A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote for your favorite Bottle It Up project now! Smiley
Total Members: 302,453
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PROJECT RUNWAY: Season 6 - Episode 1 - Official Craftster Discussion Thread  (Read 7791 times)
Tags for this thread: project_runway_season_6_discussions  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nuttywoman

Help I`m trapped in the glass in my back door!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2009 03:31:01 PM »

Hi, i`m in the UK , so don`t know whether i`m watching the same series as you.One of the girls is called Sweet P ? is it the same season as what your watching ?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wendy-bird
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2009 03:58:55 PM »

And Heidi? "It looks like I sewed it, and I don't even sew..."
I completely agree. She's said several things like that which just make me cringe. I do understand having the point of view of someone who isn't a designer themselves, but I would rather it be a totally normal person. Some of the outifts Heidi wears really discredit her.
I like Michael Kors and Nina enough, so.
I thought the dress that won was kind of b.s. That exact style has already been on the show and elsewhere in the past couple of years. Not anythign new at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wendy-bird
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2009 04:04:40 PM »

I saw someone mention the Canada PR...has anyone else seen it? I watched one episode and got so angry at the challenge: they got to use 4 pieces of clothing from one of the other contestant's suitcases to make an outfit! They were really upset because of course they packed their best clothing and some of them had stuff they'd made. If I was on it I would have walked right off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FruityLoops
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

... and that's why I don't like cricket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2009 04:29:25 PM »

Hi, i`m in the UK , so don`t know whether i`m watching the same series as you.One of the girls is called Sweet P ? is it the same season as what your watching ?  Grin

Nah, that was season 4 (or 5?) I think, I forget which, they get mixed up in my head Wink  I wouldn't expect them to show season 6 over here for quite a long while yet unfortunately Sad  I get my fix from the joys of the internet, I even finally found that All Stars one, though I haven't watched it yet (of course I know who won now anyways!!)

I saw someone mention the Canada PR...has anyone else seen it? I watched one episode and got so angry at the challenge: they got to use 4 pieces of clothing from one of the other contestant's suitcases to make an outfit! They were really upset because of course they packed their best clothing and some of them had stuff they'd made. If I was on it I would have walked right off.

Yeah I've been watching Canada and Australian PR, I'm pretty sure I haven't seen that ep though so I guess it must have been from Season 1, which I couldn't get hold of Sad  I don't know if I would have walked off at that, but I certainly would have had a huge tantrum!!!  I particularly like Aussie PR cos there's sooooo much swearing in it, and on the last episode I watched one of the judges called one of the outfits "daggy".  T he he. 

Unfortunately I can't say I'd recommend Project Catwalk (our UK version), it's just not quite the same, and I can't stand the mentor guy, whose name escapes me at the moment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluwave06
Tutorial Contributor

Fifties Twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2009 05:09:48 PM »

Episode 1 of season 6 is online now: http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/shows/project-runway/project-runway-episodes/project-runway-season-6-episode-1/videos
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2009 08:25:43 PM »

Just wanted to jump in, regarding the difference between the model and her purported measurements:

Either someone incorrectly transcribed them, the transcriber's writing was poop to read, or the model should be fired for not maintaining her measurements.

If it's option c, remember that models are supposed to be walking hangers to sell garments. If they don't fit the clothes, they don't have a job. It wouldn't surprise me that some designers fire the models they hired several months previous to do a show only to find out the girl has gained 2 inches in her bum and the dress has to be refit. It's easier to just find another girl with the original measurements if it's a really complex garment or it can't be let out more than a smidge.

Holy carp, Make Me a Supermodel is actually good for something... My two cents on that issue, anyways.

The designer involved in that issue had a terrible garment to begin with. I wouldn't be caught dead in anything that looks like oatmeal wrapped around me. Nevermind his make-do dress. I, too, was intrigued by the purple monstrosity but I thought it shoulda been simplified. The winner's dress is something I would definitely wear if I ever had something to wear it to Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seamshistoric
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2009 11:14:45 PM »

I'm not good with designer's names unless they really make an impression on me, so I will make references to the dresses only. In all I hated most if not all the dresses, but the show still made me want to run upstairs and make a dress, lol.

I HATED the dress that won. Fugly left right and center. Maybe it looks better in person. It reminded me of a dirt cake without the gummy worms.

Soccer-ball-space-cadet could've been pretty with an actual skirt, and she might have gotten away with it, but the hexagons themselves were sooooo badly sewn, it looked like a bad quilting/home ec project.

I liked the red-dress-that-should've-been-black, and I think it should have won, of the best three that the judges chose.

My absolute favorite, and the only one that struck me as a red-carpet dress was the gold one with the deep pleating down the center front, going around the back at the hips. *looks up the designer* Carol Hannah. I'm watching what she does in the future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2009 09:11:00 AM »

I really liked the winning dress, though I don't think it was original. I've seen many dresses that style and even though it's pretty, it's not that special.

The more I think about it, the more I feel the losing dress had potential, the execution just wasn't great. With neat seams, without the hood and with a long flowing skirt, I would probably have loved it.

I also think they were too harsh on the purple with the patterned front. I'm pretty sure I've seen similar stuff on celebrities... Picking on the front seam being uneven was a bit ridiculous too seeing as they have a time limit and that is not the only dress that had seams puckering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tookie568
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2009 12:59:36 PM »

So, I did enjoy the winner's design, but definitely not my first choice. My two favorites weren't even in the top three, but that may be because they were more just beautiful dresses than truly innovative. I loved Irina Shabayeva's nude lacey gown with the dark sash and Althea Harper's kind of silvery-lavendar gown with the sweetheart neckline and chiffon flowers on the bust. Maybe I'm just a sucker for romantic, feminine designs. Louise Black's dress was also beautiful.

Ari Fish's hexagonal design was ridiculous, but it's always fun to have a kook on the show. I've seen the hexagonal-soccer ball work in one of Louis Vuitton's FW2009 handbags, but its a look that really should be kept to accessories.

Mitchell Hall's sheer victorian nightgown would've been ugly even if it had fit, maybe more so with that dip-dye look it had going on originally.

I also really didn't like Qristyl Frazier's merge of two completely different dresses, but I've also seen this technique work before. On threadsmagazine.com I saw a dress awhile back that had the same idea but looked Fabulous! The designer is Davia Rabinoff-Goldman. For a comparison I included an image I put together in photoshop. What do you think about the comparison?

I posted more of my Project Runway Response on my blog under the posts "Project Runway: Season 6: Episode One" and "Project Runway: Where have I seen that before?" if you'd like to check it out http://iminlovestyleblog.blogspot.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If they give you ruled paper, write the other way" Juan Ramon Jimenez
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2009 01:03:52 PM »

I'm not worried that one kook got voted off, there seem to be plenty left this season! Keeps it fun and crazy and creative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 2/12

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Why Do Women Shave Their Legs?
Woman Gets Photoshopped Around The World
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
Do Mascara Primers Really Work?
How to Wear Red Lipstick at the Beach
Latest Blog Articles
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags
Whatz Up, My Peeps?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...