A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,491
Currently Running With Scissors:
506 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to mix your own and/or save goopy nail polish  (Read 7525 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wtpdesigns
« on: August 14, 2009 02:00:45 AM »

first let me say, i've been doing this for about 12 years, maybe longer, but 12 seems like a good guess, i was 17 or 18 when i started wearing polish in lots of colors lol before that it was black polish or sharpie and white out...

also, you should never judge polish by its price, my 5 top favs are all under $3 a bottle, in fact 3 of them are $1 each, i encourage you to buy the cheap clears at least, those are the best for mixing, youll use lots of this if you top coat every manicure anyway, and if you are unsure about mixing your expensive colors, spend  $5 and get a few bottles of cheapies to play with!!! who knows, you may create your favorite shade and never go back lol

how to save goopy polish

you can do it one of two ways, either buy a bottle of lacquer or polish thinner from a beauty supply, or, if you're into instant gratification and an antsy pants like me lol a few drops of a good watery type of clear (you know the kind, it's the kind that drips when you take the brush out of the bottle even though it's an inch away from your nail)

also, never ever ever ever add polish remover to any nail polish, when you go back later it'll either be worse than just gummy or goopy, or completely unusable... it may separate and be unmixable, it may look fine but be even more smelly, and stay that way, it may take hours to dry, who knows, there are all sorts of nasty things that happen... trust someone who made the mistake many times over the years

how to mix

*first you're gonna need a work surface, i suggest a piece of newspaper or something to at least protect your table (i work on my coffee table since i can turn like 6 lights on so i can see everything lol but just one good light is all you need really) , you're gonna need a piece of white paper as well, to test colors and also to have a starting point if you're trying to match an existing color

*next you'll need an empty or nearly empty bottle of whatever it is you don't mind losing (i say losing only because you'll be changing it when you add stuff, so don't use your absolute favs)

*you're gonna need a good clear... something watery so things mix well...

*several bottles of polish, good basics to have are white, black (i have 2 or 3 of each of these in varying coverage, one is a single coat type, one is almost clear and would take 5 or 6 coats for full coverage and one is in the middle, a typical 2-3 coat kind), and several shades of your favorite colors (or primaries that can be mixed to create your favs if youre more industrious) cuz you gotta have something to start with!

*polish remover for any mishaps

*if youre not very color savvy and dont know squat about colors and how they come to be, you can buy a color wheel at any craft store for $5 or less, you can also google color wheel chart if youre cheap like me lol itll help you out when youre stuck for inspiration and its also helpful for scrap booking and sewing, thats actually why I have one at all lol its good for telling you which saturation and gradient you need it sounds more complicated than it is, i swear

*also (not required, but they speed things along nicely), if you have some, bb's (like bb gun pellets lol) these are the same thing that most polish you buy today have already inside, but some companies have only one per bottle, some have none, i highly suggest two, it makes them mix better and faster (if you hear that metallic tick when you shake your bottle or see lil silver specks at the bottom of your bottles, you have lil bbs inside lol)

mmmkay now comes the fun take your empty or half empty bottle (if the remnants are dark and you have more than a manicures worth left, you may wanna keep to a dark color mix, same with white, if its literally just a mm of sludge on the bottom, dont bother with that rule of thumb) open it up and put the wand/brush to the side, you wont need this for at least a few now, pour in 10 or so drops of clear (it will probably flow and not drop, so just count out 2 seconds and stop) and about a 1/6 of a bottle of your starter (or equal parts of your base colors to fill about 1/6 of the bottle) if you pour too much, dont fret, itll be ok! now, replace the brush and close the bottle shake shake shake until you cant see too much of the starter remnants anymore, if this takes too long, put in more watery clear, 10 or so more drops, try again it should work now if not, repeat until it does though it never takes me more than twice now, with what you have would you like the color darker? add a few drops of black (or a darker color than what you have started already) lighter? add a few drops of white (or a lighter color than what you have started already)  would you like it less sparkly than your starter color(s)? try and add colors with little or no sparkle want it more sparkly? Use a clear with glitter or a frost that brushes on nearly clear repeat as necessary (remember about how much of each you use, when youve found your color, youll add appropriate amounts to make more of that color) once youve mixed about a bottle using these steps, youll need to decide if you want it as a sheer shade or a deep full coverage color, if you want the sheer, add lots more clear a bit at a time, shake and check, you may find you fill the fest up with clear and like it that way if you want the full coverage youre gonna repeat the recipe (it wont have to be exact, trust me, a general little of this lot of this remembrance will suffice) until your bottle is full

remember not to over fill, keep about a cm below where the cap starts unfilled when its brighter outside in the morning ill take a pic of the 15 or so colors i made over the last 4 days and if i can recall what i started with and added if any of you take a liking to any of my concoctions

also, forgive anything that needs more explanation, i'm a lil foggy right now, can't sleep lol, just ask me to elaborate more, and i also lost my cheat sheet so if i left out something you think needs adding, tell me

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've got drinks piling up on my desk and a stack of pills I haven't even opened yet!"
"We're not gonna hide who we are, ok? I mean, we date, we're straight, get used to it."
http://www.myspace.com/wtpdesigns
RCKFELLA
Tutorial Contributor

there's no substitute for time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009 12:27:55 PM »

ooooh thanks so much! i cant wait to see the pictures.

i'm going to have to try adding clear nail polish to my goopy one to see if it works. at least until i can get to some nail thinner. although i don't know how much it'll help, it's so goopy you cant even hear the bearings inside of it Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wtpdesigns
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009 01:58:52 AM »

i tried takin pix lol the batteries were down, but they'll be charged in the morning when there's light... and it'll take quite a bit of clear, but it'll work, if you can wait for the thinner it wont change the saturation of the collor at all, but the clear may add a coat or two to the final product
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've got drinks piling up on my desk and a stack of pills I haven't even opened yet!"
"We're not gonna hide who we are, ok? I mean, we date, we're straight, get used to it."
wtpdesigns
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009 06:16:41 AM »

almost all the colors look pretty correct on my monitor, just a bit dark, except the top row third bottle on pic one is grey, not at all purple... apparently my batteries have lost all ability to charge so i had to use my webcam lol
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009 06:19:00 AM by wtpdesigns - Reason: i'm spastic! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

delilahrose
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009 03:00:28 PM »

amazing! thanks so much, i never thought of this before. ive been wasteful for so many years!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Musefreak

I belong to you- Mon coeur s'ouvre a ta voix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009 11:09:32 AM »

thanks for the great tips, there is actually a great blog that i've discovered a few weeks/days ago Cheesy
it's called dr. frankenpolish Wink

i'd also like to know if this is really considered crafting- mixing your "own" colours together... i've got 12 colours so far and i'm constantly searching for colours to "franken" my polishes Cheesy

If you want to get your polishes a great sparkle, you can get glitters from your craft stores- or if you dollar store has them you can even get them there- you just have to be carefull that they may be a bit to shagreened- but if you like that, that's your own version Cheesy

you can even use pigment-powder( they use it in a lot of beauty products, a loose powder for eye-shadows or such i think) and add it to clear nail polishes or mix it with a colour you already have Grin
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009 11:41:03 AM by Musefreak » THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't resist "The Resistance" Cheesy
-
my Wist
-
Blog

interested in personal swaps
karen09
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009 12:01:08 PM »

This is all great info. I can never find the shade of purple I want.

I had another question. Is there a way to create a nail polish or somehong similar completely from scratch? I ask because my daughter who is one and a half loves nail polish as much as I do but she is going through her independent phase and wants to paint her own nails. Needless to say she makes quite a mess. I've been hiding the nail polish from her now but she always gets up set when she notices my nails are painted. Isthere anyway for me to somehow make a baby friendly nail color. It doesntb have to be made with the same consistancies of nail polish. Just anything that will stain or color her nails in a safe way. I was thinking like water colors mixed in a bottle or something like that. Any ideas from anyone? Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I went a little overboard making reusable nursing pads Tongue PM if you want to swap for some.
Looking to swap for an old skeleton key!

also looking for a penpal, i want to make friends all over the world!!
matuta

separated and now back again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009 08:46:59 PM »

I am thinking ... duh! How come I never thought to do this! So many bottles that I could have saved!

As for safe ones for kids, I would try an organic or natural store in your area. They would probably have ones that you could try, otherwise just google it and I am sure lots will pop up. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Musefreak

I belong to you- Mon coeur s'ouvre a ta voix

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009 10:21:52 AM »

i think there is a brand called piggy paint- i don't know the prices for that- might be quite pricey...

i think it will be quite dificult to make something from scratch- but that's just my thought
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You can't resist "The Resistance" Cheesy
-
my Wist
-
Blog

interested in personal swaps
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009 01:37:05 PM »

I love this method of nailpolishing. Adding little bits of mica samples (TKB, Coastal Scents, Conservatorie, etc) to existing colors changes and meh color to a must-wear.

Frankenpolish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Origami Christmas Tree
How to Create a Santa Origami
How to Create Origami Dragon
How to Do Origami Dogs
How to Do Origami
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...