A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Altered puzzle, "ABCs of Iniquity" (NSWF; pictures aplenty)  (Read 6572 times)
Tags for this thread: altered_art , puzzle , altered_puzzle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

calluna
« on: August 13, 2009 08:51:59 PM »

Yay, my first "adult" posting!  Grin It contains violence, sexual imagery, and drug content, but it is poking fun at all 3. I don't use drugs, I dislike drug culture, and I don't want anyone assuming otherwise in my posting this project.  Smiley

audio-astrophysics got us all started altering puzzles recently in the Altered Puzzles Craft-along thread. Some people are doing an ABCs theme, since that works almost perfectly with a 25-piece puzzle. I didn't want to copy, but then I realized how much fun it would be to do the alphabet in an irreverent, distasteful manner (Edward Gorey wrote/illustrated an alphabet book as such--"O is for Olive, run through with an awl..." Cheesy).

I've inadvertently been using the theme of sin/vice/transgression (in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way) a lot lately. Within the puzzle, I'm kinda poking fun at the finger-pointers and the "sex, drugs and rock-n-roll" activities/behaviors at which the finger-pointers are pointing. Don't think I'm celebrating any of it, or that I condemn all of it. I don't engage in most of these activities, but I do think that the time has come for a puzzle full of vices!

The completed puzzle (The original puzzle was of Care Bears, by the way.  Smiley)...

to change your image viewing settings please click here

Now let's take a trip through the alphabet. The pics may be bigger in my Craftster photo gallery.

A is for Alcohol and Addiction (at the bottom of the piece is a downward spiral)
B is for Brothel

C is for Crunk (and within that, of course, includes Cannabis and Chalice or Pimp Cup. The image is none other than Lil Jon with his not-so-lil necklace that says "Crunk Ain't Dead". The triangles at the top are from paper made out of hemp, appropriately enough)
D is for Degenerate Dealings with the Devil

E is for Evil (this one was too easy; I feel like I should do more with it but I like it as it is)
F is for Felony

G is for Gambling
H is for Hallucinogens

I is for Illegal Inclinations/Instigations (the larger of the 2 images is of Bonnie and Clyde)
J is for Junkie

K is for Kidnapping and Knifing (look closely. I did alter the image but not the stabbing. The Easter-gone-insane images here and on the V-piece I received from gavagai in Sweden, and on the back they said in Swedish, "Have a hard-boiled Easter!"
L is for Lascivious, Loose and Lusty (hard to see it now, but the background is of a woman tucking a large amount of cash into her bra)

M is for Meth Lab
N is for Nudie Bar (if you've ever been to the area around Los Angeles Int'l Airport, there's an old nudie bar with a 1960s sign saying "Live Live Nude Nudes", which has always been a source of amusement, and I tried to recreate it in the background)

O is for Opiates
P is for Political Corruption (there is no Q)

R is for Reckless Rock and Roll
S is for Steroids (this one needs work. it could even be a different piece and theme altogether, there are so many things to do with "S", but steroids seemed like a nice change of pace)

T is for Tobacco (it's a full ashtray in the background, somewhat hard to see now)
U is for Using others

V is for Vile Violence and Vice (look closely; the Eastery image isn't altered...see the K-piece)
W is for Wicked

X is for X-rated
Y is for Youthful Yearnings (yeah, that's a stretch. The phrase on there is Spanish, and translates to "money, fame, bed," as in the 3 aspirations that get people in trouble)
Z is for...um...Zen Summary? This one still needs something, maybe someone pointing their finger at the viewer.

I hope you've been mildly amused by my puzzle (rather than super-excited like, "Far out, man! Druuuugs!"  Roll Eyes)!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009 06:49:43 PM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009 09:03:12 PM »

I can't see them that well, but I will look in the morning after I wake up from my 'dick'el hangover.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
calluna
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009 09:11:18 PM »

I can't see them that well, but I will look in the morning after I wake up from my 'dick'el hangover.

Yeah, they're looking smaller than I'd hoped...I will try resizing the originals and replace them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009 09:16:04 PM »

This is an excellent collection. I laughed at a few of them! They look great together.

This would make an excellent conversation piece among company. You should mount it in a shallow shadow box!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunnyface
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009 09:41:00 PM »

Awesome awesome awesome!  I love all your pieces, especially the ones with the weird Easter imagery. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009 09:46:19 PM »

Great!  I love this whole concept.  Your images are very clear and easy to understand.  Excellent job on this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

landofoz
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009 09:58:07 PM »

I love the to-do list: 1. Dinner with John.  2. Buy condoms!!!  Hopefully she has enough for that #1 item!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009 03:49:30 AM »

This is so great! I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ryana
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009 07:09:13 AM »

Very cool.  And I have a Q for you - the first thing I thought when you said there was no Q was, 'Quaaludes!'  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009 10:19:06 AM »

Ok, now I have had a closer look. Last night I was celebrating not getting a job.

I love the theme, and I can identify with a lot of the pieces, which is not something I am proud of.

Anyway, this was so original and thoughtful. I have 2 puzzles in the works, and only want to post when completed.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009 10:20:34 AM by lovesclutter - Reason: bad grammar » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Lightsaber - Shake 4.1
How to Use Multi-Cam - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Use Sprocket Holes - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Understand The Sync Menu - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Understand Transitions - Final Cut Pro 6
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...