A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,847
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Little Paint Makes a Lady What She Ainít (recycling and a Tutorial Too!)  (Read 5445 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MegRoseSews
« on: August 20, 2009 07:50:23 PM »

OK the original old saying is really ďA little powder, a little paint makes a woman what she ainít.Ē Itís a pretty OLD  saying, I would guess it came about when my grandmother was a flapper, which she was. Complete with a binder !! I donítí recommend wearing one of those because, when I was little I peeked in when she was dressing, and you do NOT want to know what that does to your figure by the time youíre in your 60ís. Wear proper foundation garments!

Oh yes, the chairsÖ..

To start with, these chairs looked a little like my grandmother did in her sixties. They were six typical OSH plastic chairs that had been around the block a few times to many. Somebody loaned them to us for a party and didnít want them back. They sat stacked up in a corner of our driveway for 2 years looking uglier and uglier. Nobody wanted to sit in them. They were no longer white they were mottled with brown streaks and dirt, just really, really unattractive.

Tute- A pretty straightforward project, given a set of ugly old plastic chairs.

Tools and Supplies and Method:

1)   Well scrubbed Ė use a scrub brush, pail, hose and some cleaner like simple green or dish soap- One to N ugly old plastic chairs. I have also done ugly old black plastic nursery pots. Great to use for plants for a party (uhhh take the nice bright  geraniums out first, paint the pot and then put them back after it dries) or if you can score a 5 gallon size nursery pot, line it with a plastic bag for a party garbage/recycling can. I did one that migrated into the house and is now our garbage-night collection garbage can. Itís a good size for walking around the house with and hollering out Ė ďWhere did you put your bedroom garbage?Ē or ďIím doing it! Iím doing it!Ē

2)   Several cans of Krylon Fusion Spray Paint. I tend to run out halfway through the second chair.  Choice either buy another can or decide that I liked the look of streaky paint. Hey they are plastic chairs for outside use. I went with the streaky look. You can do better I know. Go ahead back to the hardware store for another can. I used teal blue, light pink, yellow, orange, and green - just for the leaves on the lemons Ė yes those are lemons, not PacManís. No Iím not going to explain to those of you under 45 what PacMan was. Google it.
3)   For the polka dots - Big round stickers from the stationary supply store that are labeled ďGarage saleĒ
4)   Masking tape for the stripes and those little diamond shapes. You could also use the stencil idea (below) for little diamond or other cute shapes.
5)   A new sponge to cut up if you want to do something cute like those leaves
6)   A paper cutout of some stencil/shadow shape. I searched for ďlemon stencilĒ, found one I liked, printed it on regular paper and cut it out.
7)   If you can find where you put it (I couldnít) you can use a can of ADHESIVE SPRAY MOUNT  to temporaritly glue down your sticker. If you LOST IT LIKE I Did you can benefit from my experience. I have now learned I can simply use a GLUE STICK. No problem when I went to take it off the next day! Yippee that is easier and cheaper. And that adhesive sprary mount smells scary, though its great for spraying the back of paper doll dresses for easy on off. Well my little girl is grown up now anyway. And yeah to that! Now I get to play with all the paper dolls myself.

Work outside. Use newspaper and old cardboard underneath. You may want to use a breathing mask Ė I didnít, but probably a good idea. Make sure to shake your paint for about 2 minutes first. You can count to 60 twice. Heck, you can count to 20 unhhh, ok just count to 60 twice. Make  sure to spray lightly Ė Iím learning to do that Ė otherwise it drips and runs down. This is a good project for perfecting your spray paint technique, because plastic chairs or nursery pots, who is going to care about your technique?

Note that multiple color layers are nice. The blue stripey chair is just white underneath with two layers of blue on top, but I think the prettier ones are where I did half my spots, then painted a pale pink layer, then after that dried did the other half of the spots and did a blue layer. And Iím rather partial to the blue with the lemon. It was supposed to be a third orange and yellow BUT! I ran out of orange and voila! Same concept with the yellow and orange chair Ė the one with the pac man Ė oh I mean the lemon- itís yellow first, then orange.

You may want to do some sponging stenciling. This was a new idea in plastic painting I hadnít done before. I experimented with different things. I cut the sponge with scissors and sprayed the paint into an old plastic margarine tub, then dipped the sponge in there fast. Also tried spraying it on a plastic safeway bag Ė yes mostly I do bring a lovely home made bag to the store (Iíve been much busier posting in the purses and bags forum) but sometimes I forgetÖ

Over time, after a few years, the paint can tend to flake. A lot of my black plastic nursery pots are looking like they need a good scrub and a new design. Well that happens with regular paint too. Something to look forward to and I donít have to feel guilty about tossing the pots and chairs out when they are still PERFECTLY GOOD.

Have fun!

megRose

P. S. The little buggie-eyed space alien type dog is Roxie. My daughter and I just nursed Roxie back to life last week after what may have been a stroke. Boy was that scary. She is all better now and out barking in the front yard! We thought sheíd never bark again. OK, we thought she wouldnít be with us anymore by now. I highly recommend cans of tuna and chicken, fed by finger fulls when you are trying to get a semi-paralyzed staggering dog to eat and drink. Of course then for several days I over fed her, because she got better so quickly, and she enjoyed all that tuna and chicken, and it was so good to see her eating normally againÖ OK she is back to her little bowl of dog food again and used to it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009 07:54:37 PM by MegRoseSews » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucybug33
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009 09:41:52 PM »

That is a great way to spruce up the plastic chairs! Very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DaisyAlly
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009 12:55:45 AM »

Cute idea! Those look sooo much better painted. I like the orange lemon one the best, a couple of those would look great on my porch! And cute puppy too, Im so glad you could save her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Platypus Project

A - is for Asylum. B - is for Bulldog. M - is for

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009 05:05:20 AM »

YAY!!! These are awesome!!!!!
My neighbor just stacked hers up outside to throw away on Monday...I may try to commandeer them and spray them this weekend!!! Thanks so much for the great idea and the tutorial!

So glad your pup is better now, I just don't know what I'd do if something happened to mine...he's kind of my shining star. 
Thanks for the stories that accompany this too!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swaps???!?!?  Why yes...I LOVE personal swaps!!!!

"Don't judge me monkey..."

My blog.  Come along for the ride-  http://theplatypusproject.wordpress.com/
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009 06:30:57 PM »

the history is hilarious and the chairs look very cheerful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
pshimer
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009 07:36:31 AM »

Sweet little dog. Looks like an elf on a mushroom. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Taramor
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011 01:56:10 PM »

I love them - so cheerful!  Grin And I was going to throw away my old, ugly chairs - I won't do that now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane2
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011 01:49:15 PM »

I think this came too late - I  haven't seen our grungy looking chairs for a summer season or two.
But I WILL know what to do with the next lot!
Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About Different Kinds of Raw Fish
How to Make Spider Rainbow Sushi
How to Make Big Eye Tuna Sushi
How to Order at a Chinese Restaurant
What is a California Roll
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...