A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,395
Currently Running With Scissors:
901 Guests and 45 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Slapdash Insect Repellent - mixing it into lotion?  (Read 378 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JadedMoonlight
« on: August 20, 2009 12:45:12 AM »

So, my mom decided she wants to explore the great outdoors with my father and I, and signed us up for a nice little vacation on a whim.
I've realized that the rashes that are getting progressively worse during the summer are not simple heat rashes, but rather a lovely bout of eczema.

How are these related? We'll need bug repellent, haha. And we're bringing some, but I'm just worried that my body's going to say NO to that, and that my vacation will just be me being an itchy, uncomfortable, oozing sort of mess. Hot stuff.

I've figured out which lotions I CAN use, and also have a bottle of Citronella EO (and random other ones that may have some anti-bug effects). I sort of figured it probably wouldn't be hard to grab a lotion bottle and add in some, shake it up really well, and use that (extremely regularly, like every hour or more). Is this POSSIBLE though? Will the EO actually get dispersed, or will it simply sit on top of the lotion? Should I heat the lotion up and then add?
How much EO to how much lotion (for instance, 20 drops to 8fl oz of lotion)? I remember people saying that lemongrass is uncommonly pungent and strong - does this need to be taken into account for citronella, since they're pretty similar (of the same genus, even)?
Do you think that amount of EO would be irritating to the skin?

And last but not least, because we're bringing along my puppy (who's really 9.5 years old, but who would know Wink ), do you think it's safe to place a drop or two of citronella and such on her collar, on the outside? I've never read citronella being contraindicated for canines (though I believe it's so for felines), but if anyone has had experience otherwise, I'd love to hear about it. She's also got all her shots and will have freshly applied Frontline and worm pills, so this is just extra precaution.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pink zebra
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009 01:03:21 PM »

not sure about lotion, i guess it would be fine when you shake it before every use...

i do a simple spray when i'm out for a day, that i keep in a small bottle that will use up quickly.
i take 1 cup water, 2 drops citronella eo, 2 drops cinnamon eo, 1 drop peppermint eo, 1 drop tea trea eo. fill in a spray bottle, shake well before every use. if you lack any of those oils, just leave them out or substitute for lemongrass, clove, cedar, geranium...

as for the dog, you should be able to use the spray in small amounts on it as well, if he doesn't hysterically try to get it off/lick it away. be careful around the head.

i do a similar thing for horses as well, but as a base i take 2 parts water and one part apple cider vinegar. also i feed them a lot of garlic. both vinegar and garlic work very well, not sure if you want either smell on you, or your dog. the vinegar cools a little as well, and the smell doesn't last very long. (if your dog is white, be careful, if you use the vinegar on him a lot it makes the fur yellowish).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Horses
How to Draw Hearts
How to Draw Flames
How to Draw Faces
How to Draw Clothes
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...