A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 301,588
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Star Afghan in RAINBOW Colors!  (Read 9821 times)
Tags for this thread: afghan , star_afghan  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

everkutz
« on: August 14, 2009 07:16:09 PM »

My teen daughter had told me that I had never made her an afghan and God forbid, if I should die, she wouldn't have an afghan to remember me by!  (she was joking, of course!)  She requested a Star-shaped afghan in rainbow colors, separated by black.  She loves bright colors!

This is BIG....it measures 50 inches from the center to the star point.  Even with the odd star shape, two people can snuggle under it very easily. 

I used Simply Soft yarn.  I did 6 rows of each color, separated by 2 rows of black.  It is done in double crochet.

It took me FOREVER to finish this because with all the double crochet it got a bit boring.  But it is done now and I when my time comes to die, my darling daughter will have a very nice blanket to remember me by!  Wink

My daughter showing how large it is!

My daughter wrapped up like a burrito!

Hope you like it! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.  Maybe that is why they call us Hookers?
ilovesnails

Slugs are just homeless snails.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009 07:23:45 PM »

Love it! The colors are wonderful and she will always treasure it I'm sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JanelleJ
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009 07:33:47 PM »

It is beautiful! Any huge! lol. I haven't jumped into the world on afghans yet. How many skeins of each color did you use? (sorry if that's a newbie question)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockstarcharmer

"Whats a happenin, hot stuff?"

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009 07:35:21 PM »

It's beautiful! I'm making a staghan for my yet to be born daughter but luckily it'll be tiny compared to yours. I'm impressed with the size and I know what you mean about it getting boring. Good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PepperSprout
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009 07:38:50 PM »

Super awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a craft blog,too. 
http://briannecrafts.blogspot.com/
pesky pixie
Kitschy Crocheter

Hook like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009 07:44:05 PM »

So beautiful!
I love the bright colors you chose and Simply Soft yarn is soooooo soft I bet it's very comfy.
Great job!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sorcivamp
My Crap

A Crafty Vamp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009 07:53:07 PM »

FABTABULOUS!!!!!  I made one and its MUCH smaller but now I think I need to expand
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tavernkitty
Amigo of the Catigos

Woot!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009 08:16:53 PM »

Nice! my starghans never look that nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my Wist
everkutz
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009 08:49:53 PM »

Thanks everyone for the nice compliments! 

The number of skeins varied with each color.  I used less than half the skein of purple--that's the center. Indigo-less than 1 skein, blue-less than 1 skein, yellow-about 1 1/2 skeins, orange-2 skeins, and almost 3 full skeins of red. I used 2-3 skeins of black.  I used a G hook.

I'm now making a star shaped pillow for my darling daughter.  No black for the pillow, just 2 rows dbl crochet of each color, and I left out the indigo.  The pillow was large enough without the indigo and black.  I'll post pictures when I'm finished. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.  Maybe that is why they call us Hookers?
JanelleJ
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009 09:11:41 PM »

A matching pillow is perfect! Your daughter is so lucky! I try so hard to get my mom to learn to crochet, but she refuses to do so. I really wish I could collaborate with her on a granny square afghan or something. Does your daughter crochet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GrindHouseHussy19
Guess Im at the right spot!! lol Here to craft an' chat!! woohoo!!!

Member of CAA- Crafting Addicts Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009 09:57:41 PM »

Awesome job!!!! and soooooooooooo jealous!!! i can't crochet myself outta a wet paper bag!!!  Cry Cheesy LOL
would LOVE to be able to do that one day!!! LOL
again wicked job!!

-GH
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amissingbutton
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009 07:37:04 AM »

Wow, that is amazing!  I love the colours
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yeah, I Blog...

Check out my Grandpa's Etsy!
mutantmint
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009 05:35:22 AM »

Awesome!! That's the biggest Starghan I've seen! I've been wanting to make one for myself, but I have yet to do any large scale crochet projects...maybe for this winer... ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pookiemccool
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"Even when we're apart I can feel you next to me. There's a hidden love connecting us like voices on a string. Even when I'm alone I can tell you're with me. There's a hidden love connecting us and I'm holding on..."

I <3 swaps!

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009 12:33:03 PM »

I tried to make that afghan last year around this time and the pattern drove me crazy. I don't know what I was doing wrong but it started to look more like a starfish because my corners started to turn and didn't stay straight. Which pattern did you use? I used "Beth's little star afghan"

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/heartfeltangels/littlestarafghan.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everkutz
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009 06:21:00 PM »

I tried to make that afghan last year around this time and the pattern drove me crazy. I don't know what I was doing wrong but it started to look more like a starfish because my corners started to turn and didn't stay straight. Which pattern did you use? I used "Beth's little star afghan"

Yes, this is the pattern I used.  I just kept adding row after row after row to make it larger.

My daughter does not crochet but wants me to crochet her everything she sees! I hope she will learn to crochet one day.  It is a bit difficult for me to teach her because she is a lefty.

Thanks for the awesome compliments everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftygrace
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009 07:33:33 PM »

I struggled with the pattern at first, too. This tute might help: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8645459@N07/sets/72157600301704130/ I've made two so far. It's a great pattern once you get the hang of it. : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pookiemccool

"Even when we're apart I can feel you next to me. There's a hidden love connecting us like voices on a string. Even when I'm alone I can tell you're with me. There's a hidden love connecting us and I'm holding on..."

I <3 swaps!

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009 09:33:15 PM »

yeah i've seen that tutorial before, it was the only way I could get through the pattern, I was starting to doubt my ability and went searching to see if others were having problems.. I may have messed up on a row, but its extremely cute and I will try again at some point.. there are some pretty good books/tutorials online to learn to crochet or local yarn shops have classes, as long as she has patience, hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

christina_209
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009 10:17:54 PM »

That is soooooooo cute and you do realise that god forbid you died I wouldnt have a beautiful star shaped afgan to remember you by lol Grin  Good job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AprilDraven
Tutorial Contributor

I aim to misbehave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009 07:45:23 AM »

LOL now I am feeling the guilt too. (I hate making big stuff) Maybe I will make my daughter one too soon. Great Job. I applaud you on your patience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mousica

Creating Crafty Goodness!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009 10:58:18 AM »

What an awesome mom! I love that blanket!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluelodge
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009 08:38:20 AM »

Everkutz.  I'm a lefty too.  Teach her right handed crochet.  You will be doing her a favor.  Learning to crochet is awkward for everyone.  She may as well learn right handed.  I did and I'm so glad.

I love the Afghan.  It's so huge and pretty too.  I started one, but it puffed up so much at the inner circle part.  I gave up.  I don't know which pattern I used.  I think I'll try again with Beth's pattern.  You've inspired me.  I want to use up my acrylic yarn.  Then I will allow myself to buy some good wool yarn. 

I want to make a few ear flap hats for Christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mamainak
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009 09:11:28 AM »

Wow!! Amazing!! Love the colours!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009 10:25:01 AM »

I crochet left-handed, self-taught. There's a kit I found with a book (white cover, with hooks etc) that helped a LOT.

That's a beautiful afghan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
Sunnychoppers
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009 11:32:05 AM »

Beautiful work!! 

Your daughter is very lucky.

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
groundedpidgeon
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2009 10:42:57 AM »

I love the colors! Every time I've tried making a star afghan, it just wouldn't come out right and I gave up after about 5 rows. I can't believe how huge you made this one. Your daughter is very lucky!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moxiepurple
Star Stealer

Meow...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009 02:19:27 PM »

I've got to be bad here, I read somewhere you said she loves scarves, and direct you to the Twinkie Chan site, she sells super cute food themed scarves. She doesn't sell her patterns, but these might give you some fun ideas.

My favorite is the octopus scarf in the "savory stuffs" sub-gallery, I'm thinking of trying to make something like it one day.

Gallery Link: http://twinkiechan.com/gallery.php
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009 02:20:27 PM by moxiepurple » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am up for a personal swap!
spicytaco

Lalala...

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009 03:08:46 PM »

That's just gorgeous. Part of the reason I taught myself to crochet was I wanted to make a star afghan in colours like that. Haven't done it, maybe some day. Yours is great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
everkutz
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2009 11:11:58 AM »

I've got to be bad here, I read somewhere you said she loves scarves, and direct you to the Twinkie Chan site, she sells super cute food themed scarves. She doesn't sell her patterns, but these might give you some fun ideas.

My favorite is the octopus scarf in the "savory stuffs" sub-gallery, I'm thinking of trying to make something like it one day.

My daughter and I LOVE Twinkie Chan and her work!  I am working on a pizza scarf for my daughter at the moment and she wants a few others that Twinkie has done.  I've also made a toilet paper scarf (not done by Twinkie, but still a crazy scarf)--here's the link-- http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=248505.msg2754632#msg2754632.  I've made two different rainbow scarves, one with clouds at the ends and another with a pot of gold at the end.  Here are the links:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=290430.msg3297747#msg3297747 and http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=248500.msg2754580#msg2754580 .   Plus I'm made a fall leaves scarf with acorns on it and that has also been posted on Craftster at http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=287719.msg3262252#msg3262252 .  These are Twinkie's scarves, but still crazy, silly scarves.  I've made several more scarves for my daughter, but haven't posted them yet. 

Thanks everyone for the great comments! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moxiepurple
Star Stealer

Meow...

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2009 01:43:28 PM »

My daughter and I LOVE Twinkie Chan and her work!  I am working on a pizza scarf for my daughter at the moment and she wants a few others that Twinkie has done.  I've also made a toilet paper scarf (not done by Twinkie, but still a crazy scarf)--here's the link-- http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=248505.msg2754632#msg2754632.  I've made two different rainbow scarves, one with clouds at the ends and another with a pot of gold at the end.  Here are the links:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=290430.msg3297747#msg3297747 and http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=248500.msg2754580#msg2754580 .   Plus I'm made a fall leaves scarf with acorns on it and that has also been posted on Craftster at http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=287719.msg3262252#msg3262252 .  These are Twinkie's scarves, but still crazy, silly scarves.  I've made several more scarves for my daughter, but haven't posted them yet. 

Thanks everyone for the great comments! 

Can't wait to see them, I've bookmarked your projects page for looking around later. I love scarfs as well, but I live in Houston, TX, and can only get away with wearing them for about a week. hehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little-pea
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2009 04:52:50 PM »

this rocks!

soo faboo, i love love love the colors!!!
the star afghan is the only afghan i'd consider doing, but my attention span is that of a goldfish... it'd probably take me YEARS to complete

but bravo, your daughter is so lucky!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you find me dead, please bring me back to canada and bury me with a box of kraft dinner.
moxiepurple
Star Stealer

Meow...

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2009 06:41:10 PM »

Well, now I'm making a starghan for my niece. I started it a little earlier today. =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everkutz
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2009 08:42:17 PM »

Well, now I'm making a starghan for my niece. I started it a little earlier today. =D

Good for you!  The first 15 rows or so go very quickly.  After that, it begins to slow down and get very repetitious.  I had hoped to get this one done in 2 weeks and it took about 2 months.  Good luck to you and I hope you post it when you finish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moxiepurple
Star Stealer

Meow...

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2009 12:36:09 PM »

Good for you!  The first 15 rows or so go very quickly.  After that, it begins to slow down and get very repetitious.  I had hoped to get this one done in 2 weeks and it took about 2 months.  Good luck to you and I hope you post it when you finish!

I'm not even sure what row I'm on right now, I got to nine, and stopped looking at the pattern. I can already see I need to go hunt for the other two balls of yarn I have in these two colors. My roomies' kids are all in love with it already. hehe I'm going to save it for Christmas, so as long as I'm done by then I'm happy. I'll post when I'm done. ttyl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Caddylolz

Making crafty messes since 1993

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2009 06:33:20 PM »

I love that. The colours are soo vibrant!
I would kill to make one of them, even though where I live never snows and is always hot Sad
love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog: www.itstherealthing.tumblr.com
de Santos (my craft business): http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/De-Santos-by-Carla-Bellot/149730198394526?ref=ts

willing to do personal swaps Smiley
isntitlovely
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2009 07:40:04 PM »

That's beautiful!  I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Green Elevator

Green Elevator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2009 07:37:29 PM »

wow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2009 07:59:39 AM »

I love that. The colours are soo vibrant!
I would kill to make one of them, even though where I live never snows and is always hot Sad
love it!

You can always join a few strands of yarn together and make it into a rug... I've done that a few times.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twodustyboots
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2009 03:04:27 PM »

This is possibly the most unique afghan I have ever seen. I can only sit and be envious, cuz I can't crochet and I have no patience to learn Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
l3ri

Glitter is the Herpes of the Arts and Craft World!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2010 02:35:20 PM »

This is absolutely beautiful! I haven't crocheted in a while, since I've picked up my sewing machine again ^_^, but this is definitely my next project!!!!!!!!! IT turned out fabulous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dreadfullydivine

Raising the next generation of evil warlords

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2010 07:47:58 AM »

I love the look of star afghans and once the holidays are over I am going to have to tackle making one for myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will do personal swaps.. ^_^
Whedonverse Swap Round 8: Questionaire sent!

50 Crafts in 2012~ 9/50+
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=395702.msg4714204#msg4714204
everkutz
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2010 07:56:56 PM »

The star afghans are really easy to do.  It's just the larger they get, the longer it takes to go around the whole thing, so one round seems to take forever!  But, it's worth it.  My daughter still loves this blanket and I've since made a matching pillow.

Thanks for the compliments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sauteed Noodles
Grilled Cheeseburgers
Eggs in a Nest Recipe
Chocolate Peanut Butter Treat Recipe
Simple and Satisfying Sliders Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...