A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 311,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
696 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Budget Friendly Costumes for 2009  (Read 2156 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 14, 2009 04:01:55 PM »

I know I wanna start making my costume early this year, as Halloween always sneaks up on me! This year, in particular, funds are a little tight. All of my ideas have revolved around "budget friendly"

So, I have narrowed my ideas down to three..... And now I can't pick.

Mia Wallace from Pulp Fiction is a really simple idea.... black capris, white button down, black bob wig and if i were feeling particularly naughty, a syringe to glue to my chest.

or

Holly Golightly. I have a dress that will work for the party scene.... so really I would just need a long cigarette holder, and black opera gloves. Only problem here is that I have WAY short hair. Which means no chignon. And unless I shell out big bucks for a nice wig, I don't think I could find one nice enough to handle being put up.

or

I have always wanted to Rosie the Riveter. Again, very simple. Black capris, blue button down, red and white polka dot hair bandanna. This lends itself to having short hair.

Hmm. Any opinions? You ladies and gents are way more imaginative than I! Any cheap costume ideas you wanna share?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
faded_dress
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009 05:38:58 PM »

Those all sound great! This year I decided to be the crazy cat lady. It should be easy to gather, just slippers, a robe, stockings, hair curlers, possibly a crazy gray wig and stuffed cats to put everywhere on me.

I'm really hoping I am off that day, so I can show up at work dressed like that for a visit (I work at an animal shelter, and they would get a kick out of it).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swaps welcomed! I have 15 rose balls up for grabs/trade.
sparky17
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009 03:32:36 PM »

i think rosie the riveter is the best one! thats a pretty awesome idea. i hope you post pics ofthe costume   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ironic Insanity
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009 06:43:18 PM »

I vote Rosie or Mia.  I'm going through this same thing right now; being a poor college student sucks sometimes. Sad  Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheebs

Too busy wisting to be resting...

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009 12:37:52 PM »

I honestly thought up the cheapest costume a few months ago.  Not sure how you feel about the series but you could be a vampire from Twilight.  Just put on some preppy/expensive looking clothes, pale up a bit with make-up then put glitter on exposed skin.  So simple. 

Also if you are a fan, Gaz from Invader Zim. 

Or even Daria:

Those are some of the budget friendly costumes I've come up with lately.  Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crying Goddess
Rocking CraftAngel

Every girl is her own goddess

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009 01:00:10 PM »

I'd say Rosie. It's quite a simple costume.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quote from: kjlutz
Craftster: Lovingly Breaking up Families in the name of Craft since Challenge 50

Please vote for my Redstone torch for challenge 96:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431999.0#axzz2vJFPpJwN
shea_47
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009 05:00:08 PM »

If you're handy with makeup, pretty much any costume is at your disposal. Checking out youtube for halloween tutorials brings up tons of results. A few other quick, easy, costume ideas are:

-ladybug: red shirt with black polka dots, black pants, antennae
-a Sim, a la radioheart in this thread http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=267631.0
-I'm thinkin' Arby's, http://www.coolest-homemade-costumes.com/coolest-im-thinking-arbys-costume.html
-tourist: guys loud Hawaii shirt, shorts, hat, neck camera/man purse; girls bright loud dress, flats, big sun hat, big purse. bring maps too!
-dice, rubix cube or anything made out of a box, paint and ribbon straps
-Greek God/Goddess: sheets, greenery and sandals
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I have put my heart and soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process." -Vincent van Gogh
Minimummy

Taking it one WIP at a time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009 04:31:01 AM »

Shea_47 Those are some pretty 'out of the box' ideas...well done! I have the imagination of a black and white radio... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog:
http://www.mothering-heights.net

Can't wait for winter to reappear!
KimmyLynne82
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I enjoy being a dame.

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009 08:11:27 AM »

Spider - BigLots has sweatshirts for $5 (hooded jacket-like sweatshirts for $7) if you can find some other old sweatshirts/long sleeved tshirts/etc you can cut the arms off them, stuff them, then attach them (we used safety pins on the inside of the shirt so we could reuse the shirt) to the body of the shirt. You could add some of those $1.50/2 pair of stretchy gloves to add hands to your spider); wear black pants, black shoes.

The same method could be done for an octopus...

One of my favorite easy/cheap costumes that has been posted on here before - "One Night Stand" - I will try to find the link to that one...it'll have to be later - I should really be getting ready to leave for a concert tonight in Milwaukee, but I'm super comfy!

I'm on a nursery rhyme theme kick because we're having customer service week at work and can do skits for them...you could do "Three Little Kittens" and make some ears from felt, paint your face like a cat, dress in the kitty color of your choice, and wear one mitten; if you can't find two others to dress up with you, you could attach little stuffed kitties to each of your shoulders, or something. "Three Blind Mice" - same idea...gray sweatsuit, sew on a tail, make some ears, etc. Sunglasses, find a cane (make one out of PVC pipe of a thinner diameter).

There are more, but my fingers aren't cooperating at the moment...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Kim~*
wists~ Swap Ideas on Pinterest~Blog~Twitter: @ThePeachMartini

I <3 Personal Swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Costume Makeup - Finishing the Scarred Joker
Costume Makeup - Applying the Base Coat
Costume Makeup - Applying Liquid Latex
Superhero Origins: Deadpool
Face Painting - Adding Finishing Touches
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...