A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 303,211
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First corset we ever made.  (Read 1279 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: August 16, 2009 07:49:48 AM »

My daughter was visiting from Florida for a week and unfortunately we were low on cash. We couldn't afford to go anywhere special so I suggested we make something together. She said she wanted a corset top so we went from there. She picked the fabric and we got some instructions, that were a bit confusing from time to time. Lets just say there was some guessing here and there, but FINALLY we were able to make a close facsimile. Here she is. She is holding on to it because we still had to get some grommets for the laces.

I usually make bags or dolls. I haven't made many clothes so I am kinda proud of it and it was a learning experience. Any comments are welcome.

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition form mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009 08:08:44 AM »

well done for making a corset with such little experience with clothes making. it looks good. a few quick questions though.
were you using boning if so steel or plastic? is it multilayered? i.e does it have a lining and strength layer and then the fashion fabric
when i was making my first corset i found some great instructions on one of the corset making forums on yahoo, it was a great help and reasonably clear. i can either send you the document or try to find the link if you want it.
KJ Arrow
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009 11:42:50 AM »

That will look beautiful all laced up! And the fabric is lovely. Good work on a first time corset!

Thaliya:  You should post a link. I know I would like one =]
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009 05:49:01 PM »

I used plastic boning. I used black lining and iron on interfacing on both lining and the outer fabric.
I'll take you up on the link if you have it. I might want to try it again. This was a good learning experience, but I think I can do better.

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition form mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009 05:51:19 PM »

Thank you, KJ Arrow, for your kind comment

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009 05:53:34 PM »

It's possible that the direct link will bnot work because you have to join the corsetconstruction group on yahoo but it is worth it.
also another link that might be of you the merrycorsetier livejournal. i mostly just looked around and and picked up things.
good luck with your second go Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ham Sandwich Recipe
PB&J Bagel Sandwich Recipe
Turkey Sandwich Recipe
Southern-Favorite Hummingbird Cookies Recipe
Crock Pot Chili Con Carne Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Stuffed Acorn Squash
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...