A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,015
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 101 Ways to Continue Crafting Without Breaking The Bank  (Read 23658 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010 06:53:57 PM »

54. Paint/Wallpaper stores like Sherwin Williams. They will sometimes give out wallpaper sample books for free when the company doesn't want them used anymore. I have gotten 4 free books and use them to back my papercuttings and have used them on cards and when I want things a bit more waterproof than plain paper.

(Thank you S-Ws!)

55. Old paint chips from if you were painting...I just did and kept the chips I collected during my "what color should this be" phase of painting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
Tiger_lily2011
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2011 03:53:03 PM »

There is a store called RUE 21, it's a nation wide chain that sells trendy clothes. The ALWAYS have great sales on clothing (Which has really cool embellishments, patterns, and other interesting things) They have like $2, $3, and $5 racks in the back ALL THE TIME, also they have GREAT bargins on the accessories/jewelry. You could pick up a lot of cheap items and turn them into something fabulous!! I baught a hinged wallet a few months ago for .99 cents, I added some rhine stones, and a little bit of paint and it's about the coolest thing I have seen lately Smiley Hope this helps....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deceptive.fragileness
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2011 06:55:57 PM »

If you have a paint factory nearby, they can be a great place to get free paint. When my husband worked there he came home with boxes and boxes of spray paint, household paint, etc. The only things wrong with them were that they were dented/had broken tips. Easy to fix (You can even use empty bic lighters to make tips), and voila, a 10 dollar FULL can of spray paint for nothing.

Another place to look for cheap stuff: the dump. Our local dump has an area with stuff that really isn't "dump trash" that you can buy for whatever it weighs. The recycle center does the same stuff; my hubby scored a 200 dollar antique bicycle for a buck there.

If you can, check out schools as well. When I worked at a school, they had rooms and rooms full of "storage" that I ended up scoring some really nice fabric and craft supplies from. All I had to do was organize it all, and check off a list. [
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2011 12:55:47 AM »

Get to know construction workers/renovators - lots of stuff that can be reclaimed, or are cast offs/off cuts - wood, tile, paint, concrete, glass, moulding, etc.  Also, they may do things like cut things, trim things, etc
Milkweed makes great downy stuffing, or can be nice silky hair for dottees or something too.

Clean butcher paper can be reused for freezer paper stencils - our local butchers often package in plastic wrap or bags before wrapping in the pink butcher paper.

Old tossed out shower curtains can be great for tarps for painted objects, or messy crafts like hypertufa, etc.

At the end of the year, I found that profs in university would clean out their offices and get rid of their out of date editions of texts, etc.  Great source for hard covers, and some texts have great pics/diagrams for paper crafts - maps, medical diagrams, etc.

Don't forget about using leftover tea or coffee to dye things, same with other kitchen items, like boiled onion skins, beets, etc.

Saving old greeting cards, post cards, birthday cards, etc for paper crafts, tags, remaking new cards, ornaments, etc.  Same with gift wrap for papers, ribbons, etc.  Could even ask friends/family to save stuff for you too.  Great way of getting tissue paper for coloured papier mache. 

Warehouse sales!  I love warehouse sales!  Especially warehouse sales where I can also use coupons!  It doesn't have to be "craft" warehouse sales either - kitchenwares for example.  Silicone baking mats are great for non-stick surfaces for glue guns, or for resting hot tools on, rolling out polymer clay, etc.  Spice containers for holding whimsies, beads, buttons, glitter, micro beads.  Cups and containers for decorating.  I go to the fashion district for cheaper fabric, or to get t-shirts right from the manufacturer to stencil - often fo $1-$2.

Dollar stores and liquidation stores - it is amazing the stuff they can get from closeouts sometimes.  My local dollar store had a great supply of Fiskars scissors once, and always a great source of sponges and brushes.

If you live in a community where there is a homeowner's association or some kind of community association, get the community to organize a big rummage sale, or goods exchange, or, for gardeners, a plant cutting/seed exchange.  First dibs on each others stuff, gather more people if organized and advertised, and get to know the neighbours (our community turns it into street party/BBQ, and raises money for the local hospital too).

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011 01:13:57 AM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lillianpearl

Jack of all trades...master of none

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2011 05:55:06 PM »

Home Depot (and other hardware stores AND FABRIC stores) not only have paint chip samples, but in other departments they have fabric samples, roofing samples, flooring samples etc. These are all good for scrapbooking/card making etc! [I had a bunch of flooring tiles when i was trying to decide on a floor, and figured out I could connect them together and made a cool looking tray kind of thing from it!]

Nature is a great place to look for everything. Remember daisy chains from a kid? They make great garlands for spring around the house! Also leaves during autumn are really beautiful garlands!

I keep a little tupperware container where I throw paper scraps from paper crafts. When it gets full I throw it in a blender and make some homemade paper!

Newspapers, you can do the same thing, and create beautiful beads. Leave as is, or paint to get really creative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2011 10:10:09 PM »

Recently I was at work knitting a sock (no really they let me knit at work!) and I needed stitch markers but had none on me. What worked? Paper clips!

Paper clips are excellent stitch markers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
craftarded

I swear, I didn't hide your yarn under the couch!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2011 11:08:11 AM »

This is probably a stretch for most, but I'm a bit of a treasure hunter.  I have family and friends that live in the country on land that's been inhabited for at least 100 years.  When the weather is cold enough to keep the bugs and snakes to a minimum, I go digging around in the woods for old trash piles (ppl used to be such litterbugs!).  I've found everything from glass coke bottles and old china tea cups to kitchen utensils and car parts.  The busted up china turns into mosaic, kitchen utensils get cleaned up and decorate my kitchen walls, old canning jars have a million crafty uses, and so on.  The only thing it costs me is a little gas money and a few hours of my time.  I've also been lucky enough to make some spending money from some of my finds (old coins, civil war relics, etc).  Just be careful of snakes, don't trespass on private property, and refill any holes you dig.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shellibelli
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2011 06:37:24 PM »

Another suggestion is actually behind the thrift store they often throw stuff out if it doesn't sell, so I go in the store in the daytime, and behind it at night

Sad. I have a hard time believing that thrift stores really want to help rather make a profit, when they throw out useable stuff and don't give homeless people free backpacks (Believe me, I have been there.)

yeah sometimes their prices are outrageous for what it is.
a new thrift store opened here and although i love how clean an organized it is. i have NEVER seen a store let alone a trift store so worried about theft. they have those thingies pined on everything even shoes that beep so cant leave the store with them. and they dont let you take the carts from te store. they'll walk you to your car if you need help carying. and i don't remember seeing a dressing room. they let you use the bathroom i think and an employee stands guard outside so you take anything inside. lol. MAXIMUM security for used clothes that were donated anyway!!!! wtf? right?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2011 03:28:45 PM »

Okay, seems we've lost count, but it looks like about 75 ways so far. Yay us! I know we can get to 101.
76-I like having small bits of leather for crafting, so many uses. And my source is Goodwill. Suede skirts, pants, ect., and leather purses. Very cheap!
77-Jewelry making supplies-also Goodwill, or another thrift store. Even the ugliest, most broken stuff can be taken apart for beads, clasps, pin backs,chains. Sometimes they have bags full of jewelry and or old watches for sale, too. I've bought old earrings to transform into pendants, old necklaces to make new necklaces. 
78-Go to the clearance aisle of whatever store you're in-grocery, hardware, whatever. You never know what you'll find, and so many things have crafting possibilities. I found cans of black and cans of white spray paint for one dollar each at the Dollar General store. I've bought pricey airbrush paint very cheaply at the art store when the manufacturer discontinued a few colors. I found toy compasses in the kid's party supply section of the grocery-they'll be worked into something steampunk eventually.
79-Put a note on the bulletin board at work if you're looking for something specific. I always need old canes and full sized umbrellas(even broken ones), so I stuck up a note, and several people brought me their unwanted ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
andreawf
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2011 02:48:55 PM »

go to flea markets later in the day, people will give you sruff or just leave it near the trash so they don't have to bring it home!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Bed Valance
How to Darken a Room Using Curtains
How to Make Your Own Insulated Curtains
How to Make a Long Stitch
How to Stitch an Eyelet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...