A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,028
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: It's my shop - don't I call the shots?  (Read 4499 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« on: August 15, 2009 10:04:31 AM »

I had a request from someone who wanted something custom made from my shop Ė it was a little bigger than what I sell, which meant altering my pattern. Right off the bat - she didnít know what a bag lining is (she thought it was the topstitching), so I had to explain that to her. She wanted a certain fabric from another Etsyer (sent me a link), I wanted her to buy it & have it sent to me. At 1st she balked, but then decided to do it after a couple of emails. Because she was buying the fabric, she wanted to know if I was going to give her a discount on my price. I said no because I have to make the pattern bigger plus thereís still other supplies Iím using from my stock (ideally, the price should've been higher because it's a bigger piece - stupid on my part). She said that she didnít understand ďwhy this was all complicated, she didnít want a NEW pattern, just make one like I have in my shop.Ē I had to explain (several times) that the ones in my shop wonít fit what she wanted it for Ė mine were smaller. She also wanted to pay now, but I always have my customer pay after Iím done upon them looking at pics & approving. She finally relented, ďOk, weíll do it your way, but you have to buy the fabric.Ē I wrote her back & basically said I couldnít continue because of all the differences. There were other frustrating things in her emails. I knew it wasnít going to end, & my heart wasn't in it anymore - I felt that I wasn't going to produce a good product. I havenít heard back from her.

She also explained her other transactions & how other sellers were & I had to tell her that not every shop is the same - every seller has their own policy.

Itís my shop, donít I call the shots? I know weíre out to please the customer, but what if they are just picky & frustrating. I had to explain myself to this person in every return email - she just didn't get it. Was I right to cancel the transaction? I've done custom orders before, but this one was too much.

I didnít have a Custom Order Policy before, but I do now. I didnít think I had to spell things out, but I guess in cases like this, itís necessary. I may not do custom orders any more if I get frustrating requests like this one.

Sorry for the story, but I'm frustrated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009 12:04:13 PM »

I think you did the right thing. It's very feasible that she had no idea what she was asking of you.  Sometimes if people don't make things also, they just don't get the effort involved.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little me
Little Me Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009 02:27:49 PM »

I did get the feeling that she had no clue what was involved in the process. Thanks for your validation, jungrrl - I feel better now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cbsews
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009 11:36:37 AM »

Sometimes it's hard to deal with custom orders, its a fine line. I will tell you one thing though, in the future and you'll find this all over etsy's forums you may want to ask for a deposit like 50% or for them to pay for full for the item in the future. You'll find sometimes even though you have had multiple conv's with someone when it comes time to pay they walk away and are never heard from again. Meaning you have a custom order and no customer or money for your time.  It's sad to say but it happens.

Smiley hang in there not everyone is difficult!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiley Check out My Etsy Shop Smiley
http://coolbeans717.etsy.com
little me
Little Me Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009 06:08:41 PM »

. . . you may want to ask for a deposit like 50%  . . .

I don't like asking for full payment in the beginning, but I suppose a deposit would kind of commit them so they wouldn't walk away. I was just not liking that this girl was telling me what to do when it's my product & my shop. Thanks for your advice cbsews.

**edit** Went to check out your shop & you make cute stuff - I love your felt items & your aprons.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009 06:18:24 PM by little me » THIS ROCKS   Logged

endlessxhorizon
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009 09:10:07 AM »

I do a lot of custom orders and I used to always do it your way (have them pay for the full thing at the end when I'm finished), but after reading on the forums that most people take at least 50% up front I changed my policy. No one has complained and some people have just said they wanted to pay for the whole thing right up front (and did).

However, even though I take 50% now, I still have had one person ditch me and a big order of 6 slippers that cost her about $90 total. She paid the half and when I told her they were finished, she told me she was in a financial bind right now and would pay as soon as possible. That was back in June and I have not heard back from her since - looks like she's dumping the slippers and me. But at least I got the half up front for my time and effort. It's her choice if she doesn't want to come back and complete the transaction. It makes me sad, but at least I didn't do all the work and get absolutely nothing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Brandy
Find my accessories @ http://brokenhallelujah.artfire.com
little me
Little Me Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009 02:10:52 PM »

Yes, I am starting to realize that maybe I need to at least have the customer pay a deposit. Even tho my stuff is not personalized, meaning it can be re sold in my shop, it would still suck to have someone bail after taking the time to make something they wanted.

I'm sorry about your custom order, I hope it's not a total loss for you (well, you at least got her deposit). Can you re sell it in your shop? I love your shop btw, everything is so pretty - your slippers are very cute (too bad I have flat feet).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

endlessxhorizon
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009 05:23:09 AM »

Thanks!

I can resell them, thankfully! I just have 6 slippers all the same color of blush pink, but different sizes. Ack! They were supposed to be for her bridal party, which I thought was a very cute idea. Oh well.

And my slippers don't have a fixed form to them. They form to your feet. So I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble with them. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Brandy
Find my accessories @ http://brokenhallelujah.artfire.com
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009 10:33:42 AM »

The customer is NOT always right.

I've dealt with these types while in standard retail, I'd never last doing custom work -.-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.rattleheadgames.com') - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
little me
Little Me Crafts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009 08:10:01 PM »

The customer is NOT always right.
Yes, I agree w/you shewolf about the customer not always being right - in any circumstance. Sometimes they just push the issue because they think they can.

. . . I'd never last doing custom work
I'm going to try again to do custom work & if I continue to get grief from customers, I'm stopping & just sticking to making & selling. I do have a custom request & it's my daughter's friend, so far, the prob has been communicating. We'll see. Thanks, shewolf

And my slippers don't have a fixed form to them. They form to your feet. So I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble with them.
The prob w/my feet is that I wear orthotics & I need shoes w/structure. I will keep you in mind for Christmas for my 2 daughters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vegetarian Saag Aloo Recipe
Regional Chinese Food and Cooking
How to Cook Lemon Chicken
How to Make Dried Tofu Fried With Celery
California Sushi Roll Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...