A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,146
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TWO-Hour Sweater!  (Read 19818 times)
Tags for this thread: sweater  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

scifibimoncon8
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2009 01:24:12 AM »

Hot dawg! I actually finished the sweater this weekend, completely by accident! I ran out of yarn for another project and decided to start this one up with yarn at hand. A day later- sweaterage! I'll post the pictures soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

More nonsense abounds at http://rarerborealis.com/
scifibimoncon8
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2009 07:53:11 PM »

Alright, here's the photos!

Here's what the body looks like knit up. In case anyone was confused by the lack of a 'front' section, you start at the back and work your way to the front, creating a neck in the middle. This is a more accurate picture for color; the others are washed out.

Some neck detail...yeah!

All finished and not blocked. I actually didn't block it, though it's a wee bit short and snug. Meh.

Here's a version I toyed around with- instead of couching the thread I tried braiding it and placing it around the neck. It looks good but I preferred the plain sweater. You know what would look awesome? If someone made a knitted ruffle. Not sure if it would look good with the chunky yarn, but ooh, ruffles!

This is the sweater I ultimately decided to go with; no neck detail.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mollytwin1
goddess of the needles

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2009 10:19:16 PM »

EEEKK!  It is so cute.  You did a great job.  I also prefer it without the braid.  Man, this just motivates me even more to make this sweater myself.  As soon as I finish the sweater I already have on my needles (which is almost done) I am going to do this pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zombiecazz
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2009 12:35:46 AM »

Great work scifibimoncon8. looks really good and cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2009 10:31:11 AM »

It does look good.  I was just doing math in my head, trying to figure out how many stitches I'd have to start with to get it to be the right size.  Double the stitches is too many. Maybe 1 1/2? If it measures 13-18 inches across (doubled, since there's a front and a back), starting with 42 stitches instead of 28 should make the finished measurements somewhere between 39-52 inches. Maybe. Not sure how that would affect the increases though.  I haven't actually messed with patterns for  garment knitting.  In part because I still haven't perfected a pattern for me in sewing, and I've been doing that a lot longer.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
scifibimoncon8
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2009 11:58:20 AM »

Well, the nice part is when you widen the body you also increase the sleeve size to match, and usually that works out just fine. I can fit into size 4 tops pretty easily, so I'd say if you're widening the pattern your math sounds about right. My only suggestion would be for a more fitted shape, you may want to add some short row shaping around the bust, or follow the increase normally at the waist, then add a bit more around the bust, decreasing at the sleeves, as the sweater's pretty much a tube shape that stretches a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2009 03:33:42 PM »

Hmmm....  while I have some short row tutes in my email inbox, I haven't actually done it yet.  Might be better off making this for my daughter, as she doesn't have the bust issues that I have.

Thanks for the tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Poldalle
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2009 08:43:21 PM »

This looks really cool. I've never made a sweater because I'm slow knitter, but this looks worth trying. I'm not sure about short sleeves though, my arms are always cold.
To make long sleeve, you'd just knit the sleeve bit longer in stockinette and then end in ribbing, right?
Also I looked up vintage sizing and nothing seems particularly consistent. My bust is just under 36" and some places say that this should fit fine, others say I should wear several sizes over 14 for vintage sizing. Can anyone who's finished measure flat across the sweater? I don't want one that's too tight.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009 08:55:41 PM by Poldalle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2009 08:27:03 AM »

Yes, for longer sleeves, just keep knitting until it's the length you want. If they're down to your wrist, you might want to dec 2 sts every 2" or so at the seam to taper them, unless you want loose floppy sleeves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
tattooedcrafter
I don't need friends, I have teddy bears!!!

Me and My littlest love

« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2009 04:43:53 PM »

Yes, for longer sleeves, just keep knitting until it's the length you want. If they're down to your wrist, you might want to dec 2 sts every 2" or so at the seam to taper them, unless you want loose floppy sleeves.
I just did ribbing around most of the sleeve
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have very limited internet access so if you don't hear from me don't worry I'll be around soon

I'm Full of Unexpected Awesomeness
wists.com/tattooedcrafter
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Coconut Cringe: Anthony Eats America Ep. 6 - Deleted Scene
Recipe For Revolution: Anthony Eats America Ep. 6 - Deleted Scene
Sushi At Home: Spicy Scallop Hand Roll Recipe
Healthy Chicken Curry Recipe
How to Make a Veggie-Packed Shrimp Stir-Fry
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...