A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thinking of investing in a cricut...question!  (Read 2611 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kayleeismynamehey
« on: August 23, 2009 06:11:00 AM »

I've been considering buying a cricut for a while, so now I'm trying to decide which one I want. I know I don't want the big cricut expressions one, as my scrapping space is limited. My question is, what's the difference between a cricut personal cutting machine and a cricut create
I can't seem to nail down the differences.
I'd also like to know which of these you guys use or recommend, and is cricut better than cuttlebug?
Usually I don't spend big money on scrapbooking supplies, so I'm kind of new at this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lylacfey
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009 05:40:14 AM »

I am a big Cricut girl. I post over at the Cricut MB. I promise you more like it than not you will upgrade to the Expressions. Yes, it's a big machine. It is two Cricut lengths. It is the best investment.

I do have both. Most of us that have both either bought the machine when it first came out or bought the small one and it stopped fitting our needs.

None of the Disney cartridges will cut out correctly with the smaller Cricut. The Expressions was designed with the Disney cartridges in mind. If you use SCAL (Sure Cuts A Lot) it does work better with Expressions.

I am not trying to make you buy something you don't need. I just always feel bad for the girls who have bought a smaller Cricut and realized they need a big one.

There is a huge difference between the Create and Baby Cricut. Over at the Cricut MB we called the original Baby Bug. Create is just like the Expressions only smaller. Baby Bug is essentially first generation Cricut. Nothing really fancy.

I still use mine and when I get it out I actually am looking for buttons that are on my Expressions, lol.

Cuttlebug can not be compared to a Cricut. Cricut is an electronic die cutting machine. The cartridges are expensive but a lot of times you can buy them for $25. One Cuttlebug die can cost $10 and have a couple of images. Cricut carts have over 100 on regular 50 on solutions. Some have less and some have more but that is a good estimate.

Cricut can hook up to your computer so you can use Design Studio or Sure Cuts Alot. You can create your own designs. The Cuttlebug can not. 

The Cuttlebug is a steel rule die machine. You can use Sizzix, QuicKutz, Cuttlebug and other steel rule dies. You can also emboss with it. That is the CB's biggest selling point. The more you get into this world you will either own a CB or Big Shot to go along with your Cricut's. Most of us own them just so we can emboss. I could not get a long without my CB machine now. I actually keep it with my embossing tools.

I have a BigShot that I keep with my steel rule dies. My DH just snagged back some of my die cutting machines from my Mom. He was a little irked I gave them away, lol.

What are your crafting needs? Sometimes I recommend getting the CB over the Cricut. A lot of crafter's it's enough. Then some feel limited. I have all the die cut machines.

I don't drink, smoke, drive and barely eat. This is my big hobby.

Any questions don't be afraid to ask. I know these machines are expensive and dreams. I want you to get the best for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97658832@N05/

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gelyafey/

Organize your life around your dreams and watch them come true.
BabyDragon

McGee = Probalicious

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009 09:53:03 PM »

Cuttlebug can not be compared to a Cricut. Cricut is an electronic die cutting machine. The cartridges are expensive but a lot of times you can buy them for $25. One Cuttlebug die can cost $10 and have a couple of images. Cricut carts have over 100 on regular 50 on solutions. Some have less and some have more but that is a good estimate.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but where can the cartridges be found for $25?  The cheapest I've ever been able to find is $39.99.  Is it a local mom n' pop store or an online supplier? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hey Griff--Chupathingy!  How 'bout that?" ~~Sarge;Red vs Blue

"I don't participate in shoddy craftsmanship! USE THE STENCIL! DO IT!" ~~Dena;The Guild

Current WIP: Afghan in Homespun's "Gothic" Purple
lylacfey
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009 10:27:28 PM »

CreativeExpress.com is where I buy my carts for $25. Usually they are the older ones but I have got some new ones for that price.

OhMyCrafts is another retailer who sales cheap. They have some problems with shipping. You can read the Cricut board and get reviews. I wouldn't go with their Ebay store but their web based store if you go that route.

Michael's around the Holiday times will sale carts for $25-$30. I got Tinkerbell and Friends around Mother's Day for that price. That was a newly released cartridge.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

oddmentsandtweaks
Editor In Cheese

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009 12:31:06 PM »

I am a big Cricut girl. I post over at the Cricut MB. I promise you more like it than not you will upgrade to the Expressions. Yes, it's a big machine. It is two Cricut lengths. It is the best investment.

I do have both. Most of us that have both either bought the machine when it first came out or bought the small one and it stopped fitting our needs.

None of the Disney cartridges will cut out correctly with the smaller Cricut. The Expressions was designed with the Disney cartridges in mind. If you use SCAL (Sure Cuts A Lot) it does work better with Expressions.

I am not trying to make you buy something you don't need. I just always feel bad for the girls who have bought a smaller Cricut and realized they need a big one.

There is a huge difference between the Create and Baby Cricut. Over at the Cricut MB we called the original Baby Bug. Create is just like the Expressions only smaller. Baby Bug is essentially first generation Cricut. Nothing really fancy.

I still use mine and when I get it out I actually am looking for buttons that are on my Expressions, lol.

Cricut can hook up to your computer so you can use Design Studio or Sure Cuts Alot. You can create your own designs. The Cuttlebug can not. 

The Cuttlebug is a steel rule die machine. You can use Sizzix, QuicKutz, Cuttlebug and other steel rule dies. You can also emboss with it. That is the CB's biggest selling point. The more you get into this world you will either own a CB or Big Shot to go along with your Cricut's. Most of us own them just so we can emboss. I could not get a long without my CB machine now. I actually keep it with my embossing tools.

I have a BigShot that I keep with my steel rule dies. My DH just snagged back some of my die cutting machines from my Mom. He was a little irked I gave them away, lol.

What are your crafting needs? Sometimes I recommend getting the CB over the Cricut. A lot of crafter's it's enough. Then some feel limited. I have all the die cut machines.

I don't drink, smoke, drive and barely eat. This is my big hobby.

Any questions don't be afraid to ask. I know these machines are expensive and dreams. I want you to get the best for you.

I'm looking at buying one of these machines as well.

What's the difference between Design Studio and Sure Cuts a Lot? I've heard that SCAL use will void your warranty on the machine? I've also heard about the Wishblade. How does this compare to the Cricut?

One of my main aims on buying one of these machines is the ability to hook it to the computer and create whatever designs I want for cut in vinyl, paper, and to make my own custom stamps.

I appreciate any info you may have on the subject.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://oddmentsandtweaks.artfire.com
------
No swaps right now :_(
lylacfey
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009 07:36:25 AM »

Design Studio-  There are two versions free and paid. Free you can only design with the following cartridges:

Baby Cricut: George
Cricut Expressions: Plantin and Accent Essentials
Cricut Create: Don Juan

Those are the carts that come with the Cricut. If you have a paid version you can only design with the cartridges you own. For example I own 42 cartridges so I can design and cut with those.

I always tell newbies to get the free version of Design Studio. You can view your cartridges, see which news ones are out, plan your purchases better, etc...

SCAL- Will void your Cricut warranty. I am sorry there are no ifs, and's, or buts about that. ProvoCraft is very strict on it.

If your machine is out of warranty or you don't care about those things then go for it. IMO SCAL is a must have.

You can make your own stamps using Cricut but they will be acrylic. You can cut all sorts of materials from chipboard to fondant.

Wishblade: Will only cut light cardstock, vinyl and light fabric. It's a great machine & I recommend it but for most die cutters they end up upgrading to something more powerful like the Cricut, Klik n Kut or BossKut Gazelle.

I am actually selling my Wishblade. I have a Gazelle and Cricut. I am happy with those machines.

Any questions please ask. I am tired today so my brain is fuzzy. I hope I covered it all.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kayleeismynamehey
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009 10:22:07 AM »

Well, I waited and talked my mom into getting me a cricut expressions for christmas as it was on sale at walmart for $188 with plantin schoolbook and the serenade solutions cartridge. I'm glad I waited, and now I'm counting down the seconds until the 25th! Thank you so much for the help (esp lylacfey)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009 05:47:32 PM »

Ooh, some great info here! I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be happy with "just" the Cricut personal and am so glad I got the Expressions...on the Walmart Black Friday Special too!  I'm a wee bit giddy, I saw the infomercial a long time ago and figured I wouldn't ever be able to afford it.  (papercrafting hasn't even been one of my main crafts in the past several years...maybe that's about to change! Grin )
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009 05:47:53 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
boadicea
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010 04:05:48 PM »

You guys will love the cricut. I invested in a program called Sure Cuts a Lot that allows me to use the computer to cut all the installed fonts and more. Way better than buying cartridges!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dorkgrl26

I'm just me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010 08:40:56 AM »

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but where can the cartridges be found for $25?  The cheapest I've ever been able to find is $39.99.  Is it a local mom n' pop store or an online supplier? 

Another place you can find them pretty cheap is customcrops.com when they are having a sale. I get a lot from them and on Ebay as well, but you really have to be on top of the auctions to get a good deal. A lot of the prices on ebay will get jacked up withing the last minute or so because everyone rushed to bid with a little time left.

I have an expression and I have to say I completely agree with lylacfey, I have the expression and I have worked on a baby bug. Yes the expression is bigger, but i feel it is way more worth it if you  have the space and money. I loooove mine. The baby bug is also good, but as she said it is very limited with what you can do because some cartridges are not created for the machine. They are both great machines it really just depends on what you need them for.

I also agree that there isnt really a way to compare the cuttlebug to the expression. Cricut you simply type the letters/ design and it gets cut out. You do not have to sit and manually crank through a die. I have a sizziix system which is very similar and it takes forever to cut out the letters and make a page. The cricut you can work on your pages/ cards or whatever while the letters are cutting.

I may sound biased toward the cricut, but once you get one and realize everything it can do, you're going to love it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So don't take anything for granted, stand outside in the rain. An excuse, you know I planned it. Every ending ends all the same...

http://www.wists.com/dorkgrl26
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Easy Fishtail Braid or Plait
Hair Care Secrets Tips and Products
How to Backcomb or Tease Your Hair
How to Style your Side Bangs or Fringe
Cheryl Cole Inspired Big Hair and Loose Curls
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...