A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: advice needed please for lining a cotton A-line skirt with elastic waistband  (Read 380 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bookwormbethie
« on: August 19, 2009 11:14:03 AM »

Hi y'all.  I've made a couple of elastic waistband A-line skirts out of opaque cotton fabric. 

I would like to make another elastic waistband A-line skirt, but my skirt fabric is primarily white and, thus, see through, and also a bit "lighter" in weight than regular cotton fabric.  I know I will need to make a lining for my skirt so I bought some white cotton broadcloth to use for lining.

I stumbled upon this great tute about lining skirts (http://www.isew.co.uk/sewing_techniques/add_lining_to_skirt-c-00209.htm) and I am wondering what is the best way for me to put the skirt and lining together?   

I am leaning toward using the first method (since both fabrics are lightweight and a bit sheer) of treating the sheer cotton skirt fabric and cotton broadcloth lining fabric as one piece of fabric.  I feel this will make the elastic waistband casing and any seams less bulky. 

But I'm wondering if it's more common when lining a cotton skirt to make the skirt and lining separately and sew the lining in to the just the skirt's waistband.  Which sounds easy enough in theory, but it also sounds tricky since I plan on making a waistline casing for an elastic waistband.....

Okay enough rambling from me as I think I am starting to confuse myself!  Any advice much appreciated!

bethie

Any advice?Huh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009 11:33:10 AM »

Well by adding the lining without the elastic casing, but as part of the waist seam, the elastic casing will be less bulky.  If you were to treat both pieces as one and then fold over the edge and added elastic, then it will be bulky, even though your using two light wieght fabrics, you'll notice the bulk.  I think about the only time you wouldn't, would be if your using something very sheer. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
KD101: Bread Pudding with Vanilla Butter Sauce Recipe
White Chocolate Cheesecake from Colicchio & Sons
Your Definition Of Salad Should Not Include This
Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Cookie Recipe
How to Make a Next-Level Fruit Salad
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...