A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A hundred pillbox hats!  (Read 7343 times)
Tags for this thread: hat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlepierre
« on: August 16, 2009 08:38:33 AM »

OK not really a hundred, but it sounds good! These hats were whipped up in a 4-day period, photographed, printed, and became the bulk of my portfolio! How's that for procrastination? Aside from some repurposed materials (most of which came from Goodwill anyway), everything used to make these hats came from Joann. Traditional methods for buckram construction, done up mostly with plastic canvas and hot glue (or Fabritac, love that stuff) instead!

Start with my favorite and work backwards, I guess! This is a wet-look vinyl pillbox hat, probably one of the only ones in the world?? It's mostly held together with hot glue. I started out with epoxy, but clamping this vinyl dented it so I went out and bought a(nother) hot glue gun. The epoxy left a lot of shmutz around the edge of the hat. I needed something to cover it, but it was impossible to cut the vinyl without the white knit lining showing. PUFF PAINT. I have always loved it for stencilling, it gives results like silk screen and holds up well. It also dries to almost the same sheen as the vinyl, and you can make little spikes with it! I really am a goth kid at heart, hahah.

Asia modeling one of the only other vinyl pillbox hats in existance... this one is red wet look vinyl decorated with white garage sale price stickers for polkadots. Once I got going I was whipping up the base for a pillbox hat in probably 30-45 minutes.

This has been affectionately dubbed "the Bra Bow Hat". Grey crepe back satin and little silver nailhead bows glued on! They were from my grandmother's stash and I still have a few hundred of them, expect more like this. I love this hat, I like to wear it out with my grey silk harem pants. You ever want more attention from guys at a bar, wear a pretty hat! Or you know, look like Megan does, that helps too hahahah.

Plastic canvas stitched with black acrylic yarn = high fashion crafting! Plastic canvas is really a fun material, plus those circles are 20 or 30 cents. Rad. My friends are telling me I need to mail the bow hat to Lady Gaga to see if she'll wear it out, hahaha.

The 5th element series! The blue and white is plastic lawnchair webbing that I found at a thrift store. It has a really fun hand to it, you can twist it into all kinds of voluminous swirls. Plus, it's thin enough to sew by machine, so I was able to make a hat entirely out of it. No inner support or anything! The other is gingham covered plastic canvas with a webbing flourish. Also, it fits the dog.

Last one! Ironically, the first one I made. This was lighter weight plastic canvas that I already had on hand, the hats worked a lot better after I bought the heavier weight and stitched with yarn instead of thread. It's taller, smaller, and covered in scraps from a cashmere cardigan I felted and cut up. It also yielded a beret and a turban-style hat, which I'm going to put up in another post. If you look really close, you can also see the eyepatch I made for my fabulous creature when his glass eye got broken.

What do you think? I had a ton of fun putting these together, it really made me think differently about my materials.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009 08:49:43 AM by littlepierre » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my portfolio and blog at www.creatureswithey es.com

I'm in the mood for a personal swap, anyone want a hat?
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009 10:07:17 AM »

FANTASTIC!  The methods, the materials, the outcome... everything!  I'm eager to see another post with the hats you mentioned. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009 11:13:57 AM »

Wow wonderful where was your post 2 weeks ago when I needed pics to base a hat off of. Great job but how do you get them to stay on the head. That is the problem I am having.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009 03:03:15 PM »

Plastic canvas hats! GENIUS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
littlepierre
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009 03:23:00 PM »

Beth- they all have the very thin black cord elastic glued or tied in under the edge, it goes around under the hair and blends in very well most of the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my portfolio and blog at www.creatureswithey es.com

I'm in the mood for a personal swap, anyone want a hat?
kaitmustwait
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009 04:06:26 PM »

!
I love them all!
So unique and well photographed too!
Great work!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady_sepulchre
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009 12:53:36 AM »

I would never have guessed the polka dots were just stickers! I have a weakness for polka dots so that hat is my favorite but theyre all beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Saviors and Saints and Devils and Heathens alike..She'll eat you alive.~*
http://www.wists.com/lady_sepulchre
MAF R6 Swap-working on #3
Psych Swap-delayed
My Etsy- http://www.etsy.com/shop/ladysepulchre
Personal swap hiatus due to health issues.
jca1982
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009 07:08:11 AM »

These are great!
I really love the lawnchair webbing hats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'If I wasn't born a woman, i'd have been a drag queen' Dolly Parton

My etsy!
https://MidwestBeauties.etsy.com
Maraleopard
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009 09:39:21 AM »

they're all wonderful! & very creative use of materials Smiley
my favourites are the bow & polka dot ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blogfacebook + twitter

it is better to destroy, than to create what is meaningless.
Silversark

Queen of France!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009 10:58:01 AM »

Ah, YES, Fabritac has saved me bum more than once.  A dog wearing a hat?! BANANAS!

Great work.  I wish I could go to millinery school!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make Elegant Gothic Lolita goods on commission, and sometimes I just make things for the online store!

http://silversark.etsy.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear White and Keep It Clean
Clinton Kelly Shows You How to Rock Hot Summer Trends
Top Fashion Trends from Bonnaroo Music Festival 2013
How to Pull Off a Shorts Suit
Style Crush: Jessica Alba
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...