A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what's in a name.... ?  (Read 4409 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rainbowpfaff

the sisters pfaff... i'm the one on the left

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2005 06:24:44 PM »

Howdy!  This here would be my first ever craftster post, so I hope that all goes smooth sailing.  I wanted to share some of my adventures in my mission to fuel my sewing frenzy, namely organizing my work space!    Sooooo, my most recent project has been to make my sewing room (really a gutted walk-in closet alcove) a functional, organized, and pretty place to work.  

I started with the basics; I tidied, put my tools in a tool-tin, folded my scraps in containers based on the size of the fabric, I wound up all my bobbins and bolts of lace trim and I sent my sewing machine table to a weeny-craftster-spa-makeover-weekend.  

So, about this table:

The inspiration came mainly in the form of my great grandma's treadle Singer machine, and my torments during middle school.  

You see, I have the aforesaid treadle in my bedroom, and still whip 'er out when I feel ambitious.  I adore the fancy wood carved desky in which she sits; the golden Fleur da leis (sp? - I speak Spanish, not French) on the black enamel; the name "Singer" in bawdy Victorian advertisement-style; the antique spiffy-ness that I just can't find at Target these-a days.  My current sewing machine tables (I have 2 -- only one has been re-finished to date) were both free- one a dumpster dive, and one a hand out from a friend.  But they are both UGLY. but how can I possibly compete with turn-of-the-century-chic?

A divine, fortuitous, solution:

I, as many, was plagued with a blemished last name, which made some 7th grade role-callings torturous.  I realize now that I simply did not see the full potential I had with my funky namesake. Although of strong Sicilian descent, my last name is German, and comprized of 3/5 "f's".  When you are in middle school, this sucks.  When you are a textile geek, "Pfaff" suddenly takes on a whole new meaning.  It becomes a quirky hidden message that allows me to seek out fellow addicts, cocking my eyebrow in the check out line or with telephone operators [i.e. "How do you spell your last name, ma'am?", "Just like the sewing machine."]  Smiley

Bueno, thus these two ideas merged, and out of the dust (literally) rose my new Sewing Machine Table and craft room theme.

First I took apart my ugly table (including taking of the hinges, the fold-off top and cleaning dust out of every other nook and cranny,) and sanded it on my back porch.  After sanding, I primed it.

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/20033primed_table.JPG

Then, I whipped out the spray paint - black, high glossy to go for that antique black laquered style.

Me. Apron. And painted table.

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/20033me_in_apron_and_table.JPG

I did not show the next part, inthat I had a huge hole in the top of the table where a machine would drop in, but my current machine does not come equipt for such things.  I went to the hardware store, bought laminate, cut it to size, then drilled it down over the hole.  It is removeable, should I ever decide to change the design.

After painting, I went to work on the stencil. I just used acrylic paint, the daubing technique, and something my dad swears is called a "frisket" (a thin sheet of plastic fer stenciling).

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/20033stencil_mats.JPG

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/20033pfaff_stencil.JPG

I covered the whole table with high gloss minwax to keep it shiney and protect it from any bumps or bruises.  

I attached prettier details, hooks, screws, etc.

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/20033detail_of_pfaff.JPG

In the end, I got carried away and sprayed and stenciled my chair, the tool tin, in addition to the two spots on the machine table, in front of the machine itself, and on the fold out table.  (The whole craft room is going in that direction, this is just the first step.)

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/20033table_in_room.JPG

Wah-lah.

Wow, what a lot of fun, hard work.

Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010 08:51:48 PM by pixieval - Reason: removed broken image tags » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MotherHoodlum

viva la monkey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005 09:40:30 PM »

Dang, that whole thing is cool!  At first I just skimmed the messages (because I am a whore for pics) and kept going "what the heck is a PFAFF?"  But then I read ya!  I was cursed with a bizarre maiden name, so I can feel your school-aged angst!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who's yo mama?!
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005 10:09:24 PM »

GAWGEOUS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
meatyard

change into a nine year old hindu boy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005 10:38:36 AM »

i am envious of your space. i live in an apartment and use my dinning room table.  and the furniture design is striking.
p.s.
i'm not trying to be all boo hoo but i've always longed for an unusual  last name. Smith is tragically uninspiring.  Undecided
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005 10:40:49 AM by meatyard » THIS ROCKS   Logged

and i don't have a drinking problem...
'cept when i can't get a drink
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005 11:09:39 AM »

p.s.
i'm not trying to be all boo hoo but i've always longed for an unusual  last name. Smith is tragically uninspiring.  Undecided
/quote] Me as well...I mean, Stone? COME ON! Who came up with that? Whoever it was, should be shot
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
retroeva
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005 11:32:29 AM »

That was a really great idea! Todays designs need more black laquer (and it is spelled fleur de lis (the flower of life)- you almost had it!). Just to add to the last name rant, mine is Glosson. When asked how it is spelled I turn to the karate kid, "Like Gloss-on, Gloss-off." Yeah. Im a dweeb.
At least you dont have odd initals. My friend Brittanys initals after marrige are BM and mine could be EW. What gross and un social initias!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005 06:30:19 PM »

Fabulous job on the table and that narrow space.  I too had one of those names, I'm mostly Irish but name was French.  Barrette, you know those thing you wear in your hair.  I got so sick of that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ducktape_diva

Book'em good-lookin'

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005 08:59:37 PM »

Love the table!!! My last name is Dassow like the German town. I feel your pain. I to have had my name brutially slaughtered. Here are few examples: Dawson, Daffow, Gassow, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karatepop
Housewife Extrordinaire!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005 10:35:20 PM »

Awesome!

My first name is crazy, and super ethnic: Killoran.  I feel your pain.

My last name was Gordon (still is!) Now it's Gordon-Frash.  Ha ha.. like backwards Japanese Flash Gordon.

Go us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Choo Choo
Janet
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005 11:04:31 PM »

WOw
It's beautiful! The stenciling makes it so unique! And I love how everything's matching!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crochet for Beginners: How to Crochet Booties
How to Crochet Amigurumi
How to Crochet an Afghan
How to Crochet a Scarf
How to Crochet a Flower
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...