A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
852 Guests and 45 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: LED nightmare  (Read 1085 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kstaron
« on: August 18, 2009 11:57:35 AM »

Decided to attempt the dollar store challenge this month and got my supplies and went to work...

I found 3 cool lightup hair extentions using fiber optics. I was going to put them in a cool little spray bottle body and top it with a fluer -de-lis bottle stopper and use it as a might light in my daughters room. 

I have never done LEDs before. I have never done any wiring before.

I took apart the light up hair, by this I mean I popped out the hair and fiber optic bundle and then tried to pop out the LED.  Then I got a screwdriver and tried tot pop it out or even break the plastic, eventually I had to throw away the whole thing because I trashed the LED trying to get it out.

So back to the dollar store and O got a nifty LED push light with 3 LED's, perfect to pair with the three fiber optic bits I have, so I dismantle that and after alot of figuring I managed to get the the LED's to light up, only the basic circuit board won't fit in the bottle.  So Now I have to get out power tools. The only round out bit I have is too small. And the bottle bottom is made of really thick plastic, no way it's getting cut with anything I have other than the drill. So I have to hold it cause I've no vice or surface and kept thinking I'll be posting this on craft injuries for sure. So its still too small, but I tried to make it work, it looked just big enough for the LEDs to go in if I left the circuit board outside....

In my fanagaling to try to get the LED parts to fit up into the bottle the wires come dismantled from the board.  The electrical tape doesn't work to get it going again and my soldering iron is somewhere in the nether regions of the garage, not that I have a good work surface for it at this point, or that I have ever soldered anything to a circuit board before. But I realized that I didn't have tools needed to either secure the wire to board better or make sure the board was in a more secure space where it wouldn't get rattled around and separate again.  I threw the whole mess in the trash.

I spent hours on this. It was going to be a simple project. It ended up making my morning off being completely wasted.  It was going to be so pretty all purple and pink and glowy.  What really gets me is that it wasn't really the actual electronics that threw me off, It was basic how do you get something in a bottle that's too big for it dilemma. ARG!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alorralora
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009 05:38:43 PM »

lol! I have days like that.  I guess I can't really come up with any suggestions to your bottle dilemma, as I've never seen a lightup hair doodly thingy before, so am having a hard time understanding it.  Maybe a bigger spray bottle would have worked?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIST it up babee...WIST and shout!!
http://www.wists.com/alorralora
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
How to Make Shrimp-Stuffed Creole Tomatoes
Stella And Dot
How to Make a Kentucky Hot Brown Inspired Derby Sandwich
How to Make a Kentucky Hot Brown with Sourdough Bread
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...