A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
725 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Watercolor stencil painting with tute :)  (Read 7537 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LovecatLiz

Killer Rabbit! He gonna eat chu.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 13, 2009 06:26:57 PM »

(deep breath) Woo! That was a lot of picture taking. Lol. But here is the tute for the watercolor painting. It's very easy and very fun. I NEVER paint, and I could do it, so have no fear.Ok, heres what you need.

*Printer
*Black paint
*Assorted size painbrushes (be sure to get a teeny tiny one, you'll be glad you did!)
*Watercolor kit
*Regular paper, fancy painting paper, don't matta!
*Some good background music

I'm going to make a portrait of myself to give to my mom for her birthday.
Heres the picture of yours truely.  Grin

Ok so for the "stencil" you can make it real easy on yourself and use Photoshop and I think they have a magic stencil button. I have never used Photoshop (gasp, I know right) So I just used my computer's picture editor and took away all the saturation, then played around with the brightness, contrast and midtone. Mess around with your picture till you get something that looks like a stencil. I messed around with mine for quite a few minutes. Heres what I got and printed it out.

Now I took a piece of paper, put it on top, then taped both to my window to trace....and please....make sure it's daytime Grin

Your now going to take a pencil and trace around the parts that your going to paint black. And the parts on your picture that need shading, shade lightly with your pencil.

Ok not bad so far right? Your doing good. Now you'll see you have a weird looking version of your picture.

Your now ready to paint. Set up your little station. It helped me a lot to tape the original stencil up so I can glance at it to help me with the shading.

Take your bigger brush and start painting the big pieces. Be careful, don't rush, and pay attention. So you'll have something like this.

Take your medium and tiny brushes and fill in everything. Be neat, don't rush and sing a long to your tunes. Remain calm, it can get kinda frustrating with the tiny brush.

Halfway there...

Finished?.....awesome. Tongue
Now heres the hardest part in my opinion. The shading. Of course you don't have to add shading if you don't want to. The picture looks good either way. I used a small brush and dipped just the tip with paint. I then brushed it on a piece of scratch paper once, then LIGHTLY rubbed it on where I wanted shading. I recommend practicing on a piece of paper before you start, you'll see what I mean. So heres my picture finished and with my shading job. I decided not to paint my heart necklace, because in the stencil, it doesn't look like a heart anymore.

Get your big brushed rinsed well. The watercolor part is fun. Play around with colors. I like to add two to three on mine. My base color I chose blue. Oh remember though, don't get the paper too wet. Easy on the water you add to the watercolor paints.

I then added some green here and there. Hard to see in the picture I know.

Last but not least, I added a splash of yellow in three places to make it pop.

YAY!!!!! YOUR DONE! And be proud of your masterpiece. Let it dry and frame if you wish.

Here it is. I also made one of my sister along the way.Be proud of yourself, and please share if you make one.

Thank you for reading. I hope my directions were ok.  Huh

THIS ROCKS   Logged
skaborsk
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

always procraftinating..............

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009 06:36:31 PM »

this looks so awesome! your directions are great too. youre mom's going to be stoked!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please visit my etsy shop. i love it when people buy my crap!  
http://www.etsy.com/shop/cappywanna
LovecatLiz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009 06:40:07 PM »

this looks so awesome! your directions are great too. youre mom's going to be stoked!

Ah! Thank you so much Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tularosa
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009 08:22:17 PM »

Those are really cool! What a terrific idea. If you did a series of them with different backgrounds, they'd be really Warhol-esque.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." - Pablo Picasso
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009 09:40:27 PM »

beautiful girls make beautiful pictures, obv!

great job Smiley Your mom'll love them, and I think I might steal your stencil ideas a bit (minus the water colour) since I have had no luck at making my own thus far...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LovecatLiz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009 04:27:15 PM »

Those are really cool! What a terrific idea. If you did a series of them with different backgrounds, they'd be really Warhol-esque.

OMG I was already planning to do that sometime. I LOVE Warhol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkie_poh
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009 02:39:16 PM »

Fabulous Cheesy

Just confirming, the black paint is acrylic, yes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tularosa
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009 08:18:23 AM »

Not my post, obvs., but the first pic shows the black paint container and it says something like "Acrylique" on it. I think though, you could do it all with watercolor, but you'd have to paint your background first then paint the black part over.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkie_poh
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009 01:09:03 PM »

Not my post, obvs., but the first pic shows the black paint container and it says something like "Acrylique" on it. I think though, you could do it all with watercolor, but you'd have to paint your background first then paint the black part over.  Smiley

Actually, the text in the first pic is "Jurrassic Park"  Cheesy
But on second glance through the pictures, you are entirely correct -- thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tularosa
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009 01:58:34 PM »

oh, yes. well, one of the pics anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fluffy Pancake Recipe From Clinton Street Bakery
How to Make a Valentines Day Meal for the Whole Family
Big Mac Vs. Big King: Burger Battle - Which Is Better?
Classic Reuben Sandwich Recipe
Party Sandwich Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...