A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,038
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: a tiny, tiny couch  (Read 4160 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

I Eat Art
« on: April 12, 2005 12:10:21 PM »

Not sure if this is the right board but it seemed most appropriate... it is after all a home furnishing!
Just very, very small.

I needed a tiny couch for a project, and when I couldn't find one the right size I decided to make one. It's made of about $1 worth of basswood and some fabric I had leftover from another project.

It's about 3" long and 1" deep. It's not terribly comfy, the cushions are "stuffed" with wood. But if anyone complains, it means I'm seeing tiny people and that's a problem in and of itself...

Here's the tutorial... it gets a little confusing at the end though with the upholstry. I think I need to make another one and take pictures along the way, my illustration skills are rather lacking. I also posted it on my website, http://www.dadahaus.com/articles/dollhousecouch.php with some pictures and diagrams.

If anyone needs clarification on any part (likely) just ask!

Materials:
1/8" basswood. One 2" by 12" sheet will be plenty
glue. I used Gem-Tac, but just because it was lying around. I suppose you'd want to use wood glue.
Fabric. Just a little scrap is all you need really. The piece I used was about 6" square. You'll want to use something nice and thin though. Avoid fabrics with large patterns, as it would be lost. Each cushion is smaller than an inch square.

Tools:
An exacto knife or small saw
scissors
an iron if your fabric is wrinkled
sandpaper
Constructing the damned thing

http://www.dadahaus.com/images/tinycouchtut/framepeices.jpg
http://www.dadahaus.com/images/tinycouchtut/interiorframe.jpg
The first thing I did was construct the seat frame, which is basically a box. The only catch is, the side peices are slighly angled at the back. The side peices you see here are *not* the armrests! They are interior supports.

I just "eyeballed" the sizes of the pieces. The front peice I used is about 5.5 cm by 1.5 cm. The top of piece (B) is 2cm, and the bottom edge of the piece is about 1.75 cm. Really the only important thing is the height. If the height is OK, everything else will work itself out. Standard dollhouse furniture works on the assumption that in a 9' room, the couch seat is about 19 inches off the ground. So you just figure out the hight of your miniature space and scale the height of your couch from there.

The back piece (C) is not perpendicular to the floor but also at a slight angle. This makes the back of the couch seem more natural when it is attached. The only part of this assembly that you'll actually see in the finished product is the front peice (A).

Secondly, attatch the backrest piece. The piece I used was a simple rectangle, about 5.5 by 3.5 cm. Just glue up the bottom part and stick it onto your seat frame. The pictureshows the view from the right side (so the part of the backrest piece you're seeing in this picture is the edge of it).

You'll notice that a bit of the back piece hangs down, due to the fact that it's glued at an angle. You can either sand off this extra bit or decide you don't care.

I went with the latter.

Now the fun part: upholstry. Cut a long strip of fabric, slightly wider than your couch, leaving about 1/8" extra on each side. Start by gluing it at the bottom rear, and work your way around the piece. Place glue at the top of the backrest, the crease between the backrest at the couch, and at the bottom front. The green lines on the diagram represent where glue ought to go.

Pull your fabric nice and tight as you're gluing it. After you glue it down to the bottom front, cut off the excess length of fabric.
   Cut notches in the fabric at all of the corners, as indicated on the increasingly ridiculous diagram. Do this on both the right and left side. This will allow you to easily fold the frabric over the edge of the frame. Also cut a notch in the back, opposite where the seat and backrest meet.

Take a nice sharp exacto knife and cut off the flaps of fabric on the back near the top, flush with the backrest. These flaps are shaded in black on the diagram.

Make sure you only cut the fabric on the back side of the backrest!

Tuck the flap from the front of the backrest underneath the fabric on the back (where you just cut off the flap). Glue into place.
     Glue the other flaps down. They will be covered by the armrests.
     Cut two armrests, following the same angle used for the side of the seat frame, but slightly taller than the seat. Make sure to account for the cushions. Glue these peices onto the seat frame.
     Cut short bits of wood for the feet, glue to the bottom of the couch.
   To make cushions, take a piece of foam or wood the size of the seat. Cut into three peices. Upholster each peice the same way you would giftwrap something. Place them onto the couch and... you're done!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012 02:19:07 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.dadahaus.com
Fun and Funky Jewelry, Crafting Tips, and more
http://www.indiecraftshows.com
Find indie craft shows in your area!
djungelorms friend

staying sane through grad school by staying crafty

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005 12:15:18 PM »

it is super super cute.  i'd love a tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

have you hugged a moose today?
ikissedmadonna
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005 12:19:36 PM »

WOW! Amazing. That has got to be one of the most darlling things... Im a sucker for mini replicas.

Also, great job on making it. Looks very professional.  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty, baby! <3
TheSupy

Can you handle the Supyness?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005 01:04:26 PM »

I've always wanted to make a good couch. Tutorial's a must! My previous attempts looks VERY bad. lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Eat Art
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005 01:07:45 PM »

thanks guys Smiley I'm working on a tutorial as we speak... of course, I made it up as I went along so we'll see if I can remember everything...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.dadahaus.com
Fun and Funky Jewelry, Crafting Tips, and more
http://www.indiecraftshows.com
Find indie craft shows in your area!
tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

~ living in a magical dollhouse ~

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005 04:12:21 PM »

Not sure if this is the right board but it seemed most appropriate... it is after all a home furnishing!
Just very, very small.
LOL, that really made me laugh.  I guess technically this is the right place!   Cheesy
It's so cute!  I loved my dollhouse when I was little.  This makes me want a big dollhouse again, with tiny couches and tiny people to sit on them.

I'm really curious...what was the project that needed a tiny couch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What is a television apparatus to man, who has only to shut his eyes to see the most inaccessible regions of the seen and the never seen, who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary Baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust."  - Salvador Dali
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Gloss or Keratin Treatment for Hair?
Can You Drink Your Way to Younger Skin?
Best Hair Styling Products for Women
Candy Monogram - Do It, Gurl
5 Minute Makeup to Get You Out the Door!
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...