A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
423 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with this fabric? (add yours!)  (Read 18507 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ThePunkHippie
Freelance Artist With A Free Spirit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010 08:01:40 PM »

I've been doing a lot of sewing lately, & I end up with a lot of small pieces of fabric in odd shapes with awesome patterns.  I don't really want to make a quilt, but i don't know what else to do with it

Any ideas?  I've been trying to find other topics about the same issue, but I haven't found anything.

Thanks!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010 08:17:01 AM »

If they're big enough, you could make stuffies.  Otherwise, you could make patchwork fabric that you sew into something other than a quilt.  Like a skirt (the twirly rainbow patchwork skirts are gorgeous!) or purse.  I've even seen pictures of crazy quilt style jackets which are mind blowing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Airsucker
Crafty Gamer Chick

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010 12:07:28 PM »

If I end up with enough tank tops, I might give that a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Penlowe
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010 05:31:49 PM »

Or donate it to your local quilt guild or church who has a charity sewing circle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Penlowe
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010 05:44:09 PM »

Not completely unrelated: I worked at a shop that did tee-shirt quilts as custom orders, needless to say we disposed of the tee scraps fast as you can imagine the size of the pile from two quilts a week coming into the shop.

We gave them away three places:
1) a mechanics shop that specialized in restoring old cars, for parts cleaning and detail buffing
2) a salon, they loved old tees for waxing strips
3) the animal shelter, for both cage liners and bandages (they'd wash and use strong bleach first).

So, if you decide you can't use it all, there are some other non-land fill options Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewnutzz
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010 06:40:16 PM »

Back them with WonderUnder (or similar product), cut into random shapes, fuse them in random designs on backing fabric (can be really ugly because you will cover it completely), then embellish like crazy with machine embroidery, couching over cords, yarns, and decorative threads, etc.  Add any other embellishments you want, then use your created cloth to make stuff with! 

I once made a small bag using fabric made in this manner...I cut leaf shapes from scraps of blues, greens, and aqua fabrics from my stash, included a few pinks, aligned them so they were running vertically and over lapped, and fused them to the background (plain muslin).  Embellished with couched threads and cords, then cut my pattern pieces.  Great result and a lot of fun to do.

Here are some ideas for crazy patch projects, another fun thing to do with scraps:  http://explorer.cekli.com/articles/pdf/crazy-patch-embroidery

Here are 50+ ideas for scraps:  http://tipnut.com/scrap-happy-fabric-scrap-ideas-free-patterns/

Have fun,
SewNutzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redcleo
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010 11:36:19 AM »

I love flannel, and buy smallish pieces of it (fat quarters, remnants, occasionally a 1/2 yard piece) all the time. But, I never sew with it, because I don't know what to make! Lots of it is children's (animals), but there's some other cool stuff. (Note: I don't actually have kids myself, just nephews, so I tend to buy kids' fabric and then not know what to do with it. It's a sickness, I know. Smiley )

So, I'm looking for some creative ways to use fat quarters of flannel. Here's what I've come up with, and I'm not very inspired by my list:

• Baby bibs
  • Cloth pads
  • Patchwork blanket

So, what other ideas can you come up with? I don't want to hide the fabric (substitute for batting in a quilt, for instance), I'd like to show it off.

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
my4kidz
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010 01:19:37 PM »

someone gave me 50 + yards of double knit polyester in a dark brown color. I will be using a lot of donated fabric to sew thing to raffle off to raise money for new calssroom furniture for my childs school I would love to use this fabric but I am not coming up with a suitable ideas please help
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnutzz
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010 05:12:07 PM »

If they are young, you can make toys that are suitable for toddlers and babies (blocks, balls, yo-yo toys, etc).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010 06:03:33 PM »

Ooh, I totally used flannel to make hooded towels for my nephews.  They wear them as superhero capes!  I made the hoods way too big, a fat quarter probably would have been more than sufficient.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Matte Lipstick Gives a Summertime Makeover
Double Dare: How to Wear Bronzer in the Winter
How to Look Like a Bronzed Beauty
Affordable Beauty Luxuries
Back to School Hair and Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Marinara Sauce
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...