A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 101 Ways to Continue Crafting Without Breaking The Bank  (Read 21695 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2010 09:41:48 AM »

44.  New to craftster, so Hi!  I LOVE this thread so thought it was a good place to jump in.

I don't know if anyone else can do this, but on my local animal rescue's facebook page, I posted that I'd like to start "crafternoons" where we bring our stuff and craft things for the rescue to sell in their thrift store.  Well, the rescue got back to me and said they get all kinds of craft stuff donated and have a hard time thinking of things to do with it, and they'd love to help me organize these "crafternoons" and let us all craft with those FREE supplies!  I'm going in to talk about getting it started today.  :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
thegreengriffin
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010 08:48:06 PM »

45. make twig furniture for faeries or dolls!
example
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010 12:19:19 AM »

46: The trash! All the containers we throw away. Coffee cans, glass jars, ect. can be covered with fabric, or pretty paper. Fill with cookies, or just use as storage.Tin cans can become pencil holders. Pretty metal soft drink cans, Monster or Arizona tea cans are thin enough to be cut with scissors, and turned into jewelry, or...anything! Newspaper and junk mail and magazines? Weave them to make a bag-folks here have made nifty purses, there's tutes. I've seen soo many things made from magazines here. Or use the paper to decoupage with.  Or just use elmers glue, and use the paper for paper mache. You can paint your sculpture to make it pretty, or just use a pretty paper or fabric for the top layer. Make paper beads.
Somewhere. long ago, I saw a jewelry artist online who used metal tubes that tomato paste came in-she cut them open, used the soft goldish metal, perhaps toothpaste tubes also? Oh, I've seen toothpaste tubes pencil pouches here. Plastic water bottles? Again, on craftster, she cut them like you do to roll up paper beads, colored them with pencils and markers, rolled them, held them with pliers, heated them over a torch(I used a candle, was a pain, but worth experimenting again sometime) and made cool beads. Someone else here used plastic bottles to make flowers-heck, you could cut open any plastic bottle, flatten it, and cut out shapes for...anything! Cut up a pringle's can, cover it to make a bangle bracelet. You can save potato chip bags-I've seen folks here shrink them in the oven-find a tute, I forget the details! The purses, ect, folks here have made from ramen bags, or foil juice packs.
That's just off the top of my head, there's so much more. Before you toss it or recycle something-look at it and think of it as a craft material.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
http://www.gofundme.com/bvnj24,help kid's chess trip
thegreengriffin
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010 07:50:46 AM »

"crafternoons" :-)

haha cute!  i wonder if people could find non crafty people to donate supplies for them to make and sell crafts for their local charities (yay animal rescue!  I have two rescues <3).  that would be a fun and interesting way to ask for donations and you'd probably get more than just asking for $$
im not going to number this one since its really just expanding on goddess garb's post

47 estate sales of crafty people.  i got LOADS of miniature dollhouse stuff for $50 from someone who was just trying to get rid of all her mom's collection since she didnt craft.  discretely check craigslist, garage/yard/estate sales
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010 12:04:33 AM »

48: You can get old books for almost nothing at Goodwill. 25 or 50 cents. I think? Use a hardcover book to make a booksafe. Cut a square out of all the pages, glue the edges.
Wonderfully garish cheap paperbacks? Make a wallet/billfold! Someone on craftster does marvelous ones from cheesy romance novels, ect., and has posted a tute. Or make a book purse! I know that there are lots of other crafts involving old books, this is what's off the top of my head.

And I'd love to see us reach the 101 ways, or even more!

49: Like to make shrink dinks? Shrink plastic is expensive? You can recycle certain types of other plastic instead. Plastic clear lids from take out, other clear plastic-like the insert from graham cracker pie crusts.Experiment, the time and temp may be a bit different from real shrink plastic. But it's worth experimenting. Read shrinky dink instructions first, and be careful. It's number 6 plastic, and here's a crafster link-
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=347988.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
http://www.gofundme.com/bvnj24,help kid's chess trip
Smmarrt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010 03:44:33 PM »

50. Some cities have "SCRAP" which stands for Scroungers Center for Recycled Art Parts. For about $5. a bag, you fill up with all the things you like. These are odds and ends donated by local companies and organizations - extra or incorrect flyers on copy paper; left-over posters; fabric remnants; spools and other things that things were on originlay and the original thing is used up so the container/holder thing is left over, if you know what I mean; scraps from home restoration or construction jobs. Generally I find (for me and my preschoolers) paper, cardboard, tins and other containers, fabric, and other art stuff like sponges or foam. I know there are 2 or 3 Scrap Centers in California - but I think I read there are more in other cities like Chicago? Houston? Look on the "City Guides for Craftsters" link.

51. I don't don't if these are cheap or not but the Symphony and Opera and other museums and organizations have yearly rummage/clear out sales. I'll bet there is alot of fabric and paint and other crafty stuff used for costumes and props.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/smmarrt/
Fabric Art Journal Pages Swap ROUND 3 - Working
Altered Puzzle Pieces - again!
3-D Bugs coming soon....
thegreengriffin
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010 02:41:58 PM »

52 a lot of sellers on etsy sell scraps or little bits of their supplies for less than a dollar when you buy something from them.  you have to buy something first, but if you already are (especially for xmas)...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amberwench
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010 04:49:40 PM »

24. Cottonwood cannot be used to make yarn Sad

53) But you -can- use cat tail down as a stuffing! Collect full, solid brown heads, leaving them intact on the stem. At home, hold the head inside a pillowcase or plastic bag and shove the fluff off. Pull out the stem. Use one hand to hold the bag, and the other to rub all the dense pieces of fluff untill you have only a bag of free, natural stuffing!
No need to de-seed, the seeds are tiny. I suggest fluffing one cat tail cob at a time so you dont end up with too much fluffed stuffing; the unused cobs can be stored until needed.
During WWII, the US gov did tests on cat tail fluff- it stays lofty (which is the key to providing insulation) and boyant, even after 100 hours straight underwater!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010 04:51:26 PM by Amberwench » THIS ROCKS   Logged

What's Beyond the Horizions' Horizion?

Today I plan to love a little, laugh a little, and provide someone a chance to reconsider their assumptions- Or, in short: love, laugh, and freak out the locals. Won't you join me?
Mrs. Awesome_Pants

Creative minds are rarely tidy.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010 11:18:57 AM »

I second Craftster swaps, as well as Etsy trades.  I just did a trade with a seller on Etsy and totally scored.  We did a $5 swap; I sent her a set of cotton face scrubbies that took me twenty minutes to make, and she sent me two plastic baggies FULL of vintage buttons.  I love them and they would have cost me at least twice that much in-store or elsewhere.

Also, if a store nearby you is going out of business, stop in and look around.  Often, they sell off *everything*, down to the furniture.  I stopped in to a grocery store going out of business last night and was seriously tempted by some lightweight but sturdy metal shelving that was going for $10.  Would've been perfect for organizing my supplies closet.  Too bad Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs. Awesome_Pants

Creative minds are rarely tidy.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010 11:24:59 AM »

Also, almost forgot to add.

I live on a college campus, and every year for the last three years, I've seen the most amazing stuff being left behind for the taking during move-out week.  Curtains, old clothes, pillows I've snatched for the polyfill, books, cardboard boxes, storage containers...the list is endless.  I once saw a pair of knee-high red leather stilettos sitting in a "free" box.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sushi Ingredients to Have on Hand
Sushi and Sashimi Condiments
How to Prepare a California Roll
What is Shiso
How to Prepare Futomaki
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...