A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,152
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Failed Dye Job-but maybe I should keep it?  (Read 6364 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pyrobaby
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2009 08:41:43 AM »

Sorry to bump but just got done dyeing a blazer and some pants bright purple myself  Grin I don't know much about black, but considering how many little old ladies here in Japan run around with purple hair from dye fading I can believe it'd be hard to use!

I don't have a pot big enough that I would feel ok cooking dye in (maybe it's safe after you wash it but any soup I ever make again would taste funny to me psychosomatically), and washers here don't have hot water, so my first few attempts at dyeing clothes really bombed. Sad This is what has worked for me:

I use a heavy-duty plastic bucket. First I boil a pot of water and mix the dye (more than it asks for on the instructions) and some salt, stir it (I use the handle of my toilet plunger LOL), put in the fabric (already wet), stir it a bit, and then I use a cold-water setting powder I found in my craft store. The company is called "Best Color," but I'm sure there are other brands that make something similar. It claims to make color take better without heat. So I dump that in and stir it all up, then take the bucket to the shower and put in the rest of the water, put another smaller bucket over it to push everything down into the dye, and come back and stir it every now and then. I leave the clothes in there a LOT longer than the package says just to be sure - if it says 30 mins I'll do an hour or more.

Also, I tend to never try and dye anything any color other than a darker/brighter shade of what it already was, unless it's something really light & neutral like white or beige. Scared of what would come out  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
koffeewitch
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2009 11:32:47 AM »

I like the colors, too.  I think if you found some cool buttons for the maroon one to make it a little more "edgey" it could really look great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Street Seen: Anna Dello Russo H&M Takeover
Shop Around: Maison Kitsuné
Shop Around: Creatures of Comfort
100 Perfect Outfits: Lauren Edelstein
A Back-to-School Look That Mixes Global Style and Feminine Form
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...