A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,892
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need sci-fi food (or: Take me to your food cubes!)  (Read 8361 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dustyfro
« on: August 23, 2009 11:32:47 PM »

I'm throwing a science fiction themed party and I'm in need of great space age treats.  Here are some things that are on the menu so far:
Tang
Soylent Green (green tinted sugar cookies cut into wafers)
Food Cubes and cheese (from Farscape, saltines and cheese)
Jelly Babies (from Doctor Who.  If I can't find the real thing, I'll just sprinkle some sugar on gummy bears)
Romulan Ale (from Star Trek.  I found a recipe that includes rum, blue curacao, and everclear, but I'm not real confident in my drink mixing abilities...Do they still make Pepsi Blue?)
TARDIS cake (from Doctor Who, a cake decorated like the TARDIS)

I might try to make some chinese food ala Firefly, but I don't know what I'd make.

So lemme have it.  What's your favorite Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly, Doctor Who, Stargate, Dune, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, whatever else inspired meal or snack?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
queensqueeze
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009 05:17:32 AM »

Funnily enough my fave food scene in Firefly is when Kaylee eats the strawberry that the Shepherd uses to help pay his passage!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chickology
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009 05:24:31 AM »

Use gummi worms or something as Gakh from Star Trek?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Currently obsessing over tattoos, cupcakes and hand made Christmas presents. So much to do, so little time!

Yet another tattoo swap - Crafting - 99% done
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=315831.0
http://wists.com/Chickology
neverchewapickle

Somewhere between victorian and rockabilly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009 04:32:04 PM »

Playing on queensqueeze's idea. You could do dehydrated strawberries. Like space travel (and hiking) Most food is dehydrated or freeze dried. Theres a few great recipes floating around. You have my brain running a thousand miles a minute so I may come back here in an hour with some more ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neverchewapickle

Somewhere between victorian and rockabilly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009 06:56:59 PM »

I apologize ahead of time, I'm getting carried away. For firefly you could do a spin on fruity oaty bars. For Battlestar, you could do algae looking things (ambrosia, goop[cottage cheese, lime jello, whipped cream I know it sounds gross but its pretty yummy]. Chocolate oatmeal no bake cookies to look like meteors, jello in piping bag to look a little like space rations or to play on newer star wars shape shifter abilities. I think that's as far as my short creativity leash will let me go... Hope I could help a little bit... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
foreverandalways
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009 02:02:51 PM »

You NEED "Ice Planets"!!! " "My food is problematic."

If you Google it, there are even several recipes!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dustyfro
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009 01:27:10 PM »

I LOVE the ice planets!  Where am I going to find a mould for that though?  I bet those balls they have in pits at pizza restaurants would be the right size, but I'm not about to dive in and pick a bunch out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
nurseninja

It's a BOY! Due FEB 22!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009 11:15:49 PM »

Tea, earl grey, hot! god I love STNG!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Books free to good home: 201 Quilt Blocks, Vogue: Knit Accessorize, Country Weekend Knits, Sticker Magic**
dustyfro
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009 05:16:49 PM »

Oh duh!  Of course tea, Earl Grey, hot!
Now, does anyone remember from Dune...did they drink spice coffee?  I remember the spice beer, but I don't know how to make beer "spicy" other than putting straight cinnamon in it, which could be a disaster.

I think this party is going to be heavy on the drinks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009 09:19:32 PM »

Harpoon Winter Warmer would be a great "spice beer", but good luck finding any this time of year.  Undecided  There is "spice coffee" in Dune - you could try adding cinnamon to coffee, or if you want an alcoholic version, use cinnamon schnapps.

I've had the Romulan ale you described.  You mix light rum, blue curacao, and everclear in equal proportions, and chill it.  Don't serve it to anyone who might get behind the wheel of a car in the next week or so...!

For Firefly, you could try char siu bao (although that's pretty labor intensive), or you could make "wife soup" (although that could be hazardous in a party setting).  Or you could just set out a big bowl of fresh strawberries.  You can also offer rice wine or plum wine.

For Stargate, well, they always seemed to have jello in the mess hall, so you could make jello and/or jello shots.  You could do little tuna sandwiches too - "This... is the infamous tuna torture."

For Babylon 5, hmm, perhaps you could come up with a version of flarn and/or spoo?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dustyfro
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009 04:17:02 PM »

Also, Bajoran Hasperat (Star Trek)  and a SONIC SCREWDRIVER! http://www.drinksmixer.com/drinkb1c6388.html  I'm thinking of either running my finger around on the top of the glass to make it sing before I serve it, or if I decide that's too gross, tapping it on the side and saying "See?  It makes a noise.  Sonic."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VampyrePuffin
Superhero Girl

Out of Body and Out of Mind

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009 08:57:26 PM »

Don't forget the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster!  I know there are multiple recipes out there.

For the monthly Shindig that my local Browncoats host, I've made Ice Planets before.  I used plain popped popcorn (not from a microwave bag, because I wanted to make sure there was nothing extra added) and the marshmallow-goo recipe for rice crispy treats.  Mix the two together and form with your hands.  I took chopsticks and tied thread to the end and then wrapped it around the popcorn balls.  They really are problematic to eat!   Grin
Fruity-Oaty Bars & Strawberries are also quite popular.

I'm also a fan of Soylent Green Tofu...

Oh!  And you could get strange looking items.  Like Horned Melons or Rambutan.  You could cook squid/calamari if you and your guests are brave enough for tentacles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ VampyrePuffin

"In my headphones
It sounds so right, it sounds just like Im there
In my headphones
I sing out loud and make the bus stop people stare
In my headphones
Their lips all move but the sounds all drowned away
In my headphones"
-- PSC
BeowulfsBride
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009 06:09:31 AM »

Of course you can't forget foods from pern!
Klah-coffee spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg "Bubbly Pies" any kind of berry pie "herdbeast stew" or roast Wherry,
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dustyfro
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009 11:42:33 PM »

I may have to resort to a popcorn ball or rice krispie treat version of the ice planets, even though I REALLY want to make the flying ice cream balls.  I'm having a hard time finding cups that will work to freeze the ice cream.  The best I could get were some flan cups which are bumpy and I've only got three of them.

I once found a recipe for vegan sugar cookies that used tofu.  I want to make a big sheet sugar cookie with dough dyed green, and cut it into wafers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hunnybee
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009 08:37:12 PM »

Where were you guys (and gals) when I was in high school?  My Sci-Fi club used to just order Papa John's pizza for our movie days and parties. My favorite was the pepperoncinis that came with the pizza (except that time it squirted into my eye).

But I like your ideas. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
celticchrys
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009 10:00:08 AM »

BeowulfsBride: I was just about to say Klah and Bubblies when I saw your post!  There are recipes for these in the book "Dragonlover's Guide to Pern" as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnutzz
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009 01:23:19 PM »

Wife soup from Firefly

Darkover (Marion Zimmer Bradley) foods:  nut bread, stews,   More  recipes here:  http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/8567/sweetshop.html

Have fun!

Anne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisalady161
Domestic Goddess & Closet Anarchist

...it's beautiful, and so are you...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009 05:15:51 PM »

Someone beat me to Earl Grey, hot...arrgh!

Call your beer 'Mudder's Milk' from Firefly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'First your pants, then your shoes' - Gary Larson, The Far Side
notali

I'm the other one!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009 11:59:24 PM »

For Gagh you could use buckwheat noodles.  My favorite food from STNG was celluar peptide cake with mint frosting.  That would be easy to do.  Any cake would work and you can just add mint extract to canned frosting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluesaranwrap
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009 04:52:48 PM »

you could use Mochi (http://www.kirbiecravings.com/2009/10/pumpkin-mochi.html) for food cubes.

tiny whole octopie would be throughly weird, but i'm not sure where you would say they were from. This sounds like an AWESOME party.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009 11:14:46 PM »

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster's a GREAT idea! You could make The Water of Life from Dune. Berry Lemonade packet, vodka, ginger ale. Super-blue!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
ojy

E.C.? Meh. Spike is way hotter.

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009 10:03:46 PM »

Okay, I have a lot of suggestions, so I will break them down by show, with the misc ones at the end. That way, I can explain the significance/meaning behind something if need be. I noticed most people suggested drinks, which is great, but you need some thing other than beverages at your party obviously. I made one collective list for you to consider and added all your ideas and those suggested to it as well, kinda to help with organized thoughts. (I'm a virgo - I'm just kinda OCD like that at times...) Very long post, sorry about that.

So let's start here:

Star Trek
Romulan Ale - several recipes are out there, the best sounding one I have seen is for equal parts Vodka, Triple Sec, Blue Curacao, and Lemonade. For a non-alcoholic version, blue raspberry koolaid works perfect. Also, the company that makes all the themed energy drinks put out a Romulan Ale drink earlier this year to celebrate the new movie.
Klingon Bloodwine - I have a great recipe for an alcoholic version, but it is too long to post here, so I will post it somewhere else and link it back here when I am done. For a non-alcoholic version, I would suggest a cherry/black cherry koolaid mix with gelatin in it for viscocity.
Gagh - A Klingon favourite. There are two options for this. For an entree/starch, I would suggest buckwheat noodles with a brown sauce, such as Yakisoba or LoMein. For a dessert or silly snack, gummy worms or sour worms work.

Dune
Several people have suggested spiced drinks, but how about spiced apples or pears?

Doctor Who
Jelly Babies
TARDIS cake - A cake decorated like the TARDIS
Screwdrivers.... C'mon, I'm shocked no one else said it!

Farscape
Foodcubes - Chocolate wafer cookies?
Crackers - You know, to pay homage to episode 26, where they are all cracker crazy.

Futurama!
Slurm
Popplers - Chicken poppers would be most accurate, but if you need an excuse for a veggie, fried okra!
Panucci's Pizza

Babylon 5
Bagna Cauda - Kinda like fondue. Italian dish popularized by being mentioned on Bab5.
Spoo - Defined as "Meat Jello" Allegedly the most delicious food in the universe. Perhaps a pressed meat, something like spam, or a meat dip for cracker garnish?

Stargate
Earl Grey
Stargate is a military heavy show, so I suppose one idea would be to incorporate MRE components into the fare. Like the peanut butter packets by the crackers.

Firefly
Granola Bars or Rice Crispy Treat bars - oooohhh, presented on the table in a wooden crate....
This one was a real toughie to come up with things for, but I used this for interpretation:

BOOK: "It's not much -- I had a garden at the Abbey, thought I should bring what I could."
SIMON: "It's very kind of you to share with all of us."
ZOE: "I'm gonna make a plate for Wash..."
BOOK(to Simon): "Well, it won't last, and they're never the same when they're frozen. The important thing is the spices. A man can live on packaged food from here 'til Judgment Day if he's got enough rosemary."
DOBSON(over this, to Jayne): "Can you pass me the tomatoes?"

So I thought, how about a Tomato and Mozzarella salad with Rosemary and Olive Oil (or italian dressing works too)

Misc
Tang
Soylent Green - Green tinted sugar cookies cut into wafers
Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Hitchhiker's Guide
Flek - A favourite food of Orkans (Mork and Mindy!!!!) Is actually a white plant stalk, so stuffed celery. Or you can do one of my favourite snacks, it could appear to be a cooked Flek stalk. Mix salsa with cream cheese, spread on smaller tortillas, roll them up and chill them. Flek is normally a dessert, so a sweet filling would work as well.

And finally:

Rolls out burger meat on a sheet pan, sprinkle it with onions and fold the meat onto itself. Then, cut small onion stuffed squares of meat to fry/grill. You have yummy little onion filled burgers. Also known as - Sliders!!

Sadly, I couldn't really think of anything for Star Wars. Maybe some Boba Feta?  Grin Yeah, terrible, I know.
I couldn't come up with anything for Battlestar Galactica either, because I am not that familiar with that show. I suppose you could serve - Starbuck's coffee....  Cheesy

Oh, one more random comment. I think it would be really awesome if you printed the recipes you used, or at least the menu, into little books to decorate the table, or for keepsakes, and titled them To Serve Man. Thats some old school sci fi for ya! (I am big on party/event planning, anyone notice that yet?)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009 10:08:05 PM by ojy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps:

-----------
Will do personal swaps to receive fabric yardages. Also, if you are looking for costume work, I will work in trade or swap. I have an available Singer Pixie, is anyone interested?
beccabadger
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009 04:26:49 AM »

For Stargate related, how about the Asgard food cube things? The ones that Sam spits out when she's trying to figure out the replicators. I imagine they'd be quite easy to make with coloured icing?

What about tuttleroot soup from Atlantis? You could use parsnip soup or something?

Guango/ojen fruit from SG1? (Cross between guava and mango?)

Use food colourings on some corn to make kassa?

And if you want something more normal to eat, there's plenty of pizza, steak, sandwiches, jello, macaroons, fruit cups, lemon chicken (unless you're McKay of course  Wink) mentioned on Stargate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragadyanne400

Am I a llama?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009 04:10:02 AM »

Battlestar Galactica-
-For algae you could serve seaweed salad
-Make labels for water bottles that say something like "Aerelon Springs Water" and put the water bottles out in a box marked "Battlestar Galactica emergency supplies"
-Square food with the corners cut off

Star Trek
Here's a link I found to a huge database of Star Trek food and drink organized by species and culture.

I think that the tape worm (hot dog) sandwich filling from this post would make good Gagh.

Idiocracy - Gatorade relabeled as brawndo

Clockwork Orange - A drug free (but alcohol heavy) version of Moloko Plus

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009 04:12:52 AM by ragadyanne400 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2009 03:23:12 PM »

I suspect the OP's party took place already, but hey.  Grin

I just recently re-watched Babylon 5.  There is a scene in "Walkabout" where G'Kar offers Na'Kal a dish, and Na'Kal takes it to be breen, imported from the Narn homeworld.  G'Kar explains that it is actually Swedish meatballs.  "It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs. I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never get explained or which will drive you mad if you ever learned the truth."  So, Swedish meatballs would be a good food to serve.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TazFromOz

Invisible Bicycle... wait a minute!

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010 10:54:27 PM »

Mudders Milk should be a dark beer.  Dark beer also tastes great spiced.  Nutmeg and cinnamon would taste great in a good dark beer.  So, yeah, a good dark beer should do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ever stop to think and forget to start again?
hardyjenni
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010 04:58:48 PM »

instead of putting sugar on gummy bears, you can go to central market or whole foods and get the organic vegan gummy bears.  They already have sugar on them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I try to be crafty in the kitchen! Visit my budget cooking page!

http://tinyurl.com/STLmeals
blackie.sage
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010 07:08:16 AM »

Omfg. I know other people have said it, but make Fruity Oaty Bars.

Every year for Anime Detour (at least the last three years), I've made my own Fruity Oaty Bars to take for snacks (because I never hit the consuite at the right time. T__T). My friends and people who try them say they're pretty darn awesome.

... I wish I could find my recipe!!! I can't get to Detour this year so I haven't been looking for it...

It's a mix of Fruity Pebbles (or the generic brand), rolled oats, dried cranberries, almonds, whole wheat flour and honey. Then I put it in a 8x8 pan and bake it until it starts to smell good, then I turn off the oven and leave them in there until it's cooled (it makes them more crunchy and less gooey).

Just find a nice granola bar recipe and add Fruity Pebbles or Trix or Froot Loops. hehehe.

OH. WAIT. Here it is. lol.

1 1/2 cups rolled or instant oats
3/4 cup Fruity Pebbles/fruity and colorful cereal of choice
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup sliced almonds
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup whole wheat flour

Bake at 375 degrees Farenheit until the house/apartment starts to smell fruity delicious (like.... 20 minutes, maybe? I never time it.), then turn oven off and let it cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."

Current obsessions: Decoden and fairy kei!
Tumblr!
Melonberry Mint @ Storenvy
hardyjenni
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2010 01:58:59 PM »

this might be a little lame, but you could make a signature shot and call it a V flu shot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I try to be crafty in the kitchen! Visit my budget cooking page!

http://tinyurl.com/STLmeals
Pentoon
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010 04:45:39 PM »

I know this is probably way passed due but you can make spiced coffee with cinnamon, nutmeg ginger and cardamom.

And did nobody sugest blue milk from Star Wars?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zombie
hm. i'll fill this in when i think of something clever...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2010 11:02:49 AM »

Totally late, but I'm running with the idea anyway. For Ice Planets, why not try out the mochi ice cream balls in vanilla and make them all miniature with popsicle sticks or wooden bbq skewers as the stick. Or Back to the Future "dehydrated" pizzas. Either make them mini size or slice them up. You can even do the half pepperoni, half...(green beans? lol).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2010 11:24:48 AM »

My sister threw a sci fi themed party for a friend and I made a lot of the food. Make a close encounters mashed potato mountain. I made a huge pile of potatoes with sour cream and cheese and fried onions (maybe you could add bacon or ham and substitute green onions or chives) and shaped it to look like a mountain then baked it in the oven to firm it a little more.

I made a weird cocoction that I called "Soilent Green". I don't know exactly what I did but I made a loaf out of green lentles, split peas, spiralina and some other things (maybe some bread crumbs) added garlic, green onions, herbs salt and pepper, ground it together in the blender, made a meat loaf like thing and tagged it "Soilent Green - made with 100% free range vegetarians." It was a joke not really meant to be eaten, but people thought it wasn't bad. There was a suggestion that if it had had a sauce it would have been better. Maybe a spinach and cream cheese sauce (and more spiralina) to go with the theme of green. You definately could play with it. Spiralina can be found in health food stores, I believe. My friend brought it over for the added color I needed.

I know there was a third odd thing I did, but I can't remember.

You could make neon "Jello" shots with gummy worms or other creepy things. You could make some "space balls" or meteorites out of meat loaf with veggies sticking out, or a variation of a Scotch egg.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eleka
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2010 03:10:41 PM »

I saw that you mentioned poplars from futurama! Every time I see that episode I think of deep fried battered shrimp.  Yum
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Rule of Thirds in Photography
Vertical Vs. Horizontal Photography
Selecting Image Quality on Your Digital Camera
Digital SLR Photography Tips
iPhone Photography Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...