A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 306,417
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Drum Carder Advice  (Read 3261 times)
Tags for this thread: carding  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knkurz
« on: August 21, 2009 10:20:54 AM »

Hello everyone!  I will be investing in a drum carder in the near future (think: next few months).  I've been looking around, and I haven't decided on one yet. 

I am looking for a drum carder that will be able to make textured batts as well as card massive amounts [more massive than hand cards / hand combs, at least!] of fiber at once (wool, alpaca, llama, mostly).  I know that might be a tall order, since it will be hard to find middle ground with the tpi on the cloth.

I've looked at a bunch of different models, and here's what I'm trying to decide between:

*The Ashford 2-speed (6:1/4:1) with 72 tpi.  I can't tell if this is adjustable or not?  I don't really want one with multiple speeds, but I can't seem to find a regular one on the internet anymore.  I'm sure I could contact a dealer or something...

*Fancy Kitty 72/90 tpi (I can't find one with less tpi than that!  The 90 is on the main drum).  This one is definitely adjustable, and I'd heard that those wear out faster.  Does anyone know if this is true or false?  I'd like to go with a Fancy Kitty, because of the pricetag and the fact that they're made here in the US, but the adjustable thing is kinda killing it for me.  My carder is going to get heavy use. 

*Louet.  They offer a lot of different styles!  I ruled out the Elite due to the adjustable-ness, and also its pricetag.  I'd be comfortable with the Junior (only 4" wide but twice as deep) except on their site they say on one page that the Junior has 46 tpi and on the other that it has 72 tpi.  So, the standard and the classic are left, and the major difference is the tpi.  Classic has 46 and standard has 72.  I know I'd get a lot more texture with 46, but if I'm looking for a smooth batt, will I have to card it multiple times to get it that way with a lower number of tpi?  I'd rather just card my textured batt once on 72 tpi I think (but I've never used one with 46 tpi; only 72). 

I ruled out Strauch because their least expensive one has 128 tpi (!!) and that's just too many.  It's super tempting, especially since it comes with 1 1/2 lbs of FREE fiber, but my batts would be just tooooo smooth.  Price is a major consideration in my purchase, although I will shell out the extra money for one that will perform and last (ehm, don't think too dirty on that last comment). 

Okay, thoughts?   Thanks in advance  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009 12:58:01 PM »

I take it you want an electric version??  If so, than an adjustable speed IS what you want.

I'm not understanding why you want a lower tpi?  Especially if you want to blend alpaca & llama.  I do understand you want textured batts now, but what about in a few years?  You may want to go with smoother blended batts.

I have a Pat Green Deb's Deluxe (128 tpi, I believe).  It is able to do fine fibers such as alpaca, llama & angora as well as different fineness of wools.  I am able to make textured batts with it as well as very smooth batts (with a special thingee I can't remember the name of!)  It ISN'T electric though.

You can always process textured batts on a higher tpi carding cloth, but you cannot process finer fiber smoothly on a lower tpi. 

My best advice I can give you is to go with the highest tpi and an adjustable speed to enable to create the highest range of carded batts for a lot of years to come.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009 04:17:46 PM »

knkurz, Thank you for doing all that research!  I've been trying to figure what the difference between all the diffrent options are... and nothing I read would stick or really told me why I wanted 72 tpi vs 128tpi....  But now I know!  Thanks!
Also, thank you Cyndi, for your 2 cents.  Smiley Always very informative you are!  Going to google the Pat green Deb's Deluxe....  If you use it, it must be good Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009 07:31:16 PM »

There are many other carders that are just as good or  better than Patrick's Deb Deluxe.  DH bought it for me a few years ago.  Deb Menz (Color in Spinning or something like that) helped design it with Patrick Green.

He did the research with the help of Susan McFarland (Susan's Fiber Shop in WI) and that is what I got.  I can't complain one wit about it.  I am able to make nice smooth, large batts and lumpy, bumpy artistic batts with it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009 06:56:06 PM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009 06:36:57 AM »

Cheesy  I googled it.  it looks pretty nice, but they didn't have a price tag on it.  But nice thing is they are in Canada!  So maybe it'll be cheaper for shipping... One day.. probably not anytime soon though :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knkurz
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009 06:45:09 AM »

Hm, guess I should have mentioned that I'm in the market for a hand crank and not an electric due to price. 

I also forgot to mention that I'd looked up the Pat Green carders!  I've heard that they're simply the best, but the US prices have definitely gone up from what they used to be.  I think it's $575 for the most basic hand crank (I called them a few weeks ago). 

Thanks for your advice, Cyndi!  It was very helpful Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009 07:17:11 PM »

Oi!  $575 now!!!  That is a LOT more than what DH paid.  Don't be afraid of 'dickering' with a vendor about equipment.

Give Susan McFarland of Susan's Fiber Shop a  look http://www.susansfibershop.com/pat_green.htm  (920) 623-4237.

Her Deb's Deluxe is $525 and I KNOW she is willinwill  dicker on price/shipping, et al  She'll even take payments.

I have no affliation with Susan except this is who my DH bought my first wheel from (on payments) and my Deb's Deluxe from (also on payments).  I've met her in person.  She's a total fiber freak and to look at her in action you would think she is a ditz ... but she has so much fiber information in her head that it just takes a while for it to spin around to front again.

You won't be disappointed!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Choosing the Right Sushi Restaurant
The Heart and Soul of Korea in a Jar: Arirang Kimchi
Asian Twist on Gourmet Recipe For Steak and Fries
How to Make a Delicious California Roll Uramaki
How to Cook Miso Soup at Home
Latest Blog Articles
Folding in the New Year!
Tute Tuesday: Joan Jett Inspired Black Heart Soap
The X-Files

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...