A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,620
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need sci-fi food (or: Take me to your food cubes!)  (Read 8930 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009 11:14:46 PM »

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster's a GREAT idea! You could make The Water of Life from Dune. Berry Lemonade packet, vodka, ginger ale. Super-blue!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
ojy

E.C.? Meh. Spike is way hotter.

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009 10:03:46 PM »

Okay, I have a lot of suggestions, so I will break them down by show, with the misc ones at the end. That way, I can explain the significance/meaning behind something if need be. I noticed most people suggested drinks, which is great, but you need some thing other than beverages at your party obviously. I made one collective list for you to consider and added all your ideas and those suggested to it as well, kinda to help with organized thoughts. (I'm a virgo - I'm just kinda OCD like that at times...) Very long post, sorry about that.

So let's start here:

Star Trek
Romulan Ale - several recipes are out there, the best sounding one I have seen is for equal parts Vodka, Triple Sec, Blue Curacao, and Lemonade. For a non-alcoholic version, blue raspberry koolaid works perfect. Also, the company that makes all the themed energy drinks put out a Romulan Ale drink earlier this year to celebrate the new movie.
Klingon Bloodwine - I have a great recipe for an alcoholic version, but it is too long to post here, so I will post it somewhere else and link it back here when I am done. For a non-alcoholic version, I would suggest a cherry/black cherry koolaid mix with gelatin in it for viscocity.
Gagh - A Klingon favourite. There are two options for this. For an entree/starch, I would suggest buckwheat noodles with a brown sauce, such as Yakisoba or LoMein. For a dessert or silly snack, gummy worms or sour worms work.

Dune
Several people have suggested spiced drinks, but how about spiced apples or pears?

Doctor Who
Jelly Babies
TARDIS cake - A cake decorated like the TARDIS
Screwdrivers.... C'mon, I'm shocked no one else said it!

Farscape
Foodcubes - Chocolate wafer cookies?
Crackers - You know, to pay homage to episode 26, where they are all cracker crazy.

Futurama!
Slurm
Popplers - Chicken poppers would be most accurate, but if you need an excuse for a veggie, fried okra!
Panucci's Pizza

Babylon 5
Bagna Cauda - Kinda like fondue. Italian dish popularized by being mentioned on Bab5.
Spoo - Defined as "Meat Jello" Allegedly the most delicious food in the universe. Perhaps a pressed meat, something like spam, or a meat dip for cracker garnish?

Stargate
Earl Grey
Stargate is a military heavy show, so I suppose one idea would be to incorporate MRE components into the fare. Like the peanut butter packets by the crackers.

Firefly
Granola Bars or Rice Crispy Treat bars - oooohhh, presented on the table in a wooden crate....
This one was a real toughie to come up with things for, but I used this for interpretation:

BOOK: "It's not much -- I had a garden at the Abbey, thought I should bring what I could."
SIMON: "It's very kind of you to share with all of us."
ZOE: "I'm gonna make a plate for Wash..."
BOOK(to Simon): "Well, it won't last, and they're never the same when they're frozen. The important thing is the spices. A man can live on packaged food from here 'til Judgment Day if he's got enough rosemary."
DOBSON(over this, to Jayne): "Can you pass me the tomatoes?"

So I thought, how about a Tomato and Mozzarella salad with Rosemary and Olive Oil (or italian dressing works too)

Misc
Tang
Soylent Green - Green tinted sugar cookies cut into wafers
Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Hitchhiker's Guide
Flek - A favourite food of Orkans (Mork and Mindy!!!!) Is actually a white plant stalk, so stuffed celery. Or you can do one of my favourite snacks, it could appear to be a cooked Flek stalk. Mix salsa with cream cheese, spread on smaller tortillas, roll them up and chill them. Flek is normally a dessert, so a sweet filling would work as well.

And finally:

Rolls out burger meat on a sheet pan, sprinkle it with onions and fold the meat onto itself. Then, cut small onion stuffed squares of meat to fry/grill. You have yummy little onion filled burgers. Also known as - Sliders!!

Sadly, I couldn't really think of anything for Star Wars. Maybe some Boba Feta?  Grin Yeah, terrible, I know.
I couldn't come up with anything for Battlestar Galactica either, because I am not that familiar with that show. I suppose you could serve - Starbuck's coffee....  Cheesy

Oh, one more random comment. I think it would be really awesome if you printed the recipes you used, or at least the menu, into little books to decorate the table, or for keepsakes, and titled them To Serve Man. Thats some old school sci fi for ya! (I am big on party/event planning, anyone notice that yet?)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009 10:08:05 PM by ojy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps:

-----------
Will do personal swaps to receive fabric yardages. Also, if you are looking for costume work, I will work in trade or swap. I have an available Singer Pixie, is anyone interested?
beccabadger
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009 04:26:49 AM »

For Stargate related, how about the Asgard food cube things? The ones that Sam spits out when she's trying to figure out the replicators. I imagine they'd be quite easy to make with coloured icing?

What about tuttleroot soup from Atlantis? You could use parsnip soup or something?

Guango/ojen fruit from SG1? (Cross between guava and mango?)

Use food colourings on some corn to make kassa?

And if you want something more normal to eat, there's plenty of pizza, steak, sandwiches, jello, macaroons, fruit cups, lemon chicken (unless you're McKay of course  Wink) mentioned on Stargate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragadyanne400

Am I a llama?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009 04:10:02 AM »

Battlestar Galactica-
-For algae you could serve seaweed salad
-Make labels for water bottles that say something like "Aerelon Springs Water" and put the water bottles out in a box marked "Battlestar Galactica emergency supplies"
-Square food with the corners cut off

Star Trek
Here's a link I found to a huge database of Star Trek food and drink organized by species and culture.

I think that the tape worm (hot dog) sandwich filling from this post would make good Gagh.

Idiocracy - Gatorade relabeled as brawndo

Clockwork Orange - A drug free (but alcohol heavy) version of Moloko Plus

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009 04:12:52 AM by ragadyanne400 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2009 03:23:12 PM »

I suspect the OP's party took place already, but hey.  Grin

I just recently re-watched Babylon 5.  There is a scene in "Walkabout" where G'Kar offers Na'Kal a dish, and Na'Kal takes it to be breen, imported from the Narn homeworld.  G'Kar explains that it is actually Swedish meatballs.  "It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs. I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never get explained or which will drive you mad if you ever learned the truth."  So, Swedish meatballs would be a good food to serve.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TazFromOz

Invisible Bicycle... wait a minute!

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010 10:54:27 PM »

Mudders Milk should be a dark beer.  Dark beer also tastes great spiced.  Nutmeg and cinnamon would taste great in a good dark beer.  So, yeah, a good dark beer should do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
hardyjenni
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010 04:58:48 PM »

instead of putting sugar on gummy bears, you can go to central market or whole foods and get the organic vegan gummy bears.  They already have sugar on them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I try to be crafty in the kitchen! Visit my budget cooking page!

http://tinyurl.com/STLmeals
blackie.sage
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010 07:08:16 AM »

Omfg. I know other people have said it, but make Fruity Oaty Bars.

Every year for Anime Detour (at least the last three years), I've made my own Fruity Oaty Bars to take for snacks (because I never hit the consuite at the right time. T__T). My friends and people who try them say they're pretty darn awesome.

... I wish I could find my recipe!!! I can't get to Detour this year so I haven't been looking for it...

It's a mix of Fruity Pebbles (or the generic brand), rolled oats, dried cranberries, almonds, whole wheat flour and honey. Then I put it in a 8x8 pan and bake it until it starts to smell good, then I turn off the oven and leave them in there until it's cooled (it makes them more crunchy and less gooey).

Just find a nice granola bar recipe and add Fruity Pebbles or Trix or Froot Loops. hehehe.

OH. WAIT. Here it is. lol.

1 1/2 cups rolled or instant oats
3/4 cup Fruity Pebbles/fruity and colorful cereal of choice
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup sliced almonds
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup whole wheat flour

Bake at 375 degrees Farenheit until the house/apartment starts to smell fruity delicious (like.... 20 minutes, maybe? I never time it.), then turn oven off and let it cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."

Current obsessions: Decoden and fairy kei!
Tumblr!
Melonberry Mint @ Storenvy
hardyjenni
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2010 01:58:59 PM »

this might be a little lame, but you could make a signature shot and call it a V flu shot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I try to be crafty in the kitchen! Visit my budget cooking page!

http://tinyurl.com/STLmeals
Pentoon
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010 04:45:39 PM »

I know this is probably way passed due but you can make spiced coffee with cinnamon, nutmeg ginger and cardamom.

And did nobody sugest blue milk from Star Wars?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon SD770 IS: Set Delete Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set Auto Mode Function
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Sunset Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Sports Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Product Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...