A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 311,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paris Themed Wedding  (Read 5536 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kayliespeaker
« on: August 13, 2009 10:35:22 PM »

So, I have become addicted to the wedding craftalong post! I am getting married 03-14-10 and have just started planning the wedding. On top of that, I live 1200 miles away from the town we will be getting married in (as that is where family is).

I have been throwing around the idea of a Paris themed wedding, as that is where we got engaged. We have a very low budget (we are both students and are paying for it out of pocket) and are limited by what the town has available (ie: wines, breads, cheeses, etc.). This seems an impossible task, but I was wondering if you wonderful ladies have any ideas? You are all so crafty and creative!

Our colors (I think) are going to be green (clover) and white. Simple!

Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009 03:31:35 PM »

Ooh la la.  Okay, sorry, just had to do that Wink  First of all, congrats.  A Paris themed wedding sounds tres chic and cute! 

Why not do "Springtime in Paris" as you said you're tying the knot in March?  Do garden fresh flower arrangements like violets, pansies, clover, white daisies, bluebells, etc . . . With regard to your clothes, I suppose you could do anything from Marie Antoinette to 1940's glam . . . you might look around either locally or online for vintage clothing that you can alter to suit your whims/ fashion sense.  For food and drink, I've read in other posts that you can get fancy cheese and other "entertaining" staples from Costco or Sam's Club.  You could do the reception in the style of a little French Cafe, complete with crackers, pate or other dip, croissants (call a local bakery), wines, desserts, etc.  It seems that a decor complete with white string/ fairy lights, and maybe old black and white photos, would be fitting . . .  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
slksnell
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009 08:59:23 PM »

Here's something I found on Martha Stewart Wedding:

http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/handmade-party-favors?&lpgStart=1&currentslide=23&currentChapter=1#ms-global-breadcrumbs
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009 03:44:14 AM »

Hi Kaylie!

I did my graduation party last year in a Paris theme - probably siginificantly lower budget than even a low budget wedding, and it WAS in my backyard, but it might inspire  - here's the post: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=250684.0

In rough: My colours were pink & black, but it could easily be swapped to green and white. I set up the backyard like a bistro, with small tables with pink and black tablecloths - and the opposite coloured roses on each (black were tricky, we ended up getting painted ones).

I had themed food areas:
- A Fromagerie (cheeses) - labelled selection of French cheeses from the cheese shop in town, with a selection of crackers and pickles
- A Charcuterie (meats, etc) - trays of deli meats, and I included the main course - Coq au Vin, the salad, and the quiche here
- A Boulangerie (breads) - I had big baskets of different French (and French-ish) breads - the croissants went fastest!
- A Chocolatier - chocolate fountain with fruit to dip
- A Patisserie (pastries) - part of the dessert bar, with petit fours
- A Creperie - the rest of the dessert bar, a make-your-own crepe station

And I decorated, in general, with plenty of Black & White Paris photos on tables, more of my black and pink roses, lace table cloths, a big French flag, and I was even lucky enough to borrow a 5-foot cast iron Eiffel Tower! (From a friend who worked at a party place. Great photo shoot area).

Hope it helps Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snips and snails
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009 08:27:08 PM »

A Parisian wedding reception will be lovely! There are lots of things you can do on a low budget. I whipped up a little sample save the date as an example. You can print things on photo paper at walgreens for less than .20 a piece, can't beat it. 

Also, ebay has some pretty good deals on centerpieces. I thought these little lanterns might be perfect!

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-FANCY-WHITE-LANTERNS-WEDDING-CENTERPIECES-LOT-NEW_W0QQitemZ360195493335QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53dd530dd7
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snips and snails
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009 09:41:48 PM »

Here's some more of my favorite, budget friendly and DIY links:

"Diamond" ring napkin rings
http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/browse/processRequest.do?demandPrefix=12&sku=3/968&prodCatId=388560&mode=Browsing&erec=38&No=0&sp=true&Ntk=all&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&N=388560+1506&tabId=1&requestURI=processProductsCatalog&sd=%26%2365279%3B%26%238220%3BDiamond%26%238221%3B+Ring+Napkin+Rings

Wedding favor bag tags *FREE - PRINTABLE
http://www.betsywhite.com/flightsoffancy/index.php/2009/03/diy-download-paper-bag-favor-labels/

Table Numbers *FREE - PRINTABLE
http://creaturecomforts.typepad.com/photos/freebies_and_tutorials/printable-table-cards.html

Seating cards *FREE... again
http://creaturecomforts.typepad.com/photos/freebies_and_tutorials/freebie-treats.html

Return address stamp
=tags&includes[]=title]http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=32438642&ref=sr_list_21&&ga_search_query=address+stamp+&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=3&order=date_desc&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

Felt flowers... boutonnieres, bouquets, corsages, anything really
http://grosgrainfabulous.blogspot.com/2009/09/poppy-boutonniere-tutorial-and-giveaway.html

Hope I helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
davidsdesire
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009 01:41:11 PM »

mmmmm...i can hear accordion music now and smell fresh, hot bread.  I think i'll slap some cheese on a piece and have a glass of champagne!

I think it sounds like a LOVELY theme.  Please do come let us know what you are doing.  Almost makes me wish I had any affinity for France.

Great ideas, guys!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snips and snails
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009 08:25:59 PM »

Just for fun: (Yeahhhh Lennon is my niece, and she is in <3 with Nick Jonas)

Sorry if you're sick of me, lol. But have you ever seen when people use street names instead of table numbers? Maybe do that with streets in Paris or something... or even landmarks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftNClutter
Formerly: shuffar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009 08:32:29 PM »

Ack! Woodstock, IL! that's where I'm from. Sorry it was just weird to see that pop up in the recent posts while I was actually on the board, I mean woodstock's small - who knew there were other craftsters there. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bottles caps? Please!

::blog:: - Craft 'N' Clutter
::wists:: - inspiration & desires
::Stalker?:: - That means you,
snips and snails
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009 06:25:57 AM »

Hehe! I'm actually from an even smaller town, New Lenox (right by Joliet). But my aunt and uncle got married in Woodstock! It was probably the best wedding reception we've ever been to, we had a blast!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Pineapple Cheese Ball
How to Make Chocolate Lava Cake
An Easy and Delicious Pudding Recipe
Home-Made Coconut Macaroons Recipe
How to Make Raspberry Éclairs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...