A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
461 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cute corset style top out of jeans; Now with tutorial  (Read 36348 times)
Tags for this thread: corset , featured_project , tutorial , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RaraAvis
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: August 12, 2009 09:23:04 AM »

I just finished this top over the weekend. It is made out of the legs from a pair of jeans. I originally intended to make a dress following lucifers angels tutorial..
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=247985.0
I was having some problems and I really liked how the top part came out, so I decided just to make it into a top instead of a dress.

First I made the basic form of the top and added the grommets to the back. Since the top is a corset style it was really hard to put on with just the back lacing, so I thought adding hook and eye claps to the front would make it a more casual easy top to wear. It was my first time using hook and eye tape and I ran into some problems. I originally wanted the hook parts to face in, but had to have them facing out, because it was easier to sew on that way. I wanted to be able to wear the top with jeans, but I thought that would be a lot of blue denim for an outfit, so I dyed the top purple. I added black lace around the edges and over some of the seams. In the front there had been a small stain so I ran two rows of black and white lattice trim, to cover the stain and because I thought it really added something to the top. I did not use boning, thats probably why it ripples so much, but in person it is not as noticeable in the picture.

Overall, I am really happy with the top and cant wait to wear it out! I want to try making a similar top out of jeans in the future. It was surprisingly easy and a lot of fun to make.

Thanks for looking!!! Questions, comments, criticisms always appreciated.

TUTORIAL:

Ok so finally I have a tutorial to post, hopefully it is not to confusing. Feel free to ask any questions.

1. So start by following lucifers angels tutorial (link posted above). Use a pair of stretch jeans, and cut the legs where she does. Sew just the front together (if your jeans are super stretchy you can sew the back together if you can get the corset on and off; eventually you will remove these stitches).

2. Hold the corset up to yourself and figure out where to cut and put seams down the sides.

3. Slowly start taking in the front and side seams to make the corset conform better to your shape.

(note the double lines in the picture represents the double seam on a pair of jeans)

4. Now that the corset is more shape fitting, remove the first few inches of the front seam at the top (Only if you want the V shape above the bust, if you want it to be flat you can leave it). Hold the corset up to yourself. Pin down the edges where desired, to get the outline you prefer (Make sure you take the time to experiment).

5. Take the front seam and lay it flat and fold each side down. Fold the back edges over and sew down.

6. Add grommets to the back. About 1 inch apart works well. (You may want to make any final adjustments in the fit).

7. Remove the seam holding the front together (Remember the raw edge should have been sewn down, so you should be left with and nice edge). Add hook and eyes, or hook and eye tape.

8. Add lace around the edges if desired. Lace up the grommets. Make any finishing touches.

Done!

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009 04:37:00 PM by RaraAvis » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creatively_clumsy
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009 09:33:22 AM »

Beautiful! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Oddly
Tutorial Contributor

The Nuckin' Futs Knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009 09:35:51 AM »

VERY pretty  Shocked Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fallingstarnjt
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009 10:29:47 AM »

Thats a gorgeous top! I looked at it and started looking around the house for jeans to manipulate! Great job, what did you use for the criss-cross ribbon or did you do that yourself?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rebeccalynnis

who will love a little sparrow?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009 10:38:03 AM »

great work! it's gorgeous, i love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~raeblossom.etsy.com~*~      ~*~twitter~*~      ~*~FBfanpage~*~
H A N D M A D E . E C O - F R I E N D L Y . F A S H I O N . & . A C C E S S O R I E S
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009 11:26:54 AM »

so cute! It's adorable! I really like the lace and details!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Boo_its_Brittany
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009 11:59:29 AM »

Thats awesome!
I wanna make one now.
I love the lace and everything.
<3!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See something you like? Check out my shop!
www.facebook.com/FrillsandChills (Don't forget to "like" Cheesy!)
www.etsy.com/shop/FrillsandChills
*custom orders welcome!*
RaraAvis
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009 01:23:10 PM »

Hey everyone thanks for the comments!!!

Thats a gorgeous top! I looked at it and started looking around the house for jeans to manipulate! Great job, what did you use for the criss-cross ribbon or did you do that yourself?

fallingstarnjt, I actually bought the ribbon on ebay. I was buying the hook and eye tape from a seller and also saw the ribbon and thought it was cool looking. But it could probably be made easily, with the right amount of patience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

19libra86
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009 03:07:31 PM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

It's amazing!!!!!!!! Really...  Shocked Shocked Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meltingfish
Its always a long story

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009 07:39:54 PM »

OMG, you totally rock! It looks super professional and well made! The color really complements your lovely hair color.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009 07:40:40 PM by meltingfish » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never underestimate the power of suggestion.

I am interested in personal swaps for fabric and quilting squares. PM me if you're interested!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ashish Fall 2014 London Fashion Week
How to Style Wavy Hair
Top 4 Secrets to Longer Hair
How to Get Oscar Inspired Hairstyles
How to Get a Perfect Pro Blow Out at Home
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...