A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,882
Currently Running With Scissors:
791 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rolled Paper Bowl - Tutorial  (Read 104580 times)
Tags for this thread: the_big_ass_book_of_crafts , bowl , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wait4fiji
ReLoved Designs

http://reloveddesigns.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2009 07:03:54 PM »

So my new obsession is rolling magazine paper.

There are many reasons for this:
First: it's recycling in the best sense!
Second: Magazine pages are full of so many colors
Third: the materials are dirt cheap (often free) and glue sticks are on sale everywhere this time of year.
Fourth: The final result is really neat!
Fifth (and final): It's a feel good project because of all of the above!

So I saw a tutorial on making a basket from magazine pages and loved the idea. It was from that fabulous book: Big Ass book of crafts. I loved the idea, had to it do and so set about rolling magazine pages.

First step was to cut the magazine pages into 2-3" strips. I'd recomend using a paper slicer for this, otherwise you might just give up in the first 15 min. This is a time consuming project but it's so very worth it!

Then starting at the corner you roll the page, I used a small knitting needle to roll the paper. When you're almost done rolling you apply glue liberally (glue sticks are ideal) and finish off. Now you have a rod with points on each end.

Now you can use the rods as they are for crafts such as this picture frame.

I mounted the rods onto one of those simple pine framed mirrors from IKEA which I had painted black.

Or if you're gunning for the really labor intensive stuff keep going. Take the rod and flatten it. Using the knitting needle (or what ever you used before) roll the rod into a spiral being sure to glue the last 2 or 3 inches. Hold the spiral in place for at least 30 sec if not more (the stiffer your paper the longer you should hold it)

Ta Da! You have a spiral! Now make about 200 of these and you can begin constructing your basket. Tongue

The base of the basket is just one giant spiral made by adding rods and rolling it all into one big spiral. It helps if you slip the rods into one another to help secure them. You can decide how big you want the base to be, but keep in mind that the bigger it is the more sturdy it will be as well.

However if the idea of spending hours and hours rolling paper (while watching movies of course) does not sound like your cup of tea, try something smaller, like this necklace.

Whatever you decide to do with your spirals, the next step will require every crafters favorite weapon... the GLUE GUN!
Nothing else seems to do the trick.
The glue needs to dry quickly and hold fast.

Now the book where I got the idea recommended you use a stainless steel container like a wastepaper basket or something as a mold. I didn't have one and just went at it with reckless abandon... a method that seems to have served me well for some time now.

So armed with this new information perhaps you'll face your junk mail catalogs with a whole new attitude!
MAKE CRAFTS! NOT WAR!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009 10:20:44 AM by Phizzychick - Reason: To comply with craftster rules » THIS ROCKS   Logged

julietalpha
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009 07:09:56 PM »

Neat!  When I saw the little thumbnail I thought it was buttons but that's a grouse idea!  I love the shape of your bowl, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So much to make, so little time!
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009 08:52:26 PM »

So pretty!
I love reusing old magazines...I still have some from when I was a young teen lol most of the images cut out. What a great way to finally get rid of some of them. I just love spiraled, and circular shapes.
Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

simplify
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009 08:54:01 PM »

very fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wait4fiji
ReLoved Designs

http://reloveddesigns.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009 05:32:53 PM »

Neat!  When I saw the little thumbnail I thought it was buttons but that's a grouse idea!  I love the shape of your bowl, too.
Huh
So I'm quite glad I looked up alternative definitions to grouse... I couldn't understand what a bird had to do with it...
Er... silly me!
 Grin
Thanks for the input, it's very encouraging!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty gurll
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009 10:32:19 PM »

That malma mirror is totally awesome. Cheesy  Thanks for the great tutorial!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009 09:53:16 AM by crafty gurll - Reason: spelling » THIS ROCKS   Logged

queridas
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009 10:20:34 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial.  I've always wondered how those magazine thingys were made.  Now I know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fadingflowers
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009 08:12:40 AM »

That is so neat, makes me wanna try it now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teeisme

That's my boy, Petey!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009 10:14:22 PM »

Wayyy Cool.  How durable are these?  Can they be used to hold mail or those decorative ball thingies?

Thanks for sharing this!
Tee
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tee
finished the 100 ATC Theme Challenge!!
I'm the ATC - DT in a new Vintage group. Come join me   http://vintageflaire.ning.com/
candygullivy
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009 03:11:08 PM »

Hey! This is so cool. I bet this would look so neat on a coffee table or centerpiece. : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3Love is the most precious flower in the garden of life<3
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Organize Palettes and Saving Workspaces
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Customize Keyboard Shortcuts
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Choose Creative Suite Color Settings
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Choose Color Settings
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Set Preferences
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...