A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,458
Currently Running With Scissors:
701 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilting software for Embroidery Machine?  (Read 396 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chelsea
« on: August 12, 2009 07:13:54 PM »

I was with my mom when she was looking for a new sewing machine a few days ago. As she was talking to the lady I wandered around the store and was looking at the embroidery software since my mom might get a machine, I was seeing if there was anything I was interested in (since I actually prefer embroidering by hand). 

Then I saw a CD that does quilting squares.  Just wondering if this could be a solution to having my quilt (that I haven't even started yet) quilted.  Instead of sending it off, or using a shop's longarm machine.   

I don't know ANYthing about machine embroidery or quilting...but my assumption on seeing this CD...will it quilt small blocks of my project?   I'm guessing, you put your quilt w/ batting and backing into the hoop and let the machine embroider these designs onto it...which would "quilt" it? 

Here's an example of one I could find online.
http://www.embroideryonline.com/products/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemCodeID=1597785785
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009 06:48:18 AM »

You can quilt on an embroidery machine however I found it to be a bit fidgety.  What you are looking at however is not what you would need for quilting on an embroidery machine... this is more like what you'd want - stippling designs.
http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/product.aspx?CatalogNavigationBreadCrumbs=Emblibrary;Quilts;All%20Quilting/Stippling%20Designs%20-%20Full&ShowTop=true

Having said that - you got to remember that your quilting area is no bigger than your stitch out area - which means most machines will only be able to quilt a 5" square.  There are designs that are split so that you can do one section, rehoop, stitch another section, rehoop... that to me takes a lot of time.

There are also designs for machine embroidery to quilt as you go too... which is another option.
http://www.ericas.com/embdesigns/embroidablock.htm

There are several sites that offer both ways to go - that was what I pulled up quickly for you just for a visual on it.  I have not bought anything from ericas.com but everything I have done up from emblibrary has worked up like a dream.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Do You Dress Like a Hippie?
How to Pull Off Leather in the Summer
Best Tips For Preparing Your Feet For Stiletto Season
How to Wear Black Overalls for Every Occasion
How to Find the Right Bra
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...