A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
306 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with this fabric? (add yours!)  (Read 15926 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

saratera
no- i said stick it in your BUTTONhole!

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2011 02:56:32 PM »

not sure if this is in the right place, but i just inherited a TON of hankies and scarves from my grandma after she passed. i really wanted to make something for everyone in the family out of something that was hers. i thought of a wristlet, table runner, or small pillow, but they don't really seem appropriate for the men. i also have her wedding dress or veil i was hoping to incorporate, even if just a tiny piece. i could incorporate other items too. any ideas would be really helpful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2011 02:35:11 PM »

{I} just inherited a TON of hankies and scarves from my grandma after she passed. {Need something} appropriate for the men.

How about closet freshener bags? Even men have to hang up their suits! There are different ways you can make them, but the important part is to stuff them with lavender as a moth repellent, and cedar chips are also great. You can add other herbs like mint, chamomile, rosemary, even coffee beans! Coffee beans are great for absorbing smells, and may be a more man-appropriate scent. Just remind all the recipients that the bags need to be massaged every now and then to redistribute the herbs and stuff to "reactivate" the smell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2011 08:09:52 AM »

What a treasure you inherited!

I think sachets as alexus1325 suggested are a great idea!  If you do use coffee beans, remember that they do have an oil so you might want to make a liner bag before putting them into a treasured hanky!

How about embroidering the hankies with something special about your grandmother?

If the scarves are not precious, you could cut them up and make fabric bowls or coasters...make them flat enough so that a man can use one to hold keys, coins, etc.  To make them more masculine, you could mix in other fabrics...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

joshcalebm
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2011 04:23:00 PM »

I have a 7 year old that loves to put on plays at home, I'd use it as a backdrop for when she plays theater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Neha smith
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2011 03:36:15 AM »

Turn them into creative personalized tote bags! Smiley
You can put in the design and style you want plus it will surely be great and very useful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
galeygoogoo
Handcrafts, Fashion, and Everything Nice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2011 09:56:49 PM »

since you mentioned you have basic sewing skills, why not make a curtain or table cloth, add ruffles on it. But if you mentioned you'll make stuff for the girls, how bout cute little skirts with matching scarf or headdress..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AllieStephs
« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2011 02:54:58 PM »

So I made some car pillows for my kids, and I still have some fabric leftover. What kind of projects have you done with fleece besides scarfs, blankets hats etc?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2011 06:55:30 AM »

dust mittens...stuffies. ..cat toys...slippers...m ittens...headbands/warmers...wreaths...holiday stockings...pumpkin s...baby play balls...Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acorneee
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2012 03:57:30 PM »

At the local thrift-store I found the most gorgeous piece of jewel-tone magenta sweater type of fabric! It's made as a perfectly seamless tube, so weird. Probably about a yard in height and length (flattened, still tubed). I definitely love, but have no idea what I can do with it. I've only got rough sewing skills. Sad Any ideas what I can do with it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2012 05:36:10 AM »

At the local thrift-store I found the most gorgeous piece of jewel-tone magenta sweater type of fabric! It's made as a perfectly seamless tube, so weird. Probably about a yard in height and length (flattened, still tubed). I definitely love, but have no idea what I can do with it. I've only got rough sewing skills. Sad Any ideas what I can do with it?

Do you look good in foofy skirts? If so, you've got the makings of a great winter skirt! Do some research on sewing with knits to learn about the right needle, the right procedure, and troubleshooting problems. Once you've read all the basics, on to construction!

I think adding a wide elastic waistband (say, 2 inches) in a close-matching colour takes care of the top. I would use a combination of gathering the material and stretching the elastic, two essential techniques with many tutorials around the web. You can do a few lines of zigzag stitch with the waistband on top of the fabric, or several rows using a twin-needle, which creates a pair of lines on top and a zigzag on the bottom. For the bottom hem, cut it off about an inch below where you want it, fold it up an inch to the inside and stitch just below the raw edge (closer to the fold) from the outside with a twin-needle. The bobbin thread will zigzag and keep the sweater material from unraveling. A twin-needle hem is one of the most common ways to finish any sort of knitwear as it stretches more than a regular folded hem.

Like any kind of sewing, making knitwear takes research and practice. If you'd rather not "wreck" your magenta fabric, you can practice by deconstructing and reconstructing some thrifted sweaters. Just try things out on a few practice pieces, and you'll get the hang of it! I only suggest the skirt idea because it was the simplest thing I could think of, but you're certainly not limited to it Cheesy A purse, a top or vest, matching hat and mittens, leg-warmers, arm-warmers, whatever you can conceive of. Remember that the best learning often comes from mistakes! Oh, and don't forget to press your seams/hems at the correct temp for the fabric. It really DOES make a difference in the "finished-ness" of your project.

Best of luck, and I hope you have fun exploring knits Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Buy an Antique Engagement Ring
How to Make Teardrop Chandelier Earrings
Andrew Smith on 100 Sideways Miles
A New Family Saga from Bestselling Author Garth Stein
Jhumpa Lahiri on Her Writing Process
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...