A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,385
Currently Running With Scissors:
722 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with this fabric? (add yours!)  (Read 15729 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

N30Nb100d
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2010 02:28:09 PM »

That's not a bad idea since they are the same color set. I wasn't sure what kind of arrangement would look nice with panels though. (Don't want it to be too busy if I mix the different patterns together).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2010 02:59:51 PM »

Ooh, a tiered skirt would be absolutely lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
N30Nb100d
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2010 03:29:07 PM »

Ooh, a tiered skirt would be absolutely lovely!

Haha if you look at my most recent topic, I actually dyed this fabric along with a tiered skirt (same color scheme)  Smiley
Maybe vertical panels instead?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Airsucker
Crafty Gamer Chick

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2010 02:36:54 PM »

Vertical panels was what I was thinking. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2010 04:22:31 PM »

Making underpants is fun and you can never have too many. Panties made from tee-shirts are super-comfortable.

My most common use for tee-shirt scraps over the years has been for cleaning rags. I cut them into rough rectangles, fold them, and stash them in a (dumpster-dived) plastic container under my kitchen sink. I wash them and re-use them after most cleaning jobs, but if it's something really nasty I throw them away, content in the knowledge that that fabric was used and re-used before being trashed.

I've never made underpants from previously used T-Shirts, but I'd read about it in Sew News magazine (before they went so Pat-a-cake) It sounded like a good idea.

Using T-Shirts for scrap-cleaning-rags is also a good idea. For some reason, I seem to end up being the "one-who-will-take-all-the-sheet-sets" in my family. One day, I was cleaning out my Linen Closet and found about 20 sheet-sets. (i.e.: Bottoms, top-sheets, and Pillowcases) I thought of taking them to a Re-sale shop, but they were in "too-good-of-shape" to do that to them. But some of them were really old: you could tell by their patterns: there were some from the Early 70's. (But still in great shape) Then, I thought of my husband: He was needing some "Shop Rags"; I tore each sheet into Quarters, then folded them & stacked them in a pillowcase. Since he took them, he has mentioned a couple times that "He'd rather they were in 12" X 12" size." I've replied that he can tear them into whatever size he wants.

Another thing I've done is stacked about 6-8 pieces on top of each other and sewn them together (Like a quilt). It makes a strong dishcloth. When it's totally used up, I can just throw it out. (Like wifeofbath says, content in the knowledge that the fabric was used and re-used before being trashed)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
ludicrouslouisa
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2010 03:36:45 AM »

Ok I'd photograph it but it's a bit of a pain at the moment + it's very dark and the photos won't come out nicely. Basically I have a LOT of bits of silk chiffon, mainly in chartreuse green, dark purple, navy, black, bark brown, tiny bit of aqua blue. Most of the colours are all in similar shades but none of the pieces are very big - they average about 50 cm by a metre. I'm not sure if I can squeeze much in the way of clothing out of that, and I only really sew clothing. The thing is I'm TERRIFIED of sewing silk chiffon..I'll have to line it and I've never sewn silk before...what would you suggest? Maybe...of each colour I have about...3 50 cm by a metre pieces at the most.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2010 11:40:46 AM »

I think chiffon ruffles look amazing peaking out from under a skirt or dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sylwa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2010 05:06:32 AM »

Hi everyone, I am pretty new here and super new to sewing. I just got my hands on 2 totes full of fabric that looks like a quilting fabric to me, I am not possitive but that is my guess anyway. It is definitely cotton, not very soft. My question is can I use it for something else besides quilting?

I especially love this fabric and would love to make a skirt from it but dont know if the fabric is ok for it?

I really feel quite dumb posting this but I would love to get an ok from someone experienced before I start messing with all that fabric.
Thanks!

Sylwa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Confuzzle
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2010 05:16:21 AM »

Quilting fabric is (usually) a simple cotton fabric. You can use it for anything that you would use any other cotton for. I use it to make scrubs for work, for goodness sakes. It softens a bit when you wash it, too, which is helpful. Just make sure the pattern you have in mind works well with a slightly stiffer fabric - instead of something that drapes or clings - and roll with it!  Grin

...aaaand if you still don't know what to do with it, I'm sure it could find a happy home right here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tattooedcrafter
I don't need friends, I have teddy bears!!!

Me and My littlest love

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2010 05:47:40 AM »

It is great for making skirts, especially ones with an elsatic waistband, they look a little akward at first but after you wash them a few times they are awesome
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have very limited internet access so if you don't hear from me don't worry I'll be around soon

I'm Full of Unexpected Awesomeness
wists.com/tattooedcrafter
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
German Shepherd/Chow Chow Filmed in High Definition
How to Make a Smooth Rock Music Video
How to Make a Stop-Motion Animation Brick Film
How to Make an Infomercial
How to Light a Green Screen
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...