A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pillow Slipcover - Step by Step Tutorial  (Read 9575 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , sponsored_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SewingRepublic
« on: August 18, 2009 07:13:44 AM »

Sponsored Project - Pillow Slipcover from SewingRepublic.com

Pillow Slipcover
by Stacy Schlyer

Materials and Tools
  • 1/2 yard of 45” material of your choice
  • Thread to match
  • 14” pillow form
  • Scissors and ruler
  • Rotary cutter and mat (optional)
  • Pins
  • Tailor’s chalk or water soluble pen for marking
  • Iron for pressing

Steps

Cutting
Seam allowances are 1/2” unless otherwise noted

1. Using your ruler, mark off 3 different sizes: a 15” square; a 9” x 15” strip; and an 11” x 15” strip of your material. Cut using scissors or your rotary cutter.

Sewing

2. Take the 9” x 15” strip of material: on one of the long sides fold 1/2” of the right side of material to the wrong side and
press. Fold this strip over itself and press again. Sew close to the edge. This will give a finished edge to the back of your
pillow slipcover. Repeat this step along the long edge for the 11” x 15” strip of material.

3. Place the 15” square right side up. Lay the 9” x 15” (which is now 8” x 15” after making the finished edges in step 2)
strip on top of the square, wrong side up. Lay the strip so that the raw edges are matched and that the finished edge is in
the middle of the fabric. Pin in place.

4. Place the 11” x 15” (which is now 10” x 15” after making the fi nished edges in step 2) strip on top of the two pieces of
material, wrong side up. Lay the strip so that the raw edges are matched and that the finished edge is in the middle of the
fabric. Pin in place.

5. Sew all four sides forming a square. Without cutting your stitching, clip the corners and turn right side out.

6. Place your slipcover over your pillow form!

Personalizing your Pillows

Aside from fabric choice there are lots of ways to personalize your slipcovers. Here’s just a few:

Machine stitch: Use the decorative stitches on your machine to create designs on your material—even straight and zigzag stitches can create attractive patterns. To give your stitches more interest, try using a variegated thread; these specialty threads will change colors as you sew!

Fabric markers: Take black-and-white fabric and use fabric marking pens to color in the designs on the fabric or create a white slipcover and draw your own design right onto the fabric!

Thrift it: If you’re having problems finding the “right fabric” check out the local thrift store or flea market. Often times you’ll find yardage at unbelievable prices and even hard-to-find vintage fabrics.

Fabric transfers: Using iron-on fabric-transfer sheets (found at most craft and/or fabric stores) print out your favorite photo and iron onto your slipcover. You can also use ready-made transfers, patches and embellishments to further decorate your pillow.

Jewel it up: If you need to bring a little bling into your room, try adding hot-fix crystals (or fl at-back jewels and clear fabric adhesive) to your slipcover after you’ve finished sewing.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009 07:14:25 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
KiwiDragons
Get it together!

Stacked Sheep. :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009 04:25:41 PM »

Sweet. I have some pillows that could use some new covers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists

Little Visitor Adventures
Charlie in MO
Zazie in Canada
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009 01:57:20 AM »

These are great, I've made lot's of pillow covers. I have one suggestion, without complicating things too much.... sew a few inches of velcro on the opening, at the center. It will help with the shape of the pillow after a little use. I have 2 on my bed, that have thick pillows in them, and they really need it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roccstarr75
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009 07:45:30 AM »

These are great, I've made lot's of pillow covers. I have one suggestion, without complicating things too much.... sew a few inches of velcro on the opening, at the center. It will help with the shape of the pillow after a little use. I have 2 on my bed, that have thick pillows in them, and they really need it.

This is a great addition to this.  Sometime big fat pillows pucker out the back and make the pillow sit wonky.  A snap or 2 (or 3, if they're small) would work great to if you have the tools to set them.  I guess buttons would work well also, the could even become a decorative element and the back could be the front!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009 03:05:50 PM »

Good idea with the buttons. I've seen them used like tht before. I would suggest using 3, with buttonholes or loops. Loops are easy if you aren't confident in buttonholes, but need to be sewn in a seam. Just create a facing, instead of folding over the top edge. The loops have to be just big enough to go over the button without being sloppy, or they won't hold thier place. But, any of these ideas are easier than zippers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MadeByMo
MadeByMo

Inspired by Nature

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009 01:38:04 AM »

great tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jackiw7
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009 12:46:42 PM »

Thanks for the tut, this is exactly what I've been looking for!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugaree
.:loser:.

If I was a bed, I would stay unmade.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010 08:14:17 AM »

this is a great tutorial, thank you!  but can anyone help me to figure out what measurements i'll need for making the cover for a 20x20" pillow? 
sorry, i'm kind of spastic when it comes to sewing and measurements Undecided
help please!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*shut up you know nothing know it all*~

.:when you wist upon a star:.  http://www.wists.com/sugaree
sugaree
.:loser:.

If I was a bed, I would stay unmade.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010 07:46:05 AM »

thanks for the great tutorial!  after analyzing the measurements, i figured out how to adjust for the pillow size i needed Smiley
and then i made a variation on the pillow cover by making a patchwork fabric first, then following the tutorial.
it was really fun & simple, albeit time-consuming (the patchwork part, that is.  i'd imagine that with straight up, regular fabric, this project would take less than 30 minutes!)

anyhow, i made this for one of my wonderful craftster swap partners, nesse.
i'm quite pleased with how it turned out and i sure hope she is, too!
i only wish i could have gotten a picture of the pillow cover on a pillow, but i don't have any pillows that size.  Undecided  my couch had to suffice.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010 07:47:13 AM by sugaree » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*shut up you know nothing know it all*~

.:when you wist upon a star:.  http://www.wists.com/sugaree
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010 05:11:31 PM »

Sugaree I really like your patchwork version!

I am going to be trying out this tutorial this weekend, I have pillows I bought on sale the other day for my couch, and have been trying to figure out how I could cover them while still making them washalbe(toddler)and season changeable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Football Field Dessert Recipe for Super Bowl
How to Make a Super Bowl Dessert-a-Dome
How to Make Fortune Cookies for a Happier Chinese New Year
Watch Chocolatiers Make Dark Chocolate Cherry Truffles
Super Bowl Recipes: 4th Quarter Sweets
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...