A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
423 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do you hoop? I do now!  (Read 2153 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

magadoo

I'm a robot in disguise

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 18, 2009 06:58:50 PM »

I have recently come to love hula-hooping, like really loving it, and I decided that I wanted a whole bunch.  I decided that instead of spending a bunch of money on pre-made, pretty hoops, I dropped some money on irrigation tubing, connectors, and electrical tape.  Here's what I came up with:

So far only three and following are close-ups of how I decorated them:

This one's a little fuzzy but it does show my favorite combination of colors- green, yellow, and white.

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LauPre

I've lost my scissors... again?!!

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009 07:59:01 PM »

Oooh, I hoop!
I really like the tape on your last pic, it looks really different!

Watch out, making your own hoops can get really addictive.  I'll make a hoop, then decide I need a slightly smaller one so I'll have to make another.  Or, I see some pretty tape that's just begging to hug the curves of hoop. I tell myselft it's okay, though.  It's always good to take a few extras with you if you're going out to a park or other public place to hoop.  people always want to try it when they see my hoops but I don't want to stop hooping and I don't want to be the brat on the playground that won't share her toys  Grin Plus, it's good to have different hoops for different moods (big, heavy for grooving or light and tiny for speed), right? But I knew I was in trouble when I started begging my brother to teach me to solder so I could make my own LED hoops (which took forever but is so worth it!) I hadn't thought of sharing my hoops on craftster, though.  maybe I should take some pics.

I thought I'd offer a suggestion.  I just started using athletic tape (the cloth stuff).  It comes in a bunch of colors and has great grip.  It's a lot lighter than electrical, too, so it won't slow down a hoop with weight and it still has some stretch to it so that it's not too hard to wrap.  It's pretty cheap, which is good since it does have one downside; it gets dirty a lot easier.  Anyway, I like it but it seems like everyone uses electrical, so if you try it be sure to tell me what you think.

Have you been to hooping.org?  They're a great site for picking up trick tutorials and music suggestions.

Anyway, Happy Hooping!
Lau
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009 08:01:08 PM by LauPre » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do some personal swaps.
I'm looking for handmade soaps, jewelry, and knit legwarmers/socks.
pm me if I can sew something for you!

Blog : http://blog.laupre.com/
Wist: http://www.wists.com/laupre
Home: http://LauPre.com
melyssa_marie
so tacky its classy

tattooeddahlia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009 08:02:10 PM »

genius! i've been looking but they are so expensive ($5-$8, no joke!) you win!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magadoo

I'm a robot in disguise

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009 04:50:04 PM »

Thanks LauPre for all the tips.  I have seen hooping.org and I keep meaning to get back there to learn how to do tricks.  I still have so much tubing left that I'm going to need more tape and I might just try the athletic tape.  And the reason the last one looks so different is because I actually only had enough of both white and yellow to get half-way around the hoop!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laundry lady
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009 06:53:57 AM »

cleaver idea and so good for you too
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009 03:32:50 PM »

I could never crack the hooping around my waist, it was a craze back in the early 80s when I was a kid, I could spin it around my wrist, foot (jumping with the other food) skip with it, flick it away so it would spin back, but could never manage to do it around my waist...

but your hoops are pretty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009 07:38:45 PM »

So very, very cool. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
momcuellar
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009 08:23:54 PM »

I haven't hooped since the 70's.  How retro!!  Good job on the hoops
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Catch a Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket, Never Let It Fade Away.
Catch a Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket, Save It For A Rainy Day.
megadoomer
Keeper of the Gems

Hi.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009 10:16:32 AM »

Hi Fellow Hooper!

I wanted to reply to let you know that YES there are other hoopers on here! I find the website www.hoopcity.ca to be WAY better than Hooping.org. Check that site out! It has a forum area too where you can get a lot of help with anything hoop related! Also, I notice that you are wrapping your colored electrical tapes over the bare irrigation tubing without laying out a base. That is fine, but I have made...oh lessee....about 15 hoops in the past month so I am hoping I may have some helpful tips  Grin

I would suggest you try laying a base of tape down first, (if you want the background color to still be black like the tube, then just use black electrical and do a really tight spiral so it slightly overlaps.), then wrapping your colored spirals around that. That will help add a little heft (making for easier hooping!) and also will add a bit of padding. I don't know if you have gotten to the MASSIVE BRUISING stage haha (I currently have 4 on my left arm, one on my left hip, and one BIG one on my left collar bone!).

I don't think many hoopers use Duct tape, but I do! It does get frayed along the edges. I personally like that look, but if you want it clean and tidy then you can also always go over the edges of the Duct with some electrical to keep the edges hidden. Duct comes in sooo many awesome colors now!

Another fun idea is to wrap the colors in bands, instead of spirals. hmm that was kind of hard to explain! Here are some pictures Smiley

Now this is getting to be a LOOOONG post! One last idea for you!!! I am not sure how you are connecting your hoops, but I am going to assume you are using a coupling from the hardware store (the grey short pipe fitting things). I did that for my first like 10 hoops, and then I discovered an even better way on hoopcity!! Here is a link with photos so you can see the amazing way! I have tried it on about 4 hoops now, and it REALLY works amazingly well. It is much easier and looks totally seamless. Here ya go: http://www.hoopcity.ca/photo/photo/listForContributor?screenName=308ki8rdcv304

Hope that helps! Post more pics if you make more. I would love to see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and the weird behavior award goes to...
sarahj2001
Knitting Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009 11:00:49 AM »

Great idea to make your own!  I went out an bought one...for way too much money!  I wish I would have seen this first...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Elizabeth Gilbert LIVE
Top 10 Notes: The Scarlet Letter
The Real Life Truman Show
Pardon Me!
Harriet Evans on the Book That Changed Her Life
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...