A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,700
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dr. Girlfriend (Venture Brothers) dot painting  (Read 10409 times)
Tags for this thread: venture_brothers , dot_painting , tv  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

giddygirlie

not to be confused with giggly girlie

View Profile WWW
« on: August 14, 2009 02:08:52 PM »

I just wrapped up this dot painting this week for a friend's birthday -- Dr. Girlfriend, by special request. I love to do these paintings, they're sort of a simplified pointilism, that are kind of repetitive and tedious but it just clicks for me. As a bonus, the dots are raised slightly off the canvas, so there is a great texture to it as well, and since it's acrylic it is very durable and so you can run your fingers over it all day long! Smiley

I start with a canvas or canvas board (8x10" board, in this case) and prime the background in a single color. I usually use a bright blue, because it seems to set off the other colors nicely and provides a bit of light in the background. After the canvas is primed, I start my main outline: the face. I hand-place each dot, by dipping the back-end of my paintbrush into a puddle of paint and going back and forth ("dip, then dot...dip, then dot") between the pallette and canvas.

Work in progress:

After the hair and face were filled in, I started on the background. I like to make concentric circles, where ever I can (even in the face and hair) but they usually show up more prominently in the background. I used a matte purple paint this time, so that it would really set off the high-gloss black in her hair (and outline).

Finished! But I realized after I mailed it that there was a fingerprint on my camera lens, so these pictures have a smudge in the right corner. Oops! Sad In any case, you can click on the pictures to see the images larger.

I've made something like 50 of these paintings in the past year - too many to post them all on Craftster! - but if you're interested, I upload pictures of them all to Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/giddygirlie/tags/dotpainting

I've even made other Venture Brothers characters (which are always very popular). Thanks for looking! :-D

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009 02:14:18 PM »

This is really cool! I thought I saw circles in the hair, but I was wondering if it was just my brain. How do you do the different sizes of the dots? Just different sized paintbrushes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScampiLove
Scampi is Love

If Scampi Ain't Love, Then I Don't Know What Is!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009 02:16:49 PM »

That's really great!  It's like stippling, with paint!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009 02:22:12 PM »

This is really cool! I thought I saw circles in the hair, but I was wondering if it was just my brain. How do you do the different sizes of the dots? Just different sized paintbrushes?

Not only the hair but other places on the other ones. Psychedelic. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
audio
Nobody could do that much dcoupage without calling on the powers of darkness.

Galactic Empress Audrey The Nerdy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009 02:24:26 PM »

I love the dotting!! TOtally doing this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marmalade_skies
I could make that for you, but I won't.

<(-_-)> (>-_-)> (>-_-<) <(-_-<) <(-_-)>

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009 02:26:23 PM »

Very nice!  I love them all!  Wisted and *Rocked*  Grin

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arlene1960
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009 02:34:47 PM »

These are wonderful.   I would probably being touching them too much after they were finished, I'm into texture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
corduroy cat
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009 02:53:21 PM »

cool! i love venture bros!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009 03:04:06 PM »

I am so wisting this! Awesome!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
giddygirlie

not to be confused with giggly girlie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009 03:05:12 PM »

Thanks everybody!

Thesingingllamas - I usually just use the one paintbrush for everything, so the "bigger" dots are something like 3/16" of an inch? Maybe? Since it's basically a drop of paint, they vary pretty widely. For the smaller ones, it's just a matter of being more precise with the paint flow, just trying to gently touch the canvas before too much paint comes off. That probably doesn't make any sense to anyone - sorry! Long answer short: there's just one paintbrush. Smiley

audio-astrophysics - it really doesn't take as long as you'd think either. Maybe a couple of hours in total, and since there isn't much paint, it dries pretty quickly, so you don't have a lot of wet areas to work around.

I've also done this same type of painting with a flat-ended brush (I didn't mention before - oops! - that the paintbrush that I use has a tapered end). The flat end gives this 'kiss' effect on the paint, especially if it's thicker paint, that is really cool. I painted a coffee table out of boredom (how I got started doing this in the first place) with a flat-ended brush (you can also use a dowel) that looks neat AND feels really great under your fingers. Smiley

Pictures of the 'kiss' stippling (I saw someone else on Flickr call it "marquee pointilism" which I really love):

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Money Is a Kind of Poetry
California Literary Scene
Clive Thompson Talks About His New Book From SXSW
Celebrating the Joys of Letter Writing
Craig Nelson on the Atomic Age
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...