A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 315,686
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with this fabric? (add yours!)  (Read 22770 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lottiebird
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2012 05:52:05 AM »

Hi everyone! I have been a lurker here for some time, but this is my first actual post!

I have 2 meters of the most beatiful white embroidery anglaise. I had to have it, even though it was expensive, but now I have no clue what to do with it! I am fairly mucky, so clothing is probably a no-no... Unless you think I could dye it?

I am moving house soon, so I might like something for my new home....

Any ideas?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TFE
« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2014 03:17:05 PM »

you can make laundry baskets that everyone will use forever. fancy and practical and no obligation to wear it in public;-)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014 04:07:08 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged
HandmadeinHawaii
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2015 02:25:02 PM »

I finally found this post! I was looking everywhere.
I bought this piece of faux mohair the other day. I thought it looked like the perfect skin for a plush but now i am not sure where to start! It is 1/8th of a yard i think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2015 11:50:09 AM »

For the mohair...don't cut the whole darn thing. Trace pattern on the back, and just use small scissors {cuticle} and cut the backing only. Then pull apart the pieces. When you are done stitching, use a large darning needle {untrhreaded} to help pull the fluffy fibers out of the seams and that will hide them. Sometimes a comb can help, too. But yours looks to have loops, so I really wouldn't suggest that. That method only works best on the fantasy fur style fabrics.

For the stitching, I often use tape to temporally hold the fluffies out of the way. And sometimes trim a bit of fluffies off the seam allowance area to get the fluffies contained before I stitch. It just depends on the thickness of your plushy material. And what shapes you are making with it.

~T
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
HandmadeinHawaii
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2015 11:04:41 AM »

Thanks for the advice! I hoped it would be less hassle because it is a pretty short pile, but i can see needing to massage some fibers out of the seams after. Thank you! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Make all the Things!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2015 06:51:26 AM »

This is a general question for the group:

A few years ago, I was really into making bags of all types so I purchased a lot of novelty fabrics with themes, such as Elvis, Paris, Sushi, Dice, Cowgirls...you get the picture...I have about 50 pieces or so, all about 1-2 yards. 

I am no longer interested in making bags and was looking for ideas on how to use up these type of fabrics.  I suppose I could make some quilts to give away...I am trying to destash quickly...of course, the secondary problem is, that once I make whatever...what do I do with it all? Grin

All ideas welcomed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

I'm so squishy!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2015 07:04:23 AM »

1)  Donate the fabric
2)  Sell the fabric
3)  Make lap quilts for nursing home residents
4)  Make crib quilts and donate them to women's shelters
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Make all the Things!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2015 07:33:57 AM »

all good ideas...I think quilts with large pieces would be doable...unfortunately, not a lot of the prints are child themed, and some could be off-putting...not sure skulls or tattoo fabrics would be welcomed in nursing homes! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

steiconi
« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2016 03:15:49 PM »

Grocery tote bags.  Then you can help the environment in a really cute way!
use the bags yourself (do they still offer paper or plastic where you live?  Neither are available here, we have to use cloth)
sell/give them away. 
Use them as eternally-reusable gift bags.

or just use the flat fabric as exciting gift wrap for your crafty friends.  Caution:  non-crafty friends will likely come back and ask you to make something out of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
HPL Takes On: When Weddings Attack!
Watch This Morning News Reporter Get Engaged on Live TV
This Might Just Be The Most Canadian Wedding Ever
Why This Family Included Son in Wedding Photo Months After He Died
Canadian Couples Lose Wedding Rings In Unusual Fashion
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...