A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Advice on Cooking Tofu  (Read 1441 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hey_Cinderella
« on: August 24, 2009 08:37:14 AM »

I LOVE tofu and currently in an attempt to reduce my meat consumption I've bought a big beautiful package of extra firm to stir fry with. I watched an online video on how to saute it before stir frying it, but when I try it I get spattered with oil every time. I've tried varying the heat and the amount of oil, but I still end up having to wear protective gear while at the stove.

Is there a better way to get my tofu the same consistency like at restaurants? Can I bake it/broil it and have it turn out right?  I've got a beautiful bunch of peppers and all the ingredients for a good red Thai curry, so any advice would  be greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pink tarantula
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009 02:16:57 PM »

Hi there!
It's very important that you drain the excess water out of the tofu before cooking it, that really makes the difference. I usually put something heavy on it (even just a lid or a plate is fine) for like 20 minutes, and then cut in in cubes and panfry it (only with olive oli - I'm Italian :-) It will make a nice brown crust and taste really nice.

Here's a link too http://www.ehow.com/how_2115830_prepare-firm-extra-firm-tofu.html

Good luck with eating less meat! I'm a happy vegetarian.. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009 02:22:26 PM »

What kind of oil do you use? Different oils have different temperatures that they work best at. Maybe try peanut or coconut oil. And getting the extra water out should help. Water + hot oil = popping and bodily injury.

BTW, I used to make tofu curry with peanut butter, coconut milk, red curry paste and red bell peppers, no frying needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
Hey_Cinderella
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009 04:39:20 PM »

I squeezed the tofu extra extra and escaped the saute process unscathed.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mararara
cupcake queen!

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009 06:51:01 AM »

My favourite way to cook tofu, and what I think gives the best texture is to use a sandwich press (or like a George Foreman grilling machine!)...I know it seems kind of random if you're stir frying everything else, but for any meal that requires fried tofu it's the healthiest option too. You want firm/extra firm tofu in a stir fry/curry, I squeeze the tofu gently over the sink, then slice into 1cm slabs which I half/quarter into triangles, and grill on the sandwich press. The motion of squeezing the lid down seems to get rid of the exces moisture, there's no splatter, the texture rules, it's quicker than conventional frying, and you only need spray oil so it's low fat.

And that's the long winded description of what I find to be the best way to prepare tofu!
Hope this helps, even though you seem to have mastered the splatter Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cat2007
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009 06:06:33 PM »

what I've done for a few years now is this:
freeze the tofu
once it's thawed in the fridge, use your hands and about half a dozen paper towels to press out the liquid.  freezing give it a more 'meat like' texture.

I've fooled my 'red meat' guy many times with my odd looking chicken.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
NikkiZBM
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009 10:29:31 AM »

Two books, Vegan with a Vengeance and Veganomicon, both by Isa Chandra Moskowitz have good instructions on making tufo several different ways (baked, broiled, grilled...).  They're both worth checking out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hey_Cinderella
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009 08:36:50 PM »

I'll have to check those books out! I've been looking for some good vegan recipe books. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleredhen
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009 01:09:39 AM »

what I've done for a few years now is this:
freeze the tofu
once it's thawed in the fridge, use your hands and about half a dozen paper towels to press out the liquid.  freezing give it a more 'meat like' texture.

I've fooled my 'red meat' guy many times with my odd looking chicken.

This is what I do as well. I have texture issues and cannot stand the texture of tofu unless it's blended into something or has been frozen before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missmuffcake

Spicy but sweet!

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009 05:24:18 PM »

Also try the extra firm baked  & sprouted tofu on the market right now. I like it for stir fries!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Stop Motion Animation with IKITMovie
Peachpit TV: Photoshop CS3 - Happy Little Tree
Peachpit TV: Photoshop CS3 - Make It Rain
How a Pixel Gets its Color - Bayer Sensor
Overlay Adjustment layer in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...