A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,372
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I think trhis is a 60's Kenmore machine, One of the generics mfg in Japan  (Read 3063 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

markywmurray
« on: August 21, 2009 09:28:19 AM »

We recently purchased this machine and have been unable to locate any information on it. There is a yellow paint stamp on the inside base that appears to spell out KENMORE with the following next to it, possibly a model #? SW132 or SW 332(very faded)
The machine was cleaned and lubricated by my husband and operates very smoothly but, it has a trap door for cams on the top however we do not know what type or where to find them. the machine weighs about 30 pounds and I would like to set it up alongside my rocketeer so I don't have to swap machines during sewing sessions. If the machine images do not come through, they are in my Craftster member gallery in my name, markywmurray. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Marky

« Last Edit: August 21, 2009 10:30:08 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged
merricat17
Strange Grounds

Strange Grounds Coffee, 1417 S Broadway, Denver CO

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009 11:19:25 AM »

http://sewing-machines.blogspot.com/2006/05/japanese-clones-of-40s-50s-and-60s.html

Yes, it looks as if you are right: according to that guy's blog though there are literally thousands of different clones that were produced in  post war Japan for export.  The upside is that these were mostly really well made.  I hope you get it running right and remember to check and probably service any wiring that has been in the cabinet: I bought one similar from a thrift store and the machine itself was pristine, but where the wiring went through the wooden cabinet it was terribly worn and damaged (chewed through!) and needed professional service. 

My mom has an early 70's kenmore that she has been using regularly for almost 40 years, has never had it serviced, because she babys it with very regular and thorough maintenance- it runs better than my Brother 600i and sews through leather like butter.  So it may be a pretty good investment for a reliable machine you have there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strange Grounds Coffee
1417 South Broadway
Denver, CO 80210
markywmurray
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009 11:28:59 AM »

We thought so too, but could not find the exact machine.  Many close to it, but not quite the same.  That would be fine, but really would like a users manual and know what attatchments to use.  My hubby bought some cams he thought would work, but they did not work...have to figure out how to resell them on e-bay!!

Thank you so much for the help...will look at the site you sent!!

marky

P.S.  My hubby can do electric, so no problems there!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009 01:27:28 PM »

Identify the Type of Feet for Your Sewing Machine
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
markywmurray
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009 04:08:37 PM »

It has a straight long shank foot.  Only one foot came with it a zig zag..all purpose foot.  Does that help, or were you just sending general information to the group??

Thanks for the help!!   Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
markywmurray
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009 05:47:34 PM »

Any idea how I would tell which attachments and cams this machine would use??

Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candacerae
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009 10:34:59 PM »

You need to go to University of Oklahoma'sDept. Of theatre website and get in touch with their costuming Dept.  These machines are what they use in their costume shop if i am not mistaken...it has been 10 years but i remember that wonderful machine very well.  Coopie Mason was the shop head when I was there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
markywmurray
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009 11:24:00 PM »

Thank You.  I sent her a brief message and a couple of photos.  I hope she will take the time to respond.

marky
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009 04:18:30 AM »

Any idea how I would tell which attachments and cams this machine would use??

Thanks!!

The class 15, side loading Japaneese zigzag machines of that era (such as the one pictured in this thread) either used a low shank or high shank foot.  This page tells you how to determine which one your particular machine uses. that is why I provided the link in my earlier post.

Also, having a left needle position (rather than center) is also not uncommon on these side loading machines.  For certain feet and attachments, you need to make certain that you get the type appropriate for the needle position of your machine. (buttonhollers, rufflers and stratigh stitch feet would be an example).

ETA- the machine shown in this thread isn't a Kenmore, but it is possible that is was made in a factory that made machines with a variety of labels or badges on them.  You can look for a "JA-___" or  "JC-___" number stamped on the underside.  Sometimes it can be determined which factory it came from with that number.  If it were a Kenmore machine, it would have a metal plate that said Sears Robuck and a model number.  The first three digits of the model number would be Sear's source code.   For the Japaneese made Kenmores, the code will either be 148 for the Soryu company or 158 for Maruzen/Jaguar.

Cams for this machine will be a trial and error project.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009 04:27:04 AM by Sew-Classic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
markywmurray
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009 12:47:24 PM »

Yes it has a long shank.  I measured after your first post.  I am not sure if the post I wrote that gave the following information got to this group or not.  I had so much trouble getting the pics in!!  Technotard...a definition of my computer abilities...but I am learning!

The reason we thought it was a Kenmore is because on the front lip it is stamped in yellow paint "Kenmore #SW 3_2...not sure what the middle number is maybe another 2.  Beside that the ingraved # is JZ 51426  Under the machine molded into the metal is a large GNS.  Other than that there is a decal that says City of Los Angeles Building and Safety Department. Nothing else that might hint at her place of manufacture.

There are two screws that were obviously meant to hold a brand plate of some kind on the front to the left of the dials.  Hub. said they had never been used...screws are in place, but no sign that they had ever held anything in place.

The art deco type cabinet it came in has a stamp that says Sears Kenmore Model #5662025.

Sigh.  I purchased one set of cams that did not fit, I will try another...the ones I got were too large, so now at least I have a baseline!!

Perhaps this little machines origin will remain a mystery forever!! 

Thank you all for your help!!  marky
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 5/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 2/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 1/10
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 4/5
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 6/10
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...