A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Book Club and Swap (Sign-ups CLOSED; Sendouts Oct 30, 2009)  (Read 18321 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FicklePegasus

Evil, but in a good way

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009 08:22:29 AM »

Out of all the books, the only one I refuse to read is Once and Furture king.  I've had the book for about 10 yrs, and I've picked it up and put it down too many times to count.  I can't get into it.  It makes me sad because I love just about every book I've read about King Arthur and Camelot Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/FicklePegasus

My Baby Cuthulu Blanket was featured on http://geekcrafts.com/
Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009 10:13:04 AM »

I had to take a class on the Arthurian legend and we had to read "L'Morte de Arthur," "Mists of Avalon," "The Once & Future King," and like 6 versions of "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight." That class (and subsequently my grade) were the only things that helped me get through "The Once and Future King." It's a good book but it's very, very slooooow. While the other books offer spins on the legend, TO&FK is pretty ho-hum. And let's face it, by the time you get to college you're so familiar with the Arthurian legend you need some spin & spice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
Muria
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009 10:44:59 AM »

I had the same problem with Once and Future King.  I think I also had trouble with Mary Stewart's Arthurian legend (3 different books, only title I can remember is The Crystal Cave), even though I like lots of her other books. I'd love just about anything from Lois McMaster Bujold, or Terry Pratchett to be added to the fantasy or sci fi list. They're both amazing authors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009 10:54:11 AM »

I'm leaning towards the short story group (even though I still don't have a Facebook account*). It's the only category where I haven't read at least one of the books already (some categories I've read more than one). Plus, school will be starting up pretty soon, and I can read short stories in short sittings. I tend to get sucked into a story and nothing else gets done until I finish it. So, short stories help me to avoid that Wink

* Would a Yahoo group be a better option? It seems a bit more "anonymous," which is the thing that concerns me about Facebook- it's such an extensive network...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
RebelTrendsetter
You Can't Always Judge a Yarn by it's Roving.

Part time Domestic Goddess, full time Art Geek

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009 11:14:29 AM »

If you're bothered by the privacy thing, there's a way to where you can make your facebook profile private and unlisted. I have real life friends that I cannot find on facebook using their real full names, email address, or anything and they DO in fact have facebook accounts. I can look into this further for you and give you instructions on how to do this.

Edit: Just to clarify, with your facebook completely private like this you will be able to add friends and groups, but people cannot use facebook's search engine to find you by your name, username, email address, or city/state.

Edit Part 2: Facebook, under "privacy settings" you can make different parts of your profile information available to friends only. You can also make your profile unsearchable like i mentioned. You can even block what kind of posts (like status updates, wall posts) people see on their news feed. It does look like you can lock your facebook down to where only the friends you confirm to be friends can see your information. So you won't get a friend request or messages from your first boyfriend in 7th grade or something like that lol
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009 11:23:28 AM by DesignVigilante » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly Known As: DesignVigilante
Pintrest! -- Etsy Shop --
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009 11:22:59 AM »

Thanks for that added info on Facebook. I'm a public school teacher, and our union advises us against joining things like MySpace and Facebook because it doesn't take much to cause problems. Things taken out of context can cause an unbelievable stink...

If I have a lot of control over who can see things (If I've added people as friends, how much of my stuff can their other friends see?), and what gets posted on my site, I'd feel a little better about joining...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RebelTrendsetter

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009 11:24:23 AM »

i added a bit more information. Also, you don't have to fill out the entire profile. You can just fill out the basic information like your name.

Edit: one more edit, there are specific options on who can see what. You can set it to "everybody and networks", "friends and friends of friends", and "Friends only".
Friends only will lock it down to just your friends.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009 11:26:23 AM by DesignVigilante » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009 11:33:00 AM »

Okay, I'm almost convinced Wink

My sister has been bugging me to join, and even my mom is on it! I do feel behind the times because I'm not on it, but I had a friend who lost her job over a blog post, so I get nervous...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RebelTrendsetter

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009 11:38:21 AM »

Oh i totally understand your fears. And i think thats why facebook allows you to lock your profile down as much as you want. Like i said I have a friend, i know her full name, where she went to school, her hometown, email address, etc. but I cannot find her on facebook yet i know for a fact she is on facebook. She uses it to keep in touch with her friends from college and that's it. So you can be on facebook and no one would know besides the people you want to find you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2009 12:08:31 PM »

I love The Crystal Cave lol!

All these suggestions and input are great! We are going to try this first round on Facebook and see how it goes. You can always join facebook under an alias, you don't really have to use your true full name.

Nymeria~did you have to read....shoot I forgot the name, something with a P? Super boring Arthurian book, like middle english.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Clarins BB Skin Perfecting Cream SPF 25 Review
Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration After Sun Review
Shiseido Sun Protection Compact Foundation Review
Hampton Sun SPF 35 Luxe Sport Continuous Mist Sunscreeen Review
La Roche-Posay Anthelios 50 Tinted Mineral Sunscreen Fluid Review
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...