A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,526
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My "spa"  (Read 3926 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Orange Swan
« on: August 13, 2009 06:14:50 AM »

I thought I'd like to share the before and after photos of my bathroom. I called this thread what I did because, even though the finished bathroom is small and ordinary and doesn't qualify as anything that could be considered a spa, it looks SO much better than it did before I started work that once I was finished I felt like I had a spa for awhile. I did all the planning and work (and lugging supplies home on public transit) myself: prepping, priming and painting the entire bathroom; replacing the fan and the light fixtures; installing towel racks, a toilet paper holder, a new doorknob, hooks on the back of the door, a new medicine cabinet, storage cabinet, a shelf, shower curtain bar, and a new shower head; and making a shower curtain.  

Here's the link to the set of before and after photos on Flickr, with commentary:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39715742@N07/3652111935/in/set-72157620187374457/

I've got more rooms/areas of my house close to being done, so if anyone enjoys seeing the bathroom pics I can always post new before and after photo sets as I get the decorating and photographing done.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011 06:56:12 PM by Orange Swan » THIS ROCKS   Logged
gizzybird
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009 07:24:21 AM »

Wow, what a huge difference! Your bathroom "spa" looks so much better now! Would you like to come transform my bathroom for me? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009 10:08:38 AM »

One million times better, and very pretty. I love the light fixture!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
poe poe
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009 11:01:50 AM »

Wow, you did a great job. Bathrooms and kitchens are susposed to be the most expensive rooms to remodel. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the final price for the whole project? I didn't know you could repaint the bathtub tiles. I bet that's much cheaper than replaceing them. What kind of paint did you use for that? It looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.
-Aldo Leoplod-
Orange Swan
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009 11:36:52 AM »

I think the whole reno cost somewhere between $700 and $800. I really didn't keep an exact account. The cabinets and light fixtures were about $350, and then I had to buy three kinds of paint (two kind of primer and the bathroom and kitchen latex) which must have cost about $100, plus all the other stuff I mention installing. I bought a new bathmat and toilet seat cover because my old ones from my previous place were worn out. I also bought new towels in my colour scheme, which weren't strictly necessary, but they made the bathroom look so much nicer. I saved a little money by buying a few useful thrift shop accessories: the painted wooden boxes, the Irish coffee glass, a small basket that holds rolled up extra washcloths (not shown). The green glass apple that sits on the glass shelf came from a dollar store years ago and has since been knocked off and smashed (sniff).

You can paint tiles. I really recommend it. It's so much cheaper and easier than retiling. I think it actually looks better than bare tile because the grout gets painted too, so it's a nice uniform colour and you'll never have to worry about discoloured grout. And you can paint it any colour or shade you want, instead of being limited to whatever kinds of tiles are available. To paint tiles, start by scrubbing down the tiles meticulously, then scuff them with sandpaper. Then prime them. You will need to use a special primer. I think mine was called Bull's-Eye 1-2-3, but just ask the staff at the paint store and they'll tell you what to buy. Put on a solid white coat of primer (probably it'll take two coats), and then paint over that with the latex bathroom and kitchen paint of your choice. If you are painting your shower, the paint should have a week to cure before you use your shower again (taking a bath would be fine). It will not last forever but in my case it's been two years since I did the bathroom and it still looks just as good as the day I finished it. I think it helps that I use a gentle liquid skin cleanser, not bar soap, when showering. This means there's no soap scum and the shower tiles stay very clean. The paint will last a lot longer if it doesn't have to withstand scrubbing. Not to mention the time saved cleaning the shower - not one of my favourite activities.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Batzilla
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009 07:39:21 PM »

From what I can tell from the photos I'd have NO idea you painted those tiles - and the result looks so much neater and cleaner - and makes the room look so together as opposed to the mismatched set of patterns you started with. It must be so nice to look around and have it all finished! Not to mention have more light in there. Or at least it looks so much lighter in the after shots!

I envy you the cloth shower curtain - we have sliding glass doors on our showers and I'm forever having to find new ways of cleaning off the hard water deposits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Batty

Cuppa (bloggish thing), Flickr (photoish thing)
Orange Swan
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009 08:53:26 PM »

It does look WAY lighter in there. And so much cleaner. It was actually reasonably clean before except for those awful blinds, but the old paint and tiles made it look so dingy.

Funny you should say that - I would have liked sliding glass doors. Maybe I'll get some sometime down the road when I replace the tub. Meanwhile I just lived with it and made a shower curtain. Not only does it add to the look of the bathroom, but it was actually necessary. There's some sort of backdraft in the bathroom that, if I only have the liner up, causes it to blow in towards me while I'm showering. Then it sticks to my wet skin. I used to spend my entire shower time fighting off the liner. Now, with the heavier fabric curtain up, the draft is seemingly screened out and it's not a problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsfillier
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009 09:03:38 PM »

Very nce. I like the lamp
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruthless
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009 03:32:54 PM »

It does look WAY lighter in there. And so much cleaner. It was actually reasonably clean before except for those awful blinds, but the old paint and tiles made it look so dingy.

Funny you should say that - I would have liked sliding glass doors. Maybe I'll get some sometime down the road when I replace the tub. Meanwhile I just lived with it and made a shower curtain. Not only does it add to the look of the bathroom, but it was actually necessary. There's some sort of backdraft in the bathroom that, if I only have the liner up, causes it to blow in towards me while I'm showering. Then it sticks to my wet skin. I used to spend my entire shower time fighting off the liner. Now, with the heavier fabric curtain up, the draft is seemingly screened out and it's not a problem.

You can buy liners with magnets on the bottom that seem to stick to the tub. Also the newer style shower curtain rods are now curved outward and it gives you a bit more room. I had glass shower doors in my old rental house I hated them-the track gets mucky and is hard to keep clean (if you're lazy like me) and they get soap scummy no matter what you use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Orange Swan
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009 06:04:03 AM »

The liner I had did have magnets in it and it still blew inwards. And I couldn't use a shower bar that curved outwards because I wouldn't be able to get the bathroom door completely open.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Create A Better Story - Motion Sketches Ep4
How To Create A Better Story - Motion Sketches 3
How to Create Better Media - Motion Sketches 2
How to Create A Better Story - Motion Sketches 1
How to Debunk Hollywood Urban Legends
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...