A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 306,434
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Altered puzzle, "ABCs of Iniquity" (NSWF; pictures aplenty)  (Read 8252 times)
Tags for this thread: altered_art , puzzle , altered_puzzle  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

calluna
« on: August 13, 2009 08:51:59 PM »

Yay, my first "adult" posting!  Grin It contains violence, sexual imagery, and drug content, but it is poking fun at all 3. I don't use drugs, I dislike drug culture, and I don't want anyone assuming otherwise in my posting this project.  Smiley

audio-astrophysics got us all started altering puzzles recently in the Altered Puzzles Craft-along thread. Some people are doing an ABCs theme, since that works almost perfectly with a 25-piece puzzle. I didn't want to copy, but then I realized how much fun it would be to do the alphabet in an irreverent, distasteful manner (Edward Gorey wrote/illustrated an alphabet book as such--"O is for Olive, run through with an awl..." Cheesy).

I've inadvertently been using the theme of sin/vice/transgression (in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way) a lot lately. Within the puzzle, I'm kinda poking fun at the finger-pointers and the "sex, drugs and rock-n-roll" activities/behaviors at which the finger-pointers are pointing. Don't think I'm celebrating any of it, or that I condemn all of it. I don't engage in most of these activities, but I do think that the time has come for a puzzle full of vices!

The completed puzzle (The original puzzle was of Care Bears, by the way.  Smiley)...

to change your image viewing settings please click here

Now let's take a trip through the alphabet. The pics may be bigger in my Craftster photo gallery.

A is for Alcohol and Addiction (at the bottom of the piece is a downward spiral)
B is for Brothel

C is for Crunk (and within that, of course, includes Cannabis and Chalice or Pimp Cup. The image is none other than Lil Jon with his not-so-lil necklace that says "Crunk Ain't Dead". The triangles at the top are from paper made out of hemp, appropriately enough)
D is for Degenerate Dealings with the Devil

E is for Evil (this one was too easy; I feel like I should do more with it but I like it as it is)
F is for Felony

G is for Gambling
H is for Hallucinogens

I is for Illegal Inclinations/Instigations (the larger of the 2 images is of Bonnie and Clyde)
J is for Junkie

K is for Kidnapping and Knifing (look closely. I did alter the image but not the stabbing. The Easter-gone-insane images here and on the V-piece I received from gavagai in Sweden, and on the back they said in Swedish, "Have a hard-boiled Easter!"
L is for Lascivious, Loose and Lusty (hard to see it now, but the background is of a woman tucking a large amount of cash into her bra)

M is for Meth Lab
N is for Nudie Bar (if you've ever been to the area around Los Angeles Int'l Airport, there's an old nudie bar with a 1960s sign saying "Live Live Nude Nudes", which has always been a source of amusement, and I tried to recreate it in the background)

O is for Opiates
P is for Political Corruption (there is no Q)

R is for Reckless Rock and Roll
S is for Steroids (this one needs work. it could even be a different piece and theme altogether, there are so many things to do with "S", but steroids seemed like a nice change of pace)

T is for Tobacco (it's a full ashtray in the background, somewhat hard to see now)
U is for Using others

V is for Vile Violence and Vice (look closely; the Eastery image isn't altered...see the K-piece)
W is for Wicked

X is for X-rated
Y is for Youthful Yearnings (yeah, that's a stretch. The phrase on there is Spanish, and translates to "money, fame, bed," as in the 3 aspirations that get people in trouble)
Z is for...um...Zen Summary? This one still needs something, maybe someone pointing their finger at the viewer.

I hope you've been mildly amused by my puzzle (rather than super-excited like, "Far out, man! Druuuugs!"  Roll Eyes)!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009 06:49:43 PM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter

msassive stroke March 18 not right in the head.:(

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009 09:03:12 PM »

I can't see them that well, but I will look in the morning after I wake up from my 'dick'el hangover.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
calluna
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009 09:11:18 PM »

I can't see them that well, but I will look in the morning after I wake up from my 'dick'el hangover.

Yeah, they're looking smaller than I'd hoped...I will try resizing the originals and replace them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009 09:16:04 PM »

This is an excellent collection. I laughed at a few of them! They look great together.

This would make an excellent conversation piece among company. You should mount it in a shallow shadow box!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunnyface
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009 09:41:00 PM »

Awesome awesome awesome!  I love all your pieces, especially the ones with the weird Easter imagery. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009 09:46:19 PM »

Great!  I love this whole concept.  Your images are very clear and easy to understand.  Excellent job on this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects-shooting for 100--- 122 done

Just married...after 22 years of unwedded bliss.
landofoz
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009 09:58:07 PM »

I love the to-do list: 1. Dinner with John.  2. Buy condoms!!!  Hopefully she has enough for that #1 item!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009 03:49:30 AM »

This is so great! I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ryana
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009 07:09:13 AM »

Very cool.  And I have a Q for you - the first thing I thought when you said there was no Q was, 'Quaaludes!'  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter

msassive stroke March 18 not right in the head.:(

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009 10:19:06 AM »

Ok, now I have had a closer look. Last night I was celebrating not getting a job.

I love the theme, and I can identify with a lot of the pieces, which is not something I am proud of.

Anyway, this was so original and thoughtful. I have 2 puzzles in the works, and only want to post when completed.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009 10:20:34 AM by lovesclutter - Reason: bad grammar » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make 3D tiles
How to make a Porcelain Pot with a Stained Clay Marble Effect
Finished Pieces from the Kiln
How to Throw a Small Bowl on the Wheel
How to Infuse Glass and Clay
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Your Own Patron Saint
Folding in the New Year!
Tute Tuesday: Joan Jett Inspired Black Heart Soap

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...