A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote for your favorite Bottle It Up project now! Smiley
Total Members: 302,498
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hoarding my yarn stash has to stop!  (Read 7742 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazylittlekels
« on: August 20, 2009 12:19:06 PM »

2010 update: Since posting this topic, I've gained a lot more yarn, and my stash is growing! I'm hoping that this holiday season I will be able to use up some of the yarn to make gifts for family, but I'm assuming that will end up with me simply buying more yarn! This topic was posted when I was living in a small apartment, and for some reason I thought having more than 6 skeins was a "stash" lol. I have since learned the error of my ways from all that have posted on this topic saying they have garages full of yarn. I salute you fellow stashers!

I have acquired a great stash of yarn, but I'm not ready to use it up for some reason XD
And to make it worse, I keep seeing all these awesome patterns on here and elsewhere that I would like to make, but I don't have the right yarn  Angry (or something)
here's my stash:

(this is all Caron simply soft and simply soft eco)

(this has some lionbrand and some Bernat included, just my misc pile)

Things I would like to make:
*Cupcake scarf (using the Bernat baby pink, but Idk what other color to use without making it look weird, and I don't want to buy any more  Undecided)
*Green and black scarf for my cousin (it requires another shade of green, but idk)
*A floppy hat for one of my friends (I was going to use the Vanna's choice, but it turns out that the coloring looks weird in a hat, so idk what to do with it now)
*misc Amigurmi (I just don't know if any of my yarn will work for it)
*Short 'N Sweet and FrouFrou from the Happy Hooker book (yet again, more yarn)

Things I need to finish:
*Blue daisy scarf (using the light blue and the yellow)
*Waffle stitch scarf from Lionbrand using the wool-ease
*Summer sling tote (I can't seem to get the strap right, and am waiting till I have a sewing machine at my disposal to do the inside lining)
*Plarn doormat

Things I have finished over the summer:
*Heart-flap hat http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=317937.0
*Orange granny square scarf (using orange)
*Neat little shawl (using the darker blue color)

aaaand that's it.
This is pretty much a post to keep me on track since I've been slacking in my crocheting lately  Tongue If any of you have some advice for me, I would love to hear it! And thanks for reading if you took the time to  Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010 09:23:33 AM by crazylittlekels » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post things like this in my blog too!
April Sprinkles blog
beavisfreak
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009 01:34:00 PM »

you could just forget the crocheting and send all that pretty yarn to me!  i make amigurumis! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weasels vs. birds!!!
OnePinkHippo
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009 01:39:51 PM »

Damn, I wish my stash was that tiny... Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009 06:10:38 PM »

You know, I first saw this post on my phone, and I can't see pictures on Craftster when using my phone, so I was using my imagination... really just substituting my own stash...

I don't think you have a "problem", but then, I have 12 large boxes of yarn hiding at my parents' house so that my apartment looks like "normal people" live here (we were showing it to potential new renters... we're moving, yay!)... I could easily fill three more boxes with what is left...  so, what I'm saying is, maybe you shouldn't listen to me when I talk about what a normal amount of yarn is. ^_-

My point, and I think I had one... oh! Buy more yarn if you need to.  Evidence to the contrary, you will find a use for it eventually.  Sometimes it just takes some time. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whitney@TheCrochetCafe
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009 08:58:36 PM »

hahaha... I really wish my stash was that small!!! I will get to all those skeins someday. Cheesy
I have some photos on my blog
http://thecrochetcafe.blogspot.com/2009/07/confessions-of-yarnaholic.html
Oh, and I have used the caron yarn for my amigurumis. It gets kind of fuzzy, but I actually like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--Whitney--
Check out my blog...
http://www.thecrochetcafe.com/
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009 09:17:57 PM »

I am NOT one to give advice about hoarding supplies as I have TONS of paper AND yarn to probably have my own store..

anywho..I think its an ok thing unless it starts multiplying Smiley

so crochet away..

cant wait to see what you come up with ..have FUN!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009 07:12:14 AM »

I also have a yarn - and a fabric store in my craft room - to the point that my friends actually do shop out of my craft room.  I have been trying to cut back - and on the yarn I've only been buying when I run out of a certain color for designing - although if I see new colors I have to get one or two skeins to give it a go.

I have decided this year needs to be declutter and destash time... okay, my year is a bit wonky.  I decided this in the beginning of August and actually yard saled out a TON of fabric and I'm going to do the same with yarn at the next yard sale we're having in September (and adding more fabric to the pile for the sale as well.  My fabric was a pretty good hit at the sale last time)

I don't remember ever having a fabric stash that small!
My only advice is to crochet crochet crochet - and don't get in the same boat as a lot of us over stashers!  I look back and wonder how on earth did I get so much yarn and fabric???!!!!  It feels good to downsize!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009 07:50:30 AM »

I have decided this year needs to be declutter and destash time... okay, my year is a bit wonky.  I decided this in the beginning of August and actually yard saled out a TON of fabric and I'm going to do the same with yarn at the next yard sale we're having in September (and adding more fabric to the pile for the sale as well.  My fabric was a pretty good hit at the sale last time)

Garage sale yarn, eh?  So, erm... where do you live again?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009 08:01:52 AM »

Yeah how bout it?!  I have boxes of yarn that just needs to GO.   Grin  I'm slowly going through it all.. slowly slowly slowly.  I want to find my craft room again and not lose it.  I guess after looking around the house and seeing clutter here or there I have been on a major destashing all around!  I keep looking at things and I'm like hmm... when was the last time I wanted or needed this.. hmmm....
But yeah, yarn.  going.  soon.  I might ebay some of the nicer stuff - like the silks and whatnot - but I think the rest of it is just going to go way of yard sale.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
HisTechnoAngel
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009 06:31:48 PM »

you know Deb......If you are to garage sale yarn... could you sell me some at garage sale prices and I can pay shipping??? I would love to get some yarn!! I need it for my charity projects... I was hoping to have done for Christmas (yeah right).. but will just turn into an all- year thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fran Lebowitz: The Importance of Drawing Pilgrims
Anders De La Motte on the Game Trilogy
Su Meck Talks About Forgetting to Remember
The 17 Day Diet Saved Their Lives
The Leading Indicators: A Short History of the Numbers That Rule Our World
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...