A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,057
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Polymer clay sticky with acrylic paint  (Read 1862 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

luna123
« on: August 18, 2009 05:57:53 AM »

Hi everbody,

I've been working with polymer clay for some time now and decided it was time to try out new things. So I wanted to paint the things that I make. I've done some research on the internet and found out acrylic paint is the best paint to use. But when I use acrylics on cured polymer clay it remains very sticky. It's so sticky my hands leave fingerprints on the piece, the paint gets smudged, it doesn't look nice.
I've tried out several brands, I've tried out cheap paint, I've tried out very expensive ones, but nothing seems to work. I use fimo, not sculpey or any other polymer clay brand. Could that be the problem? I can't find any information about this on the web. I see all these beautiful painted polymer clay sculptures from several artists, I wonder how they do it.
Please help me out! Smiley

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009 10:32:46 AM »

I don't know why this would be happening as long as you're using regular acrylic paints (though the "artists" acrylics in tubes will give the best coverage), your clay is completely cured, you used alcohol or soap and water to remove any oils or dirt that may have gotten on the clay, you're not applying the paints too thickly, and you're waiting long enough for the paint to dry between coats or afterward (humid weather could retard drying time, plus a real "cure" of acrylics doesn't happen for up to a week even in normal humidity).

As for Fimo, I do have this at my site, though it was written for the old original Fimo formulation:
... If you are painting on Fimo, it is better to seal the surface first with matt or gloss varnish before degreasing and painting ... this stops the paint bleeding into the clay in time - only a problem with Fimo in my experience, though. Sue
So perhaps that continues to be an issue with the later versions of Fimo/Eberhard Faber clay.

You might want to try using gesso as a first coat on your baked piece, no matter which brand/line of polymer clay you're using just to see if that makes any difference; it will provide a nice surface for later paint anyway.

Some clayers also use heat-set paints though, and some may even use oils of various kinds (especially in thin applications) though they do take a long time to dry.   Some clayers use other colorants too like alcohol inks, chalks and other pigments or powders--alone or in clear liquid carriers, etc.

You can check out a lot more about the prep and painting on top of clay (with various paints) on at least this page of my site, if you're interested:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/paints.htm

HTH,

Diane B.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009 10:35:03 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 Tutorial - Reconnecting Footage
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 Tutorial
What Is White Balance?
What Does THX Mean?
How to Make a Video
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...