A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: knitting needle roll (now with pants!)  (Read 915 times)
Tags for this thread: gifts_for_knitters  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bethanyjoyce
« on: August 21, 2009 08:30:31 PM »

I wanted to make a quick thank you gift for a friend and fellow knitter who let me stay at her place during my research trip this month. Not only will it hold her knitting needles, it also answers the question we pondered that week when she chopped a pair of khaki pants: what do you do with the extra fabric from pants when you make them into shorts?

here is my answer!

The outer fabric was just a remnant I had in my stash (dated 1982!). The pockets, however, are the leftovers from pants I made into shorts.

I'm not very advanced at sewing as you can see, but I have a needle roll I got in a swap last year and I managed to reverse engineer it without too much trouble.

my main bit of advice if you use old pants pieces for this kind of project is to be careful of their thickness. I cut back on the number pocket rows inside (mine has 3) and used a lighter fabric for the outer part so that I wouldn't have to sew through any crazy thick parts.

I'm pretty happy with the colorsshe's not a girly girl so I think she'll like this color palette.

oh yeah, and here is one of the pairs of shorts! I lost the other pair while river rafting.  Sad

let me know if you have questions about the making of it: there are lots of free patterns out there but I didn't use them. Once I figured out the order to sew things in it went pretty quick.

thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Night Landscape Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Museum Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Macro/Close-up Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Landscape Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Kids/Pets Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...