A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lap Quilt 5  (Read 3756 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

klum78

Actual size shown

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009 01:18:01 AM »

I did three rounds of this and would be interested in another.  Do you need a few co-organizers chinarockfishakm?  I would be willing to help if the timing worked out. 

Donniesgirl-  I don't know if you would get your squares back in enough time to do a Christmas quilt.  Last time it took at least 4 months from start to finish.  So even if it started right away you wouldn't be getting your blocks back until Jan. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
imafundork
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009 07:40:46 AM »

Oh bummer...I was hoping to use my for a Christmas gift as well.  I guess I'm just going to have to make that lap quilt myself and come up with a different idea for this one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Wistful Thinking
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
1boy1girl1kitty2
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009 08:37:27 AM »

if signups were soon (like next week or two) and were only 1 week or until full (which will fill up quick) then fabric send outs were 2 weeks (seriously there is no crafting involved this should be doable!) and then a month or 6 weeks  (plenty of time) to get blocks made and sent back then that would only be the first part of november, late november at the latest (if signups were soon) so a christmas quilt could be doable. the actual quilting after you get the blocks back would be on your time frame so it would really be up to you if you could get it quilted in time

a few of us in the last round made the same block for everyone which seriously cuts down how long it takes to do a block. you take your time learning the block (i did this with my own fabric prior to receiving every ones fabric) and then the cutting and sewing seem very quick and easy after that as you've done the block before so you are less likely to mess up in the cutting of the fabric and then when you sew you are familiar with how the pieces are supposed to look after its completed so you are more comfortable when crafting. the more blocks you do the more comfortable you are and the quicker you seem to get them done, or at least this was the case for me.

i didnt spend hours searching for a new block every time i grabbed a fabric pack and then wasnt nervous cutting someone elses fabric and because i'd sewn the block before i had it memorized in the order it was to be pieced. i was in all three groups so this was a particularly handy trick for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly - check out my profile for wishlist and wist
- looking for a HTF superhero squad knit fabric (cartoonish superman, iron man and the like)
ritapizza
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009 11:46:44 AM »

Sure! I may be interested in another round cuz the last two were so fun and I just finished my quilt from the last round! It depends when the timeline is and what the rules are...

I actually enjoy making a different block for each person because it makes it more special and unique and each person's fabrics are so different and a pleasure to work with. And I suggest sending more fabric so that we have more flexibility in what we can sew for you because sometimes I don't have enough fabric and end up making a more simple block. And maybe we can have less swappers so that the swap is easier to manage and it's easier to catch flakers. Just some thoughts...

Has anyone else not receive from southern flower from the last round??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

j_q_adams
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009 12:13:11 PM »

I'm pretty sure I didn't receive from sf either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imafundork
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009 12:30:21 PM »

Sure! I may be interested in another round cuz the last two were so fun and I just finished my quilt from the last round! It depends when the timeline is and what the rules are...

Your quilt is GORGEOUS!!!!!!  I love the colors, fabric, blocks...well everything about it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Wistful Thinking
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
1boy1girl1kitty2
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009 12:31:49 PM »

nope didnt recieve from southern flower, but a few did, i just wasnt one of them

i'm not saying that making the same block should be a requirement just a suggestion so that if a 4-6 week crafting time seems to tight for someone they might consider that as it isnt as time consuming. that way the ones who want to send christmas fabric would have their blocks back in time for christmas.

another suggestion could be only have a max of 2 groups of 12. that way there are less swappers to keep track of as well as less likelyhood of a flaker as many of us are veterans and the few "new to the lap quilt swap" only to be in one group their first time in the swap maybe? i do realize the last flaker had been in a previous round but it seems the few vets that have expressed interest have proven themselves as loyal and trustworthy. again just some suggestions
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly - check out my profile for wishlist and wist
- looking for a HTF superhero squad knit fabric (cartoonish superman, iron man and the like)
klum78

Actual size shown

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009 04:04:29 PM »

I was one of the few who did receive from Southern Flower.  If everyone didn't receive from her, I wonder why she was given positive feedback? 

For the most part I used the same block pattern.  Sometimes though, certain fabrics were wanting something else.  Like ritapizza's mermaid fabric was turned into a turtle...

I really love you quilt Ritapizza!  I think I put thato n the thread also, and maybe on your blog too?  I esp love how you did the fish and mermaid.  When you originally posted your block layout, I thought your were going to paper piece of applique them.  It seemed like soooo much work.  I would have never considered stenciling.  So lovely.  I may use that on a future quilt.

Oh and congrats j_q_adams on being featured on the Moda Bake Shop!  We have a celebrity in our midsts...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
FlashleyAshley

mashley forever

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009 12:03:15 AM »

I was one of the few who did receive from Southern Flower.  If everyone didn't receive from her, I wonder why she was given positive feedback? 

Hey guys,
I was under the impression that everyone had received from her. I was in communication with the other group leaders (one of them was her) and also PMed the people in the other groups trying to get feedback squared away. There were a few people who hadn't received from her after the swap deadline had passed so i waited (and waited and waited and waited) to leave her feedback. I actually waited to long that I got several PMs from other people in the group asking why I hadn't left her feedback yet. I was under the impression that all the blocks (or fabric in some cases) had been returned to their rightful owners. It has been several months since I sent the last round of PMs out asking if the blocks had arrived and I haven't heard from anyone regarding this swap in months. So in short, I really do apologize for those that didn't get their blocks in the mail. I know that it is irritating to have missing blocks or an imcomplete quilt. I feel genuinely bad if someone who didn't deserve positive feedback got it and I will try to fix the situation ASAP.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.ohthatashley.blogspot.com
I'm working on getting my blog up, check it out! Smiley
donniesgirl
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009 07:21:16 AM »

I wouldn't mind it being used for future Christmases - I've just been really wanting a Christmas quilt I can put in the guest room during the holidays.  Smiley  And I found the cutest bird & cat fabric online!

http://www.hartsfabric.com/retro-santa-christmas-bird-cotton-sewing-quilting-print-fabric54101.html
http://www.hartsfabric.com/retro-christmas-animals-cat-sewing-quilting-cotton-print-fabric54229.html

I don't know about the diamonds on a quilt, but I'll find a way to work that bird fabric in for sure!  Wink

I did three rounds of this and would be interested in another.  Do you need a few co-organizers chinarockfishakm?  I would be willing to help if the timing worked out.  

Donniesgirl-  I don't know if you would get your squares back in enough time to do a Christmas quilt.  Last time it took at least 4 months from start to finish.  So even if it started right away you wouldn't be getting your blocks back until Jan.  
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009 07:23:57 AM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Truth Test: Color Oops hair color remover
Homemade Beauty Recipes For Shiny Hair
How To Control Curly Hair
Short-Hair Shortcuts
Vanessa Hudgens Wavy Hair Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...