A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,451
Currently Running With Scissors:
445 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WWP 14 Mabon Card Gallery  (Read 3748 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DanniQuee
The Artful Danni

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 14, 2009 08:29:58 AM »

Merry Meet and welcome to the WWP Mabon Card Gallery!

Date to send cards by - September 14!

This is a swap within a swap, and you have to be signed up for Witch/Wiccan/Pagan Swap 14, or have sent in a Card Swap Only questionnaire and be a returning crafter from one of the previous Witch/Wiccan/Pagan swaps to be involved. Information on this can be found from RondaS at the main swap page:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=316028.0

Here's the link to the WWP 14 Swap Gallery for when we start sharing what our partners have made!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=316036.0

Please answer and post this quick questionnaire/remember to cross off your own name! in the card gallery thread.

Quickie Questionnaire:

Is it okay that the card has blatant pagan themes on it, or do you need to be careful of the other people in your house that may view them?

Does the envelope need to be discreet with regards to pagan themes?

Are you okay with tasteful nudity?

Would you prefer a traditional card or a postcard?

Do you get sickened by those personal news letters people sometimes include with their cards?

Anything else?

This gallery will serve a few purposes.

A place to post pictures of the cards you receive. You can post them as you get them or you can post several at a time. Be sure to include the senders name.
  THE IMPROVED TRACKING SYSTEM (courtesy of Saturn with modifications by WindoverIreland) that makes my job easier.
  A place to prattle on about Witch/Wiccan/Pagan Swap 14
  A place to check in with your progress

Heres our participants list. Your name will be blue when you have sent all of your cards and green when everyone has received from you. A number will be placed next to your name to show how many have received your cards, and how many have yet to receive.

PARTICIPANTS LIST:

1.   RondaS (4/4)
2.   DanniQuee (3/4)
3.   edelC Sent  (4/4)
4.   phnxreign99  (3/4)
5.   Phizzychick  (/4)

Please cut and paste this list in your post along with the quickie questionnaire in the card swap gallery. Once you send please modify your post to say youve sent and let me know the date. If you need help doing this, just let me know!

A little Mabon history and inspiration:

Mabon is the second of the harvest sabbats, the Great Harvest. It is also the Autumn Equinox. At this time, day and night are balanced in length and we use the light of the sun to gather and store crops for the upcoming winter and the light of the Harvest Moon to pay our respects to the coming of the darkness. The colours in the trees begin to shift from green to fiery reds and oranges and the animals begin their preparations for hibernation and migration. Mabon is typically celebrated by a large feast of Thanksgiving surrounded by friends and family.

At this time, we celebrate the Goddess as she passes into her Crone stage and Honor the God as he prepares to die and await rebirth in the Otherworld.

Mabon is a time to give thanks for the things you have, to count your blessings and to reflect on the balance in yourself and your life. Give thanks for the darkness along with the light.

----------------------------------------------------

Legends of Mabon

The name Mabon comes from the Welsh god of the same name. Mabon is the Young Son, Divine Youth, or Son of Light. Just as the September equinox marks a significant time of change, so, too, does the birth of Mabon. Modron, his mother, is the Great Goddess, Guardian of the Otherworld, Protector, and Healer. She is Earth itself.

From the moment of the Autumn Equinox, the Sun's strength diminishes, until the moment of the Winter Solstice in December, when the Sun grows stronger and the days once again become longer than the nights. Mabon disappears along with the light, taken just 3 days after his birth. Modron laments and mourns the loss of her son. Mabon is found thanks to the wisdom and memory of the most ancient of living animals - the Blackbird, the Stag, the Owl, the Eagle, and the Salmon.

Mabon had been happily dwelling in his mother Modron's magical Otherworld; her womb. It is a nurturing and enchanted place, but also one filled with challenges. Only in so powerful a place of renewable strength can Mabon be reborn as his mother's champion, a source of joy and the Son of Light. Once reborn, Mabon's light is been drawn into the Earth, gathering strength and wisdom enough to become a new seed.

---------
Persephone

According to Greek Mythology, this is also the time of year when Demeter, Greek Goddess of Grain, must say goodbye to her daughter Persephone, as she descends into the underworld to be with Hades, her husband.

The myth goes that Demeter, Persephone and some companion nymphs had been out in the field, harvesting grains when Persephone wandered off to pick some flowers. Hades, Lord of the Underworld, had taken a notice of the beautiful young goddess and fallen in love with her. Upon noticing her separation from her mother and company he reigned his chariot and rode to Earth's surface, kidnapping Persephone and taking her to the Underworld to become his queen.

Demeter, beside herself with panic and grief, searched for Persephone for 9 straight days. As her grief grew, she and the Earth began to wilt. Crops withered and died and the Goddess refused to return life into the crops until her daughter was returned to her. Zeus, knowing Persephone was in the Underworld, dispatched Hermes to retrieve the young goddess and return her to her mother so that the Earth would not perish.

Their reunion was joyous, but bittersweet, for though they were together again Persephone had eaten the seeds of a Pomegranate in the Underworld. Having tasted the food of the Underworld they knew she must return again to Hades. Zeus, taking pity on Demeter and her daughter, decreed that Persephone should spend half of the year with her mother and the other half with her husband.

Now, when Persephone descends into the underworld to be with Hades, her mother Demeter mourns and the crops wither and winter comes.

---------------------------------

Some symbols of Mabon typically include:
Pumpkins, Pomegranates, Apples, Wine, Gourds, Pine Cones, Acorns, Grains, Corns and Cornucopias.

Some Foods of Mabon:

Breads, Nuts, Fruits, Vegetables, Stews

Some Gods and Goddesses of Mabon:
All Wine and Harvest Deities

Goddesses: Epona, Modron, Morgan, the Muses, Pomona, Persephone

Gods: Green Man, Hermes, Mabon, Thor, Thoth

Activities of Mabon:

- Wine Making
- Gathering and Drying Herbs
- Hiking or spending time in the woods
- Create a Harvest Wreath
- Make a Gods Eye
- Make a Scarecrow
- Make an apple garland - http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/samhaincrafts/ss/Apple_Garland.htm
- Hold a feast! Take turns with your friends and family saying one thing you are thankful for.

Happy Crafting!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009 05:17:51 PM by DanniQuee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

DanniQuee
The Artful Danni

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009 08:33:34 AM »

PARTICIPANTS LIST: (with preferences!)

1.   RondaS - pagan theme ok/pagan envelope ok/shiney wangers ok/either style ok/letters ok/may make chunky pages!! let her know binding preferences - you're so brave Ronda!
2.   DanniQuee - pagan themes ok/pagan envelope ok/nekkid ok/traditional or postcard ok/letters ok/hopes she isn't a sucky co-org
3.   edelC - pagan theme ok/pagan envelope ok/nudity ok/either style/letters ok/likes those chunky pages.
4.   phnxreign99 - pagan theme ok/pagan envelope ok/tasteful nudity ok/either style ok/letters ok/Have fun! Loves all of our cards.
5.   Phizzychick - pagan theme ok/pagan envelope ok/tasteful nudity ok/either style ok/letters ok/may make odd shaped cars - let her know if you mind!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009 06:10:58 AM by DanniQuee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

DanniQuee
The Artful Danni

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009 08:34:51 AM »

Quickie Questionnaire:

Is it okay that the card has blatant pagan themes on it, or do you need to be careful of the other people in your house that may view them? Blatant is a-ok!

Does the envelope need to be discreet with regards to pagan themes? Nope.

Are you okay with tasteful nudity? Sure!

Would you prefer a traditional card or a postcard? Either.

Do you get sickened by those personal news letters people sometimes include with their cards? Nope!

Anything else? Hopefully I don't botch up this organising bit! Wink

PARTICIPANTS LIST:

1.   RondaS
2.   DanniQuee
3.   edelC     
4.   phnxreign99
5.   Phizzychick
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009 10:39:29 AM by DanniQuee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

RondaS
Greetings and Merry Meet!

I am better, but still easily tired...

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009 08:44:12 AM »

reserved
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feel I've been sick forever - still tired and RUNNING LATE!!!

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Give me a bag of tumbled stones and I will play for hours! Wink

Brightest Blessings!
RondaS

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009 06:53:31 AM »

sent mine out on Sept 14th!

Quickie Questionnaire:

Is it okay that the card has blatant pagan themes on it, or do you need to be careful of the other people in your house that may view them?

blatant is great!

Does the envelope need to be discreet with regards to pagan themes?

nah - my mailman has already decided I am a little, shall we say, different?

Are you okay with tasteful nudity?

sure - long as it is tasteful, or maybe shiney  Grin

Would you prefer a traditional card or a postcard?

don't care!

Do you get sickened by those personal news letters people sometimes include with their cards?

nah - I like them, but I am not likely to send one

Anything else?

I am feeling very adventurous and might do chunky pages so if anyone has a special configuration for a chunky page that is different from the WWP 13 let me know...

then again if I get a time crunch I might not do them so don't get your hopes up too much!

1.   RondaS
2.   DanniQuee
3.   edelC    
4.   phnxreign99
5.   Phizzychick
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009 11:42:40 AM by RondaS » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Brightest Blessings!
phnxreign99
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009 10:19:14 AM »

Small list of participants this time around ... maybe I'll go all out and do a good job for a change -  Wink

Is it okay that the card has blatant pagan themes on it, or do you need to be careful of the other people in your house that may view them? Yep - can't get enough Pagan imagery! (Although for some reason the cards I make never end up being very pagan  Huh )

Does the envelope need to be discreet with regards to pagan themes? Nope, don't care what the mailman/woman thinks!

Are you okay with tasteful nudity? Yep

Would you prefer a traditional card or a postcard? Anything at all - they sit on the piano like cards and then they will end up on the wall (eventually when I get my little sacred space back)

Do you get sickened by those personal news letters people sometimes include with their cards?  Nope

Anything else?  Have fun as always.  I love every card I've gotten so far and I can't wait to see what our little group comes up with this time!

1.   RondaS
2.   DanniQuee
3.   edelC    
4.   phnxreign99
5.   Phizzychick

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009 08:06:41 PM by phnxreign99 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got this piece of shrinky dink ... had it for 25 years now.  It's moved to five states and one European country ... and I just know, someday ... SOMEDAY ... I WILL use it!
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009 10:21:20 AM »

My Quickie Questionnaire:

Is it okay that the card has blatant pagan themes on it, or do you need to be careful of the other people in your house that may view them? Yep, blatant is fine with me.

Does the envelope need to be discreet with regards to pagan themes? No, I should think anything is fine.

Are you okay with tasteful nudity? Of course!

Would you prefer a traditional card or a postcard? Either is good with me!

Do you get sickened by those personal news letters people sometimes include with their cards? I don't really write them myself since I'm really not much of a writer, but if you send one I'm sure I'll enjoy reading it Cheesy

Anything else? I'm thinking of making cards which have an unconventional shape. If you'd prefer a normal style, just let me know! Of course I may change my mind completely and do plan B...

1.   RondaS
2.   DanniQuee
3.   edelC    
4.   phnxreign99
5.   Phizzychick
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009 10:22:52 AM by Phizzychick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

DanniQuee
The Artful Danni

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009 07:12:32 PM »

Ok Ladies, I updated the second post with all of our preferences for a quick reference cheat sheet! Seems like we're all ok with pretty much anything, so this should be fun! Cheesy

Just waiting to see if Edel will be able to do this while she's in the states and for any last minute joiners. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DanniQuee
The Artful Danni

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009 10:19:57 AM »

****Organizational Note****

Ronda was kind enough to send out the participants list today. Please go through and make sure that a) you received a list and b) that your address is correct.

I was a ninny last round and gave everyone the wrong postal code and got a whole bunch of mean messages from the post office.  Roll Eyes So it's good to double and triple check these things!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

RondaS

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009 04:26:18 AM »

what she said!

Ronda
Blessings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brightest Blessings!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Steps to Beautiful Nails
4 Tips for Using Bronzer
3 Tips for Applying Sunscreen
The Best Primers
Kelly Osbourne & Shay Mitchell Offer Up Their Best Beauty Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...