A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
452 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WHY CANT I OPERATE SEWING MACHINES!!! im so FRUSTRATED!!!  (Read 3202 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NewYorkgogostyle
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009 05:10:41 PM »

I can completely understand your frustration! This has happened to me before. Suggestions:
  • Like Cheyenneswthrt07 said, make sure you have your machine threaded exactly the way it should be. It's incredible what can happen if you have something just slightly wrong.
  • You should always have about a foot of thread from the spool and bobbin pulled behind the machine. If you don't have enough pulled out, it can get sucked into the bottom of the machine and cause some major knots.
  • Adjust the tension of your machine. Make practice lines of stitches with different colored thread in the spool and the bobbin. Check that the bottom looks as neat as the top. Adjust the tension dial on the machine until the thread from the bottom only shows on the bottom and the thread from the spool only shows on the top.

I really hope your sewing machine starts cooperating! If it doesn't, find someone to look at it to see if your machine has issues.

well i tried it again. and all it did was make the thread in a big knot. it seems its not stitching at all. what could possibly be the problem??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a million and one ideas.... a million and one fulfilled dreams...and counting.
NewYorkgogostyle
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009 05:13:16 PM »

Hang in there... you've got all of Craftster backing you up!

What you have really sounds kind of like a threading problem...just recently a friend called with problems on her sewing machine (she doesn't sew much, but had a time deadline bearing down on her project, and needed it to work NOW)...She said, "It worked fine then, all of a sudden, it just started making big loose loops on the bottom!"

"Sounds like a threading problem," I said. "Did you change anything with the threading?"

"Well, yes," she said, "The bobbin and its holder just fell out onto the floor, and I put them back together, then put it back in as best I could, but I'm not sure that it's right..."

When I got there, we checked the threading, and that was all the problem she had (but it certainly was enough).

Sometimes it helps just to step away and let yourself cool down. (and try to refrain from twirling all the tension dials!  Shocked If you MUST adjust the tension, do it one dial at a time, running a practice seam after each time) If your aunt can be persuaded to come back and show you EXACTLY what she did to make the confounded machine work, be sure to WATCH HER LIKE A HAWK!

We've got your back..... and we know you can do it!
(***Sounds of cheering in the background***)

aww ur sweet. I appreciate  it,well i tried to make it work again but now it seems that not only is it knotting up the thread but it also isnt stitching for some weird reason. wat could it be???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a million and one ideas.... a million and one fulfilled dreams...and counting.
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009 05:14:49 PM »

Unthread it and take out the bobbin.  Carefully point by point while referencing your book, rethread it and then put in bobbin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

guster
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009 05:39:05 PM »

Double-check how you are threading the machine. How to thread the spool thread. How to thread the bobbin thread. There's also a main page about setting up your machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandanak

I maded puppets!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009 05:40:13 PM »

Deep breath. Wink

Previous poster is right: YOU control the MACHINE, not the other way around.
It's really important to understand HOW your machine is threaded, so when something goes wrong, it's not a mystery that makes you go, OMG, it's broooooooken, I quiiiiit! You can figure it out. You're smart. Don't let yourself give up.

If you're not a person who can figure things out from manuals (and that's perfectly OK), maybe get your aunt or someone to come over and go over with you HOW the machine gets threaded, not just set it up for you and leave.

AND, especially if they're familiar with sewing machines, I'm sure they KNOW what causes, or at least what fixes, these really common problems. Ask them to go over some common problems and what they do to fix them, and then have them hang around while you sew something, even if they're not looking over your shoulder. That way, if something weird happens, they can help you troubleshoot a couple times so you feel empowered to fix stuff.

Hard to say what's going on from far away; could be the needle, could be the needle or the bobbin is misthreaded, could be the tension, could be lint stuck in the bobbin race, could be that there's no pressure on the presser foot (could be that the presser foot is still UP instead of down, that's a common beginner error),  could be that you're pushing or pulling the fabric weird . . .

Get help, figure it out, and then CONQUER this thing, by golly! You can do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To craft and to solve.
guster
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009 05:43:06 PM »

You are pulling the thread from the bobbin up to the top before you start stitching, right? If you aren't, use the knob on the side to do one stitch after you have the machine threaded and then pull on the thread from the spool. It should bring the thread from the bobbin up to the top. Pull both of those threads out about a foot before you start stitching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
guster
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009 05:57:51 PM »

Undecided I'm sorry to hear the machine is still not working!

Maybe youtube can help you. Try to do exactly what she does.

How to wind thread onto a bobbin
How to load your bobbin into the machine
How to thread your machine from the spool
How to bring up the bobbin thread
How to start sewing

Also, another beginner's mistake is to push the fabric yourself. The machine should always be moving the fabric; you just guide it from side to side to stay on track.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009 07:35:28 PM »

How about posting a message on your city/country board on craftster...to find a craftster buddy who lives near you, invite her over for an afternoon or a day of sewing, make food and spend time getting her to first teach you how to use the machine correctly (i know you had your aunt do this, but you need someone around for a few hours so you can get into trouble and learn how to get yourself out of trouble) and then to work on some of her own crafts while you just learn to sew,

in the meantime, most problems are because of threading, if you have played a bit with the various settings, you may have thrown the tension right out. Perhaps post a request on the sewing board, with the model of the machine in the subject line, to see if anyone on craftster has the same one and can tell you the 'default' settings for tension. if not, it should generally be about the middle of the dial.

Always work with good quality polyester thread

dont try and learn on anything other than fabric you are happy to throw away,

keep the bulk of the fabric to the left of the needle.

in general the flat side of the needle shank should be facing away from you.

use a fresh needle in case the one you are using is blunt,.

As someone already said, make sure you have a good 6 inches of both top and bobbin thread through the presser foot and to the back of the machine...and hold onto them...as you start to sew.

try starting the seam an inch away from the starting edge of the fabrics, in case you are starting (like a serger) right at the edge and are not catching any fabric...regular sewing machines dont like this.

Clean out the bobbin case and under the needle with a stiff paintbrush, little pieces of lint can cause all sorts of problems.

Ask lots of questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009 10:34:36 PM »

Hi!
I totally understand where you are coming from.
You can do this, and when you can, you will be able to help others.
And when you are older and can afford a great machine, you will have all the little wizz bang things that make you go oh! ah!

Please dont give up, I know you can do this, honest to god, if you lived in my city I would be in my car now, heading to your place to walk you through it.
GOOD LUCK!
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009 10:38:24 PM »

First, I think you may not be putting the bobbin thread in correctly. There is a little groove the thread needs to fed thru. You can't just put it in with the thread hanging loose. If this is correct, take the bobbin case out, pull up the machine, and clean out any threads that have been caught inside behind where the the bobbin goes. These may be hard to see. As well as any other visible gunk and thread/lint nests. Next... If you use the wrong needle, the machine won't sew. If the package says "Ball Point", it's for knits only. If it does not say Ball Point, it is a sharp. Sharps are for wovens only. They will cut holes thru the knits. Ball Points slide between the fibers of a knit, so as not to cut the knitted strands. This is Hugely important!..... Next... You don't need a foot of thread behind the machine, but you do need enough to hold onto it. If you don't hold the threads for the first few stitches, the bobbin thread almost always gets wound up. you need enough tension to keep the bobbin from back-spinning while you start a seam. Try to sew with a Medium length stitch. If your relative was able to get the machine to work, then the problem is something simple, and I bet it's in the bobbin case, not being threaded thru the notch. Let me know if it helps! And, calm down, and don't give up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jessica Simpson Shows Us How to Wear Red for the Holidays
How to Make a Tulle Skirt
Top 5 Holiday Designer Dresses You Can Rent
Save Vs. Spend: Holiday Edition
An Affordable, Complete Autumn Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...