A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to make a dress like this???  (Read 1804 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NewYorkgogostyle
« on: August 12, 2009 04:55:30 PM »

i dont know how to make it all fluffy from the bottom. Im actually gonna change the top part of the dress. its just that how do i get the dress to puff up how it does in the following pics??? If anyone knows please share. Or if ur interested n making the dress and posting a tutorial on it id appreciate that too  Grin So any idea as to how to get the dress to puff up the way it does on the pictures  instead of it laying flat???
Is it a sewing technique???

thanks everyone!!   Wink

Also you see how this dress seems like its slightly longer in back then in front?? how can i duplicate that??

in this picture it seems like the edges of the layers are not sewn but actually folded. How do i achieve that??

THIS ROCKS   Logged

a million and one ideas.... a million and one fulfilled dreams...and counting.
Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009 05:14:36 PM »

I'm thinking it's gathered at the waist and that the folds you are seeing are because the belt is so wide, it's causing the material to fold were it comes out from under it.  It also looks like the hemline is circular as opposed to a straight cut.  Usually this is so that there is no gathering at the waist and it can be a flat seam at the waist, in this case it looks as though they made the waist parts wider than normal so that gathers could be created.  The bottom layer looks as tho it's the reason the top layer is more poofy. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NewYorkgogostyle
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009 05:17:16 PM »

I'm thinking it's gathered at the waist and that the folds you are seeing are because the belt is so wide, it's causing the material to fold were it comes out from under it.  It also looks like the hemline is circular as opposed to a straight cut.  Usually this is so that there is no gathering at the waist and it can be a flat seam at the waist, in this case it looks as though they made the waist parts wider than normal so that gathers could be created.  The bottom layer looks as tho it's the reason the top layer is more poofy. 

THANKS!!! you were a great help!! i will post pics of the dress when i finish making it. UR THE BEST!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009 06:15:40 PM »

For your question about the folding at the hem, it's probably self-lined (which helps to add structure and general poofiness).  So you'd line the skirt part, using the same fabric.  Sort of like how you'd do a bubble hem, except the two pieces are the exact same shape and size, so there'd be no gathering there.

And yeah, I agree with Cheyenneswthrt07, that the rest of the poofiness comes from a gathered circle skirt.  And a circle skirt that's gathered quite a bit, I'd add.  That one probably has at least twice that girl's waist measurement, un-gathered.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
wtpdesigns
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009 06:51:21 PM »

it also looks to me as if maybe the skirt is a modified circle type, except there are two or more layers and the circles are perhaps uneven like this
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've got drinks piling up on my desk and a stack of pills I haven't even opened yet!"
"We're not gonna hide who we are, ok? I mean, we date, we're straight, get used to it."
http://www.myspace.com/wtpdesigns
NewYorkgogostyle
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009 10:52:07 AM »

thanks everyone!! u guys helped a lot!!
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

malkavian6
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010 06:17:12 PM »

What kind of fabric.. would you say that is? /noob
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- karyn

Currently participating in swap(s) below!

- Ga Ga for Granny Squares :
Sent out my squares!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New York Fashion Week Detail Cam: Shoes - Spring 2014
H&M Fashion Haul
How to Get the Selena Gomez Look
Four Fun Looks for Fall
FIRST LOOK: Carolina Herrera - NYFW Spring 2014
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...