A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,774
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with this fabric? (add yours!)  (Read 16899 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

panchitaa228
« on: August 19, 2009 05:35:57 PM »

As I was preparing to move, I came across yards and yards (somewhere between 7-10...I think) of orange satin that has a sort of Chinese medallion design on it.  I almost put it in the donate pile, but felt I couldn't since it had sentimental value- my best friends and I used it to decorate our common room freshman year of college. 

Basically, I have all of this satin I can't get rid of- and don't know what to do with it.  I would like to make something for each of the girls with it, but don't know what. So... any suggestions?? There are 5 girls total-- I have basic sewing skills-- but can't do anything too elaborate.  Any ideas would be much appreciated!! -- I'll try to post a pic of said fabric when I get the chance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boo_zombie
rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009 05:40:57 PM »

you could make throw pillows and maybe embroider the school name and graduation year on them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CHECK OUT MY ETSY!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/rubybluedesigns

http://rubybluedesigns.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/ruby_blue13

CURRENT SWAPS:
exstatic about eclipse - sent/waiting to recieve
ORGANISING: Two Tiny Things Fave Band Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=351944
soorawn
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009 02:06:16 AM »

a big travel tote for each, and each one can be a different design according to every person needs/preferences.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
FriendlyJas
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009 10:53:21 AM »

You could make small nap/lap blankets. I think Joanns has a free pattern on their website for a simple baby blanket that would make a nice, easy lap blanket. You could also make a simple purse or clutch for each girl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selnith
Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009 10:56:27 AM »

my first thought was throw cushions as that fabric would look great in my sitting room
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
donniesgirl
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009 09:08:23 PM »

I like the throw pillow idea.  I also use funky satins for linings of "plain" ol' work skirts.  Makes me feel like I'm a lot more hip at work than I am.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009 10:22:29 PM »

You could make a huge stuffed pumpkin seat for each girl... Just Kidding!
Really... you could make a set of curtains for a  Medium sized window. And a couple of cushions.  I think maybe a Kimono for each girl... those are super easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Airsucker
Crafty Gamer Chick

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010 03:06:11 PM »

I searched and didn't see a thread about this. If this is in the wrong place, sorry about that.  Grin

I've been thinking about making tank tops with strips of material. I could possibly make underwear. I could make bags, but I really don't need any, though I suppose I could make tiny bags for protecting my painted miniatures when I transport them to games, but that won't take a lot of fabric.

I was thinking about making an oversized tank top or two and doing the thing I saw on Threadbangers where you use your machine to free stitch all over, which gathers it in.

Its going to be a while until I finish the quilt, since I'm insane and decided to do the entire thing by hand and crazy quilt the back. (I may need psychological help, considering how big the thing is going to be.) I have a while to gather ideas.

I also noticed that I'm not the only person making a t-shirt quilt, so I may not be the only one who needs ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010 09:33:56 PM »

Making underpants is fun and you can never have too many. Panties made from tee-shirts are super-comfortable.

After you have your own miniatures bags, maybe some of your gaming mates would appreciate a gift of bags for miniatures?

If you or someone you know wears eyeglasses, tee-shirt material is good for cleaning glasses. I know that's only a few small squares.

Doll clothes are a possibility--dolls want tee-shirts too, and since it's non-ravelly fabric you don't have to finish the tiny seams.

I would think anything that you want to be soft against your skin could be a possibility. Like an eyecover for keeping out the light when you sleep. Or, if you could piece together some of your larger scraps, a pillowcase that would coordinate with your quilt.

My most common use for tee-shirt scraps over the years has been for cleaning rags. I cut them into rough rectangles, fold them, and stash them in a (dumpster-dived) plastic container under my kitchen sink. I wash them and re-use them after most cleaning jobs, but if it's something really nasty I throw them away, content in the knowledge that that fabric was used and re-used before being trashed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Airsucker
Crafty Gamer Chick

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010 03:08:40 PM »

Thanks for the ideas. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Study Hairdressing with Saco
How to Color Your Hair
Hair Care Tips by Garnier
How to Have Perfect Hair This Season
How to Take Care of Hair Extentions
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...