A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,721
Currently Running With Scissors:
801 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hoarding my yarn stash has to stop!  (Read 6793 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AttieNichole

Welcoming Spring!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010 02:41:11 PM »

Two things to add to this thread.  Has anyone ever seen Hoarders on A&E?  My mom thinks I'm a hoarder, but I can't help hoarding yarn.  It's the only thing I hoard though...that and buttons...and ribbon, and other misc supplies.  lol.  But it's not like I'm keeping wrappers because they remind me of something, so I'm ok right?  lol.

Also, I'm considering using my large amount of yarn (several large totes, a couple of trash bags, some bags in my car....) and taking it to a local nursing home.  There are so many in my community and I never get to crochet with older people.  I think it would be fun and I could even learn something.  What do you all think?  I do use my yarn fairly quickly, but after starting an etsy I quickly realized how much I miss crocheting just for fun.  I haven't used my etsy in some time now.  I much rather prefer to enjoy my craft Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

attienichole.etsy.c om
ecozombie.etsy.com
pinterest.com/aimeetraveler
crazylittlekels
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010 03:27:08 PM »

Two things to add to this thread.  Has anyone ever seen Hoarders on A&E?  My mom thinks I'm a hoarder, but I can't help hoarding yarn.  It's the only thing I hoard though...that and buttons...and ribbon, and other misc supplies.  lol.  But it's not like I'm keeping wrappers because they remind me of something, so I'm ok right?  lol.

Also, I'm considering using my large amount of yarn (several large totes, a couple of trash bags, some bags in my car....) and taking it to a local nursing home.  There are so many in my community and I never get to crochet with older people.  I think it would be fun and I could even learn something.  What do you all think?  I do use my yarn fairly quickly, but after starting an etsy I quickly realized how much I miss crocheting just for fun.  I haven't used my etsy in some time now.  I much rather prefer to enjoy my craft Smiley

I think you're okay, as long as it's craft supplies Wink The real problem is when you can't maneuver through your room or house due to the amount of stuff you've kept. I think crocheting with the elderly would be a great idea! Just talk to some of the supervisors first and see if it's okay or if there are any people there who can still crochet and would enjoy it. That way they can keep their hands and minds busy and you can learn some cool things about them Smiley I wouldn't suggest you take it ALL with you though. Some has to stay for a rainy day when you need to crochet! lol. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post things like this in my blog too!
April Sprinkles blog
kristel1978
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010 04:28:15 AM »

Such a good idea, crocheting with the elderly in a nursing home. I think (hope) the staff will welcome it, 'cause if it's anything like over here (Netherlands) they don't have much time for that sort of thing.

My stash was something like yours in the photo. I just got someone else's stash added to mine, so it's huge all of a sudden... Now all I have to do is figure out what to crochet with it. The problems I have  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fochaux
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010 08:47:19 AM »

yeah I think I already posted on here about this but seriously.....I should be featured on "Hoarders: Craft Supply Edition" if it existed.  I seem to top everyone here.  My problem seems to be that I find all these awesome patterns and ideas and then go get the yarn, fabric, ribbon...whatever for the project, but it just never seems to get done hahahahaha

I'd say about 60% of our garage is taken up with huge totes of various crafting books, supplies and equipment....and who can forget the small appliances I use at least weekly for the awesome edible art of cooking
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Since my girls actually nap (knock on wood), I am going to start trying to work off my negative feedback.  Life got hectic with their early arrival.  I apologize for the inconveniences my flaking caused.
KismetFyrechyld
That Crazy Redhead

Crochet, Chainmail, Amtgard, Theatre-I do that.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010 05:06:41 PM »

My own stash is one of those 3 drawer plastic thingies, and then a single drawer to put near it once I clean my room, and then a 3-tiered wire shelf thingy. I'm sure I have more around, but I'd say it's a small-to-medium stash compared to what I know most serious crocheters have got.

I have three of those 3 drawer plastic carts, all stuffed, plus an assortment of yarn that has never made it out of the bags from the craft store...And I just downsized and put two big plastic totes full of yarn into storage! I'm looking around my bedroom and seeing 6 different Hobby Lobby or WalMart bags full of yarn (and that's just the bedroom, not the rest of the house!) Honey, you're doing good!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I started making chain mail jewelry in June 2011, and started my own company, Incendia Designs, in August 2011. I also crochet, act, sew (a little) and am enjoying being a newlywed!
owlet
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010 05:00:27 AM »

I can so relate; I really have to discipline myself when Im out to get "just one skein of this" because I used to end up getting much more for the "just in case"-scenario or buying more for a project I might begin in some time. As long as you keep everything stored away in a tidy manner, everything is okay with you Id say Grin. Just recently I did a big crochet afghan to take down the yarn Ive been accumulating for the last 15 years or so and it was kind of healing to see it put to a good use. I just got some new yarn, but only for the projects that have to be finished in the next few weeks, took me some mental strenght not to buy more though Tongue...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

+++some owls wander by mistake+++

http://bohemiancrafting.blogspot.com
Mrs. Awesome_Pants

Creative minds are rarely tidy.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010 02:54:43 PM »

I'm the last one to ask for advice about cutting back...I just bought three new skeins last night  Shocked

But I recommend finishing the projects you've already started/planned, even if it means buying a bit of extra yarn.  It always feels good to finish a project that's been on the "to make" list for a while.

My favorite stash-busting projects are scarves, baby blankets, and potholders.  For smaller rolls of scrap yarn, I make headbands, flowers (that I sew to the headbands), baby booties, and so on.

Bath poofs also take up a lot more yarn than you'd expect, and they're good for the plain old acrylic stuff since it seems to lather pretty well.

Good luck, and I love your colors Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010 03:00:27 PM »

I'm the last one to ask for advice about cutting back...I just bought three new skeins last night  Shocked

If it makes you feel any better, last night I bought 20 balls of yarn. ^_-

(My excuse, though, is that it was birthday gift cards that bought it... not me!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CrochetFactor
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010 01:01:14 AM »

If that's all the yarn you have you must be new to crocheting. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Robyn25
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2010 10:10:43 PM »

I love the Caron Simply soft yarn! That is all that I use (usually) for anything I make.
I've hoarded yarn for years too.... But only when I'm inspired do I dip into it to make projects. But It is great that whenever I want to make a project, I don't have to run to the store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Be an Architect Part 4
How to be an Architect - Part 5
The Advent Of Web 2.0
How to Create Color Schemes From the Color Wheel
How to Understand Colors for Home Decorating
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...