A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WHY CANT I OPERATE SEWING MACHINES!!! im so FRUSTRATED!!!  (Read 3178 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NewYorkgogostyle
« on: August 21, 2009 03:28:09 PM »

Sorry guys but i just gotta vent. ive been trying to learn how to sew on a sewing machine since last year and everytime i am about to sew a project together my machine f's up!! either the string balls up and makes the needle not move or the needle will move but the string will come out off the needle and it wont sew, or my needle breaks!!! the first sewing machine i tried to sew on would snaggle the string. so i bought another one. This second one is a Singer 223. the string wont stay in the needle and when i try to sew the string will come out from the needle and it wont sew anything. all it does is make little stitching holes on the fabric but no string is going through them. its like im trying to sew with no thread!!! WHY CANT I OPERATE A FREAKING SEWING MACHINE!!! WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG!!!!!!! im am so close to calling it quits on trying to learn how to sew and throwing out my two sewing machine. ive had enough. i just cant believe am not able to make the freaking machine work!!!! Why does operating a sewing machine come so naturally and easy to others and for me its like im doomed to having to sew everything by hand?Huh what am i doing wrong??? why cant i learn?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?? For my first sewing machine even if i looked at the instruction manual it wouldnt help. something would always go wrong and i never finished anything. For this second one i bought a singer and i bought it off a sewing machine repair guy. Obviously it came with no instruction manual. i know i can get that manual at preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'sewingmachinemanuals.com') but i gotta pay $17USD for the manual for my machine and right now im unfortunately unemployed so i cant even afford it. im so frustrated!!! I dont know if i should just give up. IVE NEVER EVER FINSHED A PROJECT I STARTED. WHY??? Cuz i can cut alright its just that when it comes to sewing on the machine all of a sudden things start going wrong and im unable to sew on it!!! i really need you guys's help. either that or i will just have to forget about learning how to sew. I was gonna take sewing classes at the local college but those classes filled up fast. by the time the admissions office let me get choose my classes (they choose wat date you are able to register for ur classes) those classes were filled already. its like im destined to not ever learn. im so upset right now. I literally tried for TWO HOURS to make the freaking thing work and nothing. i finally got frustrated n put the machine away. ive been crying for the past half hour because of my frustration. i cant believe im finding it this hard to operate a sewing machine. i dont know wat to do anymore. guys i need help before i just give this up once and for all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a million and one ideas.... a million and one fulfilled dreams...and counting.
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009 03:36:21 PM »

Calm down and take a deep breath.

Done?

OK.  Since I'm not with you I cann't really say what's wrong, but you can take your machine back to the place where you bought it and ask what your doing wrong.  It could be that you have your machine threaded wrong or the bobbin isn't put in the right way or both, which would cause the thread not to catch and the machine to fail. 

Also if you have a chance, ask around your friends, while they might not personally sew, they may know someone who does, like a mother or an aunt or a grandmother, and maybe you can get some assistance also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NewYorkgogostyle
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009 03:43:31 PM »

Calm down and take a deep breath.

Done?

OK.  Since I'm not with you I cann't really say what's wrong, but you can take your machine back to the place where you bought it and ask what your doing wrong.  It could be that you have your machine threaded wrong or the bobbin isn't put in the right way or both, which would cause the thread not to catch and the machine to fail. 

Also if you have a chance, ask around your friends, while they might not personally sew, they may know someone who does, like a mother or an aunt or a grandmother, and maybe you can get some assistance also.

thats the funny thing though. literally yesterday i asked my aunt to come over and teach me how to sew. well while she was there next to me the fudgen thing worked perfectly. I was able to sew the crotch and one leg of some sweatpants i was making. As soon as i thought i got the hang of it and she walked out my door the friggin thing starts  not sewing!!! the thread comes out of the eye of the needle n it makes no stitches!! Its like im cursed or something!!! I dont know what to do!! Have you guys had the same problem with learning how to operate ur machines??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009 04:03:41 PM »

Definitely take some deep breaths and go do something else for a while when things aren't going well. If you can't have your aunt (or someone else) help you more, slowly try to figure out the machine. Try to find the manual on the singer website. Some of them are online for free I believe.
As for the actual problem with it not stitching, once you have a manual (or someone that knows the machine) make sure it is threaded properly and the needle and bobbin are in correctly. Start with some scrap fabric, one without stretch if you're just learning since it may be easier to sew for you. If it never starts stitching or balls the thread right at the beginning, make sure you hold the threads to the back of the machine as you start your seam.
Don't get too discouraged. Sewing takes a lot of time and practice. No one is perfect right from the start and machines can act quite strange sometimes. I feel like even when everything is functioning normally, every machine has different little personality quirks that you just have to learn before you can get the darn thing to work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NewYorkgogostyle
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009 04:06:42 PM »

Definitely take some deep breaths and go do something else for a while when things aren't going well. If you can't have your aunt (or someone else) help you more, slowly try to figure out the machine. Try to find the manual on the singer website. Some of them are online for free I believe.
As for the actual problem with it not stitching, once you have a manual (or someone that knows the machine) make sure it is threaded properly and the needle and bobbin are in correctly. Start with some scrap fabric, one without stretch if you're just learning since it may be easier to sew for you. If it never starts stitching or balls the thread right at the beginning, make sure you hold the threads to the back of the machine as you start your seam.
Don't get too discouraged. Sewing takes a lot of time and practice. No one is perfect right from the start and machines can act quite strange sometimes. I feel like even when everything is functioning normally, every machine has different little personality quirks that you just have to learn before you can get the darn thing to work.

thanks, let me try and see if i can just get away from trying to sew for a little while. Ive been DYING to post projects here but i have never finished a single project cuz everytime im ready to sew, something always has to go wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iowntoomanyshoes
Major fabric hoarder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009 08:17:52 PM »

I can only say that I have been in this rut before, but with 2 Brother sewing machines. In my case, I has two defective sewing machines. There were so many nights I was about to go Office Space on the machines with a bat in a field, but I ended up returning both of them and getting a new Singer. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew like you have never sewn before!!!!!
soorawn
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009 03:32:28 AM »

My mother's machine did the same to me.  With the years I've come to believe it was due to the fact that I never understood that machine at all.  So cool down and take your time, yes, and in the meanwhile you can practice hand sewing to finish some projects.  When I started, I couldn't afford a machine, so that's what I do.  My first project was a stretchy velvet dress with princess seams, I loved it and everybody else liked it.  It was tiring, but rewarding, and the practice is very valuable, because in many cases you will need to hand stitch some things.  Don't think you can do everything with a machine.
Now start feeling that YOU are the one who controls the machine, not the other way round, and look for that friggin' manual because that is going to help you immensely.
*hugs*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
NewYorkgogostyle
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009 10:09:38 AM »

My mother's machine did the same to me.  With the years I've come to believe it was due to the fact that I never understood that machine at all.  So cool down and take your time, yes, and in the meanwhile you can practice hand sewing to finish some projects.  When I started, I couldn't afford a machine, so that's what I do.  My first project was a stretchy velvet dress with princess seams, I loved it and everybody else liked it.  It was tiring, but rewarding, and the practice is very valuable, because in many cases you will need to hand stitch some things.  Don't think you can do everything with a machine.
Now start feeling that YOU are the one who controls the machine, not the other way round, and look for that friggin' manual because that is going to help you immensely.
*hugs*

thanks. its a new day today. i took the entire evening yesterday playing my electric guitar just so i could take my mind off my sewing machine. but like i said its a new day so i will attempt to make the machine work again. wish me luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

guster
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009 03:26:18 PM »

I can completely understand your frustration! This has happened to me before. Suggestions:
  • Like Cheyenneswthrt07 said, make sure you have your machine threaded exactly the way it should be. It's incredible what can happen if you have something just slightly wrong.
  • You should always have about a foot of thread from the spool and bobbin pulled behind the machine. If you don't have enough pulled out, it can get sucked into the bottom of the machine and cause some major knots.
  • Adjust the tension of your machine. Make practice lines of stitches with different colored thread in the spool and the bobbin. Check that the bottom looks as neat as the top. Adjust the tension dial on the machine until the thread from the bottom only shows on the bottom and the thread from the spool only shows on the top.

I really hope your sewing machine starts cooperating! If it doesn't, find someone to look at it to see if your machine has issues.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009 03:41:29 PM »

Hang in there... you've got all of Craftster backing you up!

What you have really sounds kind of like a threading problem...just recently a friend called with problems on her sewing machine (she doesn't sew much, but had a time deadline bearing down on her project, and needed it to work NOW)...She said, "It worked fine then, all of a sudden, it just started making big loose loops on the bottom!"

"Sounds like a threading problem," I said. "Did you change anything with the threading?"

"Well, yes," she said, "The bobbin and its holder just fell out onto the floor, and I put them back together, then put it back in as best I could, but I'm not sure that it's right..."

When I got there, we checked the threading, and that was all the problem she had (but it certainly was enough).

Sometimes it helps just to step away and let yourself cool down. (and try to refrain from twirling all the tension dials!  Shocked If you MUST adjust the tension, do it one dial at a time, running a practice seam after each time) If your aunt can be persuaded to come back and show you EXACTLY what she did to make the confounded machine work, be sure to WATCH HER LIKE A HAWK!

We've got your back..... and we know you can do it!
(***Sounds of cheering in the background***)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rachel Zoe Spring 2014 - New York Fashion Week - Behind the Scenes & Runway
Think Like a Star with This Celeb Inspired Makeup Look
A Natural Static Killer
How to Do a Halo Braid on Short Hair
Graphic Eyeliner at the Custo Barcelona Spring 2014 Show
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...