A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,474
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Small Beast  (Read 2916 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ExLibris

~kArMa WiRdS sChOn RiChTeN~

View Profile WWW
« on: August 11, 2009 03:18:22 AM »

When I was a small and cheeky kid,I totally loved ´The Beauty and the Beast´!
I still can sing every song out of memory  Roll Eyes
Anyway.
Out of that strange ´love´ I sit down some day and listen to that songs while just start workin.With time that small guy comes out and I really really like him,even if I cant put him as a necklase(his horns or his beard would broke  Sad )
Maybe,if Im better in modeling things,I´ll make a new one,some beast that looks more seriouse  Wink
Hope you guys like him  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009 11:17:36 AM »

Very nice sculpt!  Wish I could see an even closer-up version though Cry  Hard to tell that it's really a miniature except for the shot of it sitting on your finger which I almost didn't notice.  Were you using polymer clay for this?

If you want to wear it as a pendant, you could always cut the head mostly in half (behind ears, removing the back of the head), then mount what's left to a flat base shape of some kind also pressing most of the projecting parts more onto the base or more onto the head which should protect the projections from excess breakage, and perhaps add some mane to show from the front. 
Or you could use armatures inside the projecting parts. 
Or you could coat the whole thing with layers of polyurethane or even liquid polymer clay to strengthen it.

You could also cut the head as mentioned and mount it to a base, then probably also get away with attaching in onto a box or something (top or side) as a decorative embellishment, where it wouldn't be unnecessarily stressed.

Diane B.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
ExLibris

~kArMa WiRdS sChOn RiChTeN~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009 12:58:15 PM »

Very nice sculpt!  Wish I could see an even closer-up version though Cry  Hard to tell that it's really a miniature except for the shot of it sitting on your finger which I almost didn't notice.  Were you using polymer clay for this?

If you want to wear it as a pendant, you could always cut the head mostly in half (behind ears, removing the back of the head), then mount what's left to a flat base shape of some kind also pressing most of the projecting parts more onto the base or more onto the head which should protect the projections from excess breakage, and perhaps add some mane to show from the front. 
Or you could use armatures inside the projecting parts. 
Or you could coat the whole thing with layers of polyurethane or even liquid polymer clay to strengthen it.

You could also cut the head as mentioned and mount it to a base, then probably also get away with attaching in onto a box or something (top or side) as a decorative embellishment, where it wouldn't be unnecessarily stressed.

Diane B.

Uhm well,hes just 4,5cm high(with beard  Wink )
Hes complete out of polymer clay.Uhm I´ve used ´Fimo´ but a friend told me that its kinda polymer too  Lips sealed

Well,I thought it would be great to have the whole head as pendant,but the biggest problems are his horns and his beard,they´re pretty fine
but thank you for the tip,I think next time I´ll try that version of pendant!  Wink
Uh and kind of liquid polymer clay(here ´fimoliquid´)....Its hard to get it,most of the shops wont order it for me and so I decidet to use some acrylic varnish.Its not the best but it has to be ok til I´ve found something better

Well with the real polymer clay I havent that much experience,can I put it with the box in the oven or should i glue it on the box after finishing it?

Thank you for your tips  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009 10:54:28 AM »

Hes complete out of polymer clay.  Uhm I´ve used ´Fimo´ but a friend told me that its kinda polymer too . . .

Actually, Fimo is a polymer clay.  More specifically, Fimo is one brand of polymer clay (manufactured in Germany), but certainly not the only brand. 
Fimo comes in two lines these days too, which are a bit different in final strength in thin areas, and also in the colors offered:  FimoClassic and FimoSoft (FS includes the "Effects" colors).
Other brands of polymer clay are Cernit (also manufactured in Europe), Kato Polyclay (available now in the UK as well as the US and soon to be in more places), Premo, and also various "Sculpeys" (original Sculpey, SuperSculpey-flesh, Sculpey III, Studio by Sculpey, Sculpey Ultralight, etc...the first 3 of those are the weakest of all polymer clays after curing in thin or projecting areas though).

it would be great to have the whole head as pendant,but the biggest problems are his horns and his beard,they´re pretty fine but thank you for the tip,I think next time I´ll try that version of pendant!

I think if you can just create the horns and beard so they're touching --and therefore protected by -- a new base or the head, they should be fine.  Let us know how it goes!
Oh and btw if you didn't know, polymer clay can be cut after it's been hardened too... just soften the clay a bit by reheating it at around 225 F or so (110 C); then while it's warm, cut down through it with a long sharp blade (preferably one that's not too flexible, for better control) --it will cut pretty easily once it's warm enough all the way through.

Uh and kind of liquid polymer clay (here fimoliquid´)....Its hard to get it,most of the shops wont order it for me

You can buy all 3 brands of liquid polymer clay online yourself, plus most of the brands of polymer clay, even outside the USA.  As an example, Sue Heaser's online shop in the UK has all 3 brands of liquid polymer clay (including Fimo Liquid Decorating Gel) as well as most of the brands/lines of polymer clay, and more:
http://www.polymerclaypit.co.uk/acatalog/liquid_polymer_clays.html
http://www.polymerclaypit.co.uk/acatalog/Polymer_Clays.html

Well with the real polymer clay I havent that much experience,can I put it with the box in the oven or should i glue it on the box after finishing it?

First, here's a whole page at my site with lots of tutorials, examples, tips, etc. about making boxes with polymer clay --it can be done in all kinds of ways!:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/vessels.htm

As for baking, you can cure polymer clay (including both lines of Fimo) along with other materials as long as those materials can take the low heat we use for polymer clay, for about 30 minutes... that would include metals, glass, ceramics, wood, paper, papier mache, etc... and most plastics, but not all plastics. 
So if your box were made from any of those things, you could attach the clay (head, etc) to the box when raw or baked, then bake them together (though for baked clay, see additional info below).
If the material your box is made from isn't okay in the heat we use though, then you'd need to create the clay piece first and cure it, then glue it or otherwise attach it (with an eye pin or wire, etc., etc.) to the box.

Raw polymer clay will stick well to raw polymer clay if there's enough contact between the two pieces, so if you use a polymer clay box (or a box that's been "covered" with a layer of polymer clay) and your clay head has enough contact, you can just press the head onto the box well then cure.
If you want to attach baked clay to raw clay, you could use liquid polymer clay or perhaps other adhesives between the baked and raw clay then bake together (if there were also enough contact).
For attaching baked clay to baked clay, or to non-clay surfaces, you'll need to use some kind of adhesive (2-part epoxy glue, E6000, etc) or use a mechanical hold (wire, eye pins, or anything that works).

(For some of those possibilities, it would be best to have a wide flat back on the clay piece to be added so that there could be lots of contact, but you could always attach it more like a big bead in various ways too if it weren't wide and flat... see this page for some ideas:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/beads-holes.htm
...or see the page linked to above, under Lids & Feet which is under "More"
...or see this page, under Knobs:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/covering.htm )

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009 11:32:07 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
patchyemm
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009 02:02:54 AM »

He's gorgeous  Smiley I understand your love of Beauty & the Beast - I had a crush on him.  Lovely work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Grown-Up Glitter Eye Makeup
Beauty Test Lab: Brush-On Mascara
Is Coconut Oil a Beauty Miracle?
How to Rock Wet-Look Lids
What Make Up to Wear with a Tan
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...