A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
318 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I price my crocheted items???  (Read 17782 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shelina
« on: August 22, 2009 09:50:47 PM »

I am about to rent a booth at a craft mall for some of my handmade crochet items. The only thing is that I have no idea how to price my crochet stuff. Crochet takes so long to finish but the supplies are so cheap! Does anyone know the right and fair way to price stuff? I don't want the prices to be outrages but I do have to make my monthly booth fee back. Please help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009 04:28:56 AM »

I do hope you find an answer to this.  Most people will not pay more than a buck or two for a potholder no matter how long it takes you to make it.  I found I could not sell crocheted items for any price that is reasonable to continue doing it at craft shows... which is probably why I was the only one at most sales.... There was one other woman who was selling crocheted stuff - she was actually selling stuff - potholders for $1 each... those towels with the crocheted top she'd also sell for a buck... she would just sell things pretty much for the cost of what it was to make them for. She also brought her son who was in a wheelchair and severely handicapped and she had a sign up saying she was selling things to pay for his medical bills....

However bad my experience was I'm hoping someone else had a better one to not discourage you... but from all the sales I did (I gave up after my second year.  I might sell one or two things here or there but mostly got people saying that they could make this or that at home and walk away) I never found the right pricing I guess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009 04:56:15 AM »

You might want to check out the business boards here on craftster; there's lots of really great info there on this sort of thing.

The tricky thing about selling crocheted items is figuring out what you can make quickly that people will want to buy for what you need to charge to make it worth making... If that makes any sense!

I think the best way is to add up your material costs (yarn, beads, anything else like that), then figure out how long it took you to make the item and multiply that by whatever you think you're worth per hour; then figure out any extra costs you need to cover (like the craft show fee)

Add it all up and see what you get.  Ask yourself, will people pay this amount for this item?

Adjust accordingly.

Many people find that the amount of time it takes to crochet something is just too much to be fairly compensated for, and most of the time they're probably right.

But I think that if you have a product that people really want or need, then you'll have better luck.

In the end, though, I'm starting to think the real money in crocheting is in patterns.

Good luck on your show!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

endlessxhorizon
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009 06:09:38 AM »

In the end, though, I'm starting to think the real money in crocheting is in patterns.

I completely agree with you about that. If you look on Etsy at the top sellers you'll probably never see someone like me who sells crochet items, but you will find people who sell crochet patterns. Out the wazoo they sell them. But I haven't given up yet.

I think a lot depends on what you are planning on selling. For pot holders or dish cloths, etc. I've found it can be hard to sell those online. I've never done a craft fair, but I think people see that and think even though it may be cute, eco friendly, whatever right now it's not worth spending a little extra buck on it over the dollar store.

Selling crochet right now has to be unique items that people don't think they can make at home and are willing to spend more for. Like pretty, quality scarves - baby hats! Baby things seem to sell like crazy. You have to find a little niche in the craft, like me with my slippers.

As for pricing my items - I usually don't use a whole skein for my items so I estimate how much I've used for the price of supplies + time (I charge about $10/hr) and then I usually add a teensy bit more (like a dollar or so to make it an even amount) which will cover shipping supplies, listing fees, Paypal fees, blah blah blah. You get the picture.

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Brandy
Find my accessories @ http://brokenhallelujah.artfire.com
shelina
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009 07:32:30 AM »

Thanks for all the info. I actually am thinking about opening a booth in a craft mall in Branson MO. It is a huge tourist town and the craft mall is always packed with a lot of people buying stuff. There is nothing there like what I make so that is why I was wondering if it is a good idea to get a booth there. I mostly make amigurumi dolls and toys. I would like to try it for a month and just see how it works out. The prices for my items just has me stumped. Here is a couple of pictures of the things I have been working on.
Any more information would be great!
Thanks again.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009 07:45:29 AM »

I would research it on etsy.  Check to see who is selling finished amis (there are A LOT of people selling them on etsy) and take it from there.

Most of what I tried to sell were stuffies as well.  I did other things that I thought would be popular to fill up space and to try and diversify my tables.  Having said that - stuffies are much more fashionable now.  I started doing shows at the beginning of the ami craze.  I might have been a bit too early for it to really kick it in.

You are going to have to time how long it takes to make your things, figure out how much it costs to put it all together and take it from there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009 08:43:07 AM »

sorry i can't help about prices but i really like that cat one.  i'm not the type to actually ever buy an amigurumi, but with something like that, i might be pushed over the edge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
endlessxhorizon
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009 08:45:08 AM »

I think since you are making original ami's you (hopefully) have a good shot. Ami's can be expensive because I know how time consuming they can be to make and construct, so definitely time yourself & determine how much you think your time is worth. I think most crafters give themselves more than minimum wage, so  keep that in mind.

I think checking out a few finished ami's on Etsy and Artfire.com would be a good idea to get an idea of what people are selling their work for. Also be sure to see if they've sold anything - you won't see the prices of the sold items, but if they've sold ami's you can assume they were for a similar price to those in their shop. If they haven't sold any ami's you might be a little suspect that something is amiss with their pricing scheme.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Brandy
Find my accessories @ http://brokenhallelujah.artfire.com
crafty01_87

I make awesome stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010 12:09:05 PM »

I realize that this is a very old thread, but this is a VERY important topic for crafters who sell their creations. I will share with you what we learn in the craft seminar course at my school:

Take the cost of the materials you used, and multiply it by 3, then figure out what you will charge for hourly labor ($7,$8, $9, ect... based on how experienced you are) and figure out how long it took you to create the object. Add the material cost x 3 to the labor cost. DO NOT let your love of creating the item/ the process influence how you price. There are plenty of people who enjoy their jobs and make good money doing it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is not being afraid to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." -Scott Adams
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Pictures of Wild Animals
How to Choose the Right Lens for Your DSLR Camera
How to Achieve Artistic Lens Flare
How to Take Great Spring Break Photos
Landscapes Photography Techniques
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...